Monthly Post for March 2022

Options

Replies

• mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Woah I’ve missed a lot AGAIN!!

Backtracking to Argentinian food here!! That sounded so good Meghan! I really don’t know anything about that cultures’ food.. I will investigate! The lentil dish sounded good too!! Thanks for sharing!! So nice to receive leftovers of something yummy!

Eggs: sometimes on a Sunday I make a ‘scrambled frittata’. Sautéing onions, coloured peppers, zuchini & broccoli until browned then pour whisked eggs over and set for only a minute then get my flipper and cut into 6 slices like cutting a pizza and flip… except the eggs are still really runny so I’m flipping portions of it at a time and some end up scrambled and some pieces are whole… cook until it is quite browned and totally done, I sometimes stir it one time around if pieces are to big… then serve with “La Victoria Salsa Brava”. (We can only get this in the states!!) Best hot sauce for eggs!!! Also best for a pizza too!! (Which I had last night!) viola! Yum!!

Coffee: I have not had coffee for about 25 years!!! Weird I know. I used to have it all day long, then I’d find it in the microwave…. Or I’d forget where I put my cup and grab another cup and have 2 on the go! Then I just stopped one day and haven’t had it since. I go off an on with tea. All my life I’ve had plain hot water only. Sometimes with lemon or a slice of fresh ginger etc. I’m on tea lately, decaf English breakfast & green tea in the afternoon.

Kate: Lololol on cleaning off your dining room table so you can eat like humans!! Glad you’ve started your spring break now… napping is so so so good!!

Meg: hahahaaa “we don’t have WiFi” haha… omg! I gave my mother my old cell phone (iPhone 8) but she doesn’t have it connected to a phone number… I’ve programmed it to her WiFi so she can only text message me and learn how to receive texts from me… we’ve now graduated to sending photos! So she is now sending me pictures of her back yard thru her kitchen window, her freshly waxed hardwood floors or the muffins she just took out of the oven! I send her pics of the dog! Baby steps for her but she loves it! I only have a couple icons in her home page (less is best) and one is the weather… she loves checking the weather in other cities around the world! So funny. My dad can’t even record a hockey game on tv! He needs my mom to do it!!!! Bahaha

Well sorry, this is way long…. I need to check more often! It’s my husband bday on Monday so we’re celebrating all weekend of course! I reluctantly bought him golf clubs!! He’s been talking about it for several years… his friends ask him to play… they are a used set and he picked them out, but he’s had both knees partially replaced so he may have some limits… as long as I don’t become a golfing widow it’ll be nice to have him out of the house for a bit! :#

Happy sat! Good luck with your ADF Kate! You can do it! I’m going to try hard to review and achieve something on my goal list… but first I’m checking out Argentinian Milanesa!
  • Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Happy Monday!

@KateNkognito yes, I have heard that too re: insulin spikes. Need to be careful especially when fasting. I know some say no milk or cream in coffee or anything while on a true fast but I have always done it anyway as I cannot drink coffee without it! Some teas I can do though. :) Hope you have a nice break!

@mamainthekitchen love the catch up post. LOL Hope you got some good research on Argentinian Milanesa! We had two that my guy's Mom gave us to put in the freezer, for dinner on Saturday night. Delish! Hope your husband has a very happy birthday today!

We had some windy / snowy / rainy weather on Saturday, so aside for a quick trip to Wal Mart (which was dead) we stayed in. Yesterday was sunny but cool. Went out and got some errands done. We have lots of ice melting on the deck again. Sigh...

Today it is supposed to be sunny and in the mid 50's F and tomorrow same but 60's F! Planning to take a walk later on. Spring is almost here!!

Been looking around for a new bathing suit or two and some nice long dresses to wear on vacation and at work in the summer. Keep me posted if you happen to see any great online deals anywhere! :)

Enjoying a pretty quiet day at work which is nice! Home today and in the office tomorrow.

Have a good day and see you soon!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning!

Hope your week is off to a good start! Mine appears to be so far!

We took a nice walk last night after work. Fitbit said I burned like 300 calories! I don't know about that!? LOL Anyway, feels good to get the blood moving again. Supposed to be nice today, so maybe another walk later. :)

Have a good one and see you soon.
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,554 Member
    Options
    Hey, all! I ended up making a drive to my parents' house yesterday. Eldest was supposed to drive up and fetch the youngest, but my husband freaked out about both boys being in the car together, alone. It was a nice day, so not a big deal. Six hours of driving, though. :o
    Fasting is going "ok". I am struggling with over eating for my one meal. Need to plan something to keep me distracted until my system gets used to it.
    I am so much enjoying my break. Today I am going to clean and do a bit of lesson planning. Only 9 more weeks. :)

@Meghan509 Glad the weather is improving! Sounds like a nice walk, too. I am going to sneak away from the dog and walk a bit later.

@mamainthekitchen Loved your long post. My mom is the same way with technology. My kids taught her how to video chat at the beginning of COVID. She uses it all the time now. Baby steps. One day she might even be able to program the VCR (yes, they still have one).

Off to do the stuff and things. Tomorrow the boys and I are going to the local wildlife park. It is pretty cool. Tigers and giraffes and lemurs and bunnies... Lots to see and do, but not so huge as the zoo that takes all day. A nice 2-3 hours. Plus it will be a fast day, so I can burn extra fat!

Have a good day! Stay healthy!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning!

Happy Thursday and Happy St. Patrick's Day to those celebrating!! Lots of folks wearing green today at the office, including me!!

Hope you had a great visit to the wildlife park, @KateNkognito, That sounds fun!!! We love animals. We have a little gray cat that likes to visit us in the warmer months. Can't wait to see her!

I forgot to check in yesterday. LOL Last two days have been good. We did have another nice walk after work on Tuesday night!

Today it is rainy and 50 degrees F. Tomorrow back to sunny and warm!

Hope you have a good Thursday. See you soon!
  • KateNkognito
    Options
    Well, I had a lovely day time with the boys! Didn't fast, but that's ok. We fed bunnies and guinea pigs and lorikeets and a giraffe and ducks and fish and goats and llamas. Saw super cute baby cheetahs! And my favorite: the otters! A very lovely day. :) Hope everyone had a great day!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning and happy Friday!

Oooh that sounds awesome, @KateNkognito!! All cute animals! I love the otters too. They have the cutest face! :smiley:

Things are good here. Plugging along. Home today and looking forward to warm weather later today! Might just have to go for a nice walk after work again!!

Hope you have a nice weekend. Any fun plans? We are meeting up with friends tomorrow for dinner.

See you soon!
  • KateNkognito
    Options
    Yesterday was warm and sunny. Today: snow. Just spring time in the Midwest. :D
    My mother-in-law's 90th birthday is on Monday, so my sister-in-law and her daughter and granddaughters are coming to visit this weekend. It's going to be a party!
    Just realized I only have three more days of break. Must do all the things today. Or maybe tomorrow... LOL!

Have a great weekend, all!
  • mamainthekitchen
    Options
    Hi all!

Fasting has been so difficult lately… maybe cause it’s been damp and cold out! Comfort food has been on the menu! Who wants a salad when you’re wearing fuzzy socks & turning up the furnace!?

Glad you’re enjoying your break Kate! Time goes by so darn fast I can barely keep up with the laundry I was suppose to do last week! Ah….Another person born in 1932!! Just like my folks!! Enjoy the celebrations!! And lol on your husband worried about your boys driving in one car.. alone! Haha omg I soooo get that!! The worry is exponentially worse when they get their driver’s license!!
    Sounds like your wildlife adventure was fabulous!!

Meghan I bet you’re happy it’s Friday and you can enjoy the weekend off!! Good for you getting out walking!! That is what I need to do!! I’m tending to stay put lately… my dog is hard to leave on her own. She likes me in the room and has become quite clingy. All very normal I’ve read.

Rock fish for dinner tonight! It’s a pretty cheap fish! But quite good and I think it is more substantial than a piece of sole which is so thin. I like to cook it pan fried with lots of fresh garlic, butter and tarragon with some fresh lemon… tons of broccoli on the side (and a few tiny red potatoes for the husband). Yum! I bought some bacon yesterday too and I feel like one of those big country breakfasts soon!! Sigh

Happy Friday! Enjoy the weekend!!!
  • mamainthekitchen
    Options
    Ughhh…. What a day.
    My dog is back in her harness so we can help her walk. She had a reprieve there for a bit…. Meds need to be changed now I think. Stairs are a problem. Calling dr tomorrow. Eating properly is a bust! No exercise either! :/ Can’t believe Spring is here! Hope you guys have a good start of the week. I’ll post again soon
  • KateNkognito
    Options
    I posted yesterday, but it didn't take! Grr.
    @mamainthekitchen Hugs. For you and your doggie.
    Last hour of break. :/ Have a great week!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning,

Hope you had a nice weekend.

Most of the weekend was beautiful. Sunny and warm on Saturday up until around 7 or 8pm (see below). Sunday was warm too but cloudy. We got some shopping done on Saturday during the day and on Sunday we relaxed most of the day. I got lunch made for the next few days and got laundry done and folded. I like starting the work week with chores crossed off the list. I wanted to share my chicken recipe that I made for lunch, but can't find it. Sigh... Will keep you posted.

We had bad weather come through on Saturday evening, right as we were supposed to be meeting our friends for dinner. So we cancelled. :( Next time. Better to be safe than sorry. Driving through heavy rain and hail is not cool.

@KateNkognito Hope your MIL has a great birthday! 90 is awesome! This means she was 40 when I was born in May... LOL Hope your break was a good one and you feel recharged and ready to teach those kiddos.

@mamainthekitchen rock fish sounds good! Now I have to Google. LOL I like the sides you prepared with it. Sorry about the doggie. Hugs all around. <3

Working home today. Pretty day here. If it is nice later we will try and go for a walk.

See you guys soon!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Here is the recipe I made for lunch. I make it in the slow cooker, seven hours on low. Below are my ingredients. Makes six servings and I make roasted broccoli for the side.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/braised-chicken-with-artichokes-and-olives-51150800

2.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
    dash of ground black pepper
    1 medium Spanish onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon turmeric
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
    1 pinch of red pepper flakes
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 bay leaf
    2 cups low sodium chicken broth, store-bought
    2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
    juice from one lemon
    1 can organic chickpeas, drained, rinsed
    1 jar of marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
    1/2 cup chopped green Spanish olives
  • KateNkognito
    Options
    Today was a pretty good day at school. The kids were tired and I didn't give them any academic heavy lifting to do.
    However, and any gents will want to skip this part, if you rupture an ovarian cyst right before that time, it really sucks. I had hot flashes like you wouldn't believe, plus my classroom temperature was somewhere near that of the surface of the sun. :s:o>:)B)
    I am tucked in bed already. I *should* be making my lesson for tomorrow, but I think I will walk on the wild side and wing it first thing in the morning. :D
    Have a great week, y'all!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning!

Ugh, work has been crazy lately again. Hopefully the candidate coming in tomorrow to interview is good. So far I have only seen one person come through for an in person interview?! Sigh... :(

LOL @KateNkognito so sorry about the female issue you have been dealing with. Not laughing at your pain, just the way you describe the heat and hot flashes. Good times, good times...

Not much new here. Plugging along. Hope you have a good day. See you soon!
  • mamainthekitchen
    Options
    Quick post here!

Holy Moses Kate!! Hope you are ok!! I can relate to the temperature of the suns surface… but rupturing the cyst? Holy yikes!! <3

Meg your recipe above sounds so delish! Not sure my fam would go for it, but I could try…….

Gotta run! Talk later
  • KateNkognito
    Options
    Tomorrow and the next day are state testing in my class. Send alcohol.

Cyst never hurt, but the hot flashes! Dear Lord! I have been sweating like a teenage boy at track meet in July!

I have decided just to be fat for a while. I'm at least skipping breakfast, but the diet Mt. Dew every morning is probably not my best life choice. But it *does* keep the not-yet-fully-formed humans alive, so will probably not give it up just yet.

Have a good one! Be healthier than me!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning!!

Just having a little overnight oats and they are yummy! Honestly have not been fasting too much. Just calorie counting. I find that when I eat breakfast I am just not as hungry at lunch and the rest of the afternoon while at work. Who knows. :)

Super excited that my Dad and Step Mom are going to be coming up to visit and stay with us and other family members for ten days in June! You may recall last year my Dad was dealing with stage 3 esophageal cancer. He went for chemo and radiation and is cancer free as of late last summer. Thank God.

Not much else here. Hope you ladies are hanging in there. See you soon.
  • KateNkognito
    Options
    @Meghan509 That is so fantastic to hear about your dad! I hope your visit is lovely!

Administering state testing is like watching grass grow... in the desert.

Have a good one y'all
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning from cool and wet New England!

@KateNkognito thanks! So nice to be able to have a place where we can have family come and visit as well! Our last place was small and outdated. LOL on the state testing. :smiley:

Not much happening here. Met the Assistant who interviewed yesterday and she was super nice! Both of us worked for the same (large) company for many years, but not in the same office. Hopefully she works out and takes the job if they offer it to her.

This week at work we've had a spring cleanup. Everybody is going through their desks and cubes and cleaning and tossing stuff out. Lots of stuff had accumulated since the beginning of the pandemic when we all got sent home. Crazy how two years has flown by! There is a free lunch for us today for all of our hard work. I know it is from an Italian Deli, so I will do my best to make smart choices.

Have a good day and see you guys soon!