Replies

• ideas2
    ideas2 Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    ✅ Exercise: 35 minutes walking, 20 minutes swimming
    ✅ Calories
    ✅ Tracked

1 passday used (Mar 13)

I set my calorie goal at what I suppose is maintenance level and then after I exercise I usually usually find I achieve a 500-1500 calorie deficit below that. I did it this way because I fast for up to 24 hours on an irregular schedule and plan to eat at my maintenance level the day after a 24 hour fast. However many maintenance days I need is ok with me though, even if I did not fast the day before, but I am eager to be slimmer so usually have to make myself eat at maintenance levels the day after a fast. I dont want to change my calorie goals that often. Doing it this way does makes it fairly easy to stay within ¨my calorie budget¨ so it probably makes it easier on me for the purposes of this group than people who set harder daily goals. If I get to where I am not losing satisfactorily than I will reduce the calorie goal.

Personally I dont think the calculations are that accurate so I really do not obsess about the numbers and am getting more casual about the measurements as well. I try to record everything so that I am mindful of my choices. What I expect is that the weight loss will slow down as I get closer to my healthiest weight.

• mshawski
    mshawski Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    ❌✅✅

Food wasn’t terrible but over, still under maintenance though. Whenever I do GF I find I’m extra hungry the first week until I settle into it so I’m calling it a win.
  • victorious55
    victorious55 Posts: 3,292 Member
    Options
    March 28, 2022

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes

Habits to maintain this month:
    Kitchen Closed? Yes
    Did you go "nuts" with nuts today? No (26 days -free)
    Within Sugar macro today? Yes (26 days)

Pass day 1/3 (this is for accountability to myself and my records).
  • yrc_pr
    yrc_pr Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    ✅ Exercise
    ✅ Calories
    ✅ Tracked

5 Pass Days Used
  • enlightenme3
    enlightenme3 Posts: 2,529 Member
    Options
    ✅ Exercise - 1 hour of Jazzercise
    ✅ Calories -
    ✅ Tracking -

Closed all my Apple watch rings today
    3 Pass days used

Documenting consistency (if there is a P=instead of number its a Pass Day)
    UAC: 1-2-3-4-P-6-7-8-9-P-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-P-25-26-27-28

As far as the calorie settings, I used MFP's guided setting. Originally I said I wanted to lose 1.5 pounds/week and with 35 pounds to lose, it had me at 1200 calories/day (excluding exercise calories). Somewhere along the way, I change my weight loss goal to 1 pound/week and it still came out to 1200 calories/day. Just recently, I dialed it back some more to 0.5/pounds/week and lo and behold MFP gave me a whopping 1280/day!! So just now, I put myself at maintenance, and it gives me 1540 calories. I don't know how all this gets calculated.

That being said, I have generally between 1300-1500 calories depending on how much exercise I get.
  • ForLangston
    ForLangston Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    yyy
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,141 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? 22 minute walk, 68 minutes on the Peloton, 5 minute post-ride stretch
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes

Pass days used - 6

When I first started in Jan 2021, I let MFP set my calorie target for me based on weight loss of 2 pounds a week. I have always tracked and ate back my exercise calories because I didn't want to feel like I had to exercise a certain amount to justify my base calories. I personally find it easier to have my base calories based on no intentional exercise and then to eat beyond that to fuel whatever workouts I might have. I have totally fallen back in love with exercise and I want to move my body for more than weight loss so this allows me to exercise as much as I want and not feel under-fueled.

Anyway, I was losing more than 2 pounds a week on that calculation, so eventually I started weighing daily and tracking my net calories against that weight loss trend to find my own estimated maintenance calories. I now take a deficit equal to up to 1% of my current weight on the days I'm taking a deficit.

Until I'm done losing, I do toggle into periods of eating at maintenance - 10% if there is a special occasion that I know taking my normal deficit will be difficult at. I decide this intentionally before the day begins so I don't make any occasion a reason to be near maintenance.

The nice thing about having my spreadsheet of data is that over time I have lots of validation of what my maintenance will be and/or how it's adjusting over time. I sort of do a revolving estimate based on the last 7 weeks or so, so as I lose weight and my body adapts I will be adjusting in relation to that.

That's all that goes into it for me - I don't track any other macros so my net calorie allotment is all I worry about.
  • loopydo2017
    loopydo2017 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Yes x3. Posting an update of the creek melting from my morning walk. Soon I will be scouring the water and banks for beaver sightings!

I set out to lose half a pound a week since I didn’t have much to lose. I set my own calorie limit at 1450 and don’t add on exercise calories at this point since my workouts are minimal burn.
    I think MFP wants me to lower the cals to continue losing half a pound but so far I’m still on a downward trend and will likely switch to maintenance in the next month or so.

4djkhxa6zr0c.jpeg
  • Jan1936
    Jan1936 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    3 x yes

Number has varied greatly- as I shrink and become more active the calories really shift. I am trying to pay more attention to my macros and hydration right now.
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,141 Member
    Options
    @loopydo2017 Signs of spring - exciting! Looks like a great place to walk - thanks for sharing
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,965 Member
    Options
    Date: 03/28/22

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes 👍🏻
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day 👍🏻
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?👍🏻

(Documenting consistency (if there is a P=instead of number its a Pass Day)
    [UAC: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15 -16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25-26-P-28-29-30-31]

March goals
    1 Miracle Morning ~ S.A.V.E.R.S
    2 Wake up EARLY for meditation
    3 Yoga (4 times weekly)
    4. Minimum sweets (work them in my calorie goal)
    5. 30 day squat challenge
    https://youtu.be/g83v1m2P4_g[/spoile]
    6. No late night snacking
    7. Daily journal logging
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    Options
    3x Yes
  • jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 4,068 Member
    Options
    Monday March 28

✔️✔️✔️
    Exercise was two power walks: one outdoors and one on the treadmill; squats and pushups; deep stretching. A good day.

75 active minutes
    13,500+ steps

One pass day used March 18.
  • calvin20874
    calvin20874 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    3/28

Exercise: 150 minutes
    Tracking: yes
    Calories: under
    Pass days used: 2

Winner's circle: likely
  • lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,729 Member
    Options
    28/03/2022
    Exercise – yes, bike ride, gym and cardio.
    Tracking – yes
    Calories – yes
    3 pass days used
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,003 Member
    Options
    March 28
    ✅✅✅
    3️⃣ pass days

Sleep better
    Successfully held portions of 4 foods whee I want them!

I’ve averaged approx 2,080 cals per day. since March 2018. I walk 10K steps (4.5 miles avg) daily which allows me to eat nearly as much as when I was obese & sedentary.

If I eat more than that, I gain
    If I eat less than that Iose.

5’ 8.5” 228lb sedentary 1,977 cals
    5’ 8” 160 lb moderately active. 2,030 cals

So, I’ve been going over that by about 50 calories

I’m going to set my calorie target to 2,050 & see what the scale does!
  • Caroline_slowandsteady
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments on my starting question. Real food for thought.

@jamcnewman
    Working with a dietician sounds like it’s been really helpful for you. Maybe that’s something I should do.
    I also like that you don’t feel you’re denying yourself – I would like that feeling too!

@TerriRichardson112
    I am glad that you have found a good maintenance number that you feel like you can stick with

@snowshoe072
    I like the idea of tweaking based on what the scale says

@SummerSkier
    I am glad you’ve found the TDEE method helpful

@Mrs_Hoffer
    I am having maybe a similar situation, that seeing where the trend is going over time can be tricky

@ideas2
    I like the idea of having your calories set at maintenance level and then having an occasional fast day. Kind of the opposite of what I am doing – setting calories at below maintenance and having an occasional “treat” day.

@enlightenme3
    Yeah, MFP also wants me to be at 1200 calories regardless of what I say, and I find that completely un-doable. Glad it is working for you.

@ashleycarole86
    I love your idea of tracking net calories and weight on a spreadsheet to get some real data – that would be the way to do it! I have been trying to learn that this month but in more of an impressionistic way – I did not bring out the spreadsheet and I have not honestly tracked every day, so that’s some missing data too.
    I also love your preplanning when to go up in calories but still below maintenance – that’s a great idea.
    I also love that you make sure to fuel your exercise. I know you do a lot of exercise so that is important.

@loopydo2017
    I am glad the calorie level you set for yourself is working for you

@Jan1936
    My calorie level is also clearly a moving target

@MadisonMolly2017
    That is so great – and I think unusual – that you are able to eat more calories a day now than before you started losing weight! Definitely walking 4.5 miles a day has something to do with that. I wish I had time/energy for that – I think I’d feel great and be able to eat so much!

• Caroline_slowandsteady
    Options
    Here are my thoughts:
    I currently - for the past 3 weeks or so - have my level set to 1650 calories a day. If I honestly track and eat that I have a nice slow loss, which I like. I decided not to count in exercise calories because I pretty consistently get 100-300 exercise calories a day which is really not much so doesn't make much of a difference - and I was feeling like it was maybe not healthy what my mind was starting to do with exercising to "earn" treats.

The problem is the "pass days" - the days I go over - I tend to gain a lot. And so the jury is still out on whether the overall trend line is going up or down - can I keep the number of days or the amount I go over under control?

Back in August ish, after learning from some people in this group, I decided to try setting my M-Th calorie total a bit lower, having a very high calorie day on F, and then moderate Sat and Sun - so as to embrace my natural weekly patterns. And that was working really well. But I started getting really hungry M-Th and starting to self-sabotage. So I thought a consistently higher number might go better - and it has - on a daily basis I feel reasonably full and fulfilled with my food. But I still like a treat day, so...

I've tried various calorie calculators and they all give different numbers, often below 1200 or stopping at 1200. I think really going with my own data is the way to go, but that means I need to track consistently enough and accurately enough to generate data.
  • Caroline_slowandsteady
    Options
    Mon March 28
    Exercise: Did all 3 of my movement goals - 15 minutes MommaStrong, 1 hour walking in the woods, 30 minutes stretching
    Tracking: Preplanned the day except for brunch with friends which I couldn't preplan - then also did a lot of untracked nibbling after the brunch, I guess because I felt like since I wasn't tracking accurately I might as well keep going... (ugh)
    Calories: For sure over
    And a 1.4 pound gain
    Discouraging
    I've been calling it my learning month but I am not sure what I have learned.
  • donna25trinity
    donna25trinity Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Pass day either 5 or 6 not sure lost count. It was my bday so ordered pizza still worked out.
    Great topic, I use mfp. I am on maintaince atm but at some stage in prob a month or 2 I'll take a deficit but only for no more than 5 weeks. Xo