What's Your Dragon?

Options
Impishme909
Impishme909 Posts: 724 Member
What are you battling? Injury? Illness? Depression?

Replies

• pdacquaro23
    pdacquaro23 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello thanks for creating the forum. Look forward to hearing about your journey and recovery. I am an athlete that was running upwards of 8 miles a day until about a week and a half ago. I have a seizure disorder and have been in a cluster. One of the seizures last week caused a stress fracture in my right leg. So I am now watching what I eat and trying to do what I can to not gain weight without making the injury worse.
  • Impishme909
    Options
    @pdacquaro23 Welcome! And, you're exactly what I'm talking about with this group. I completely understand how important it is to manage the weight when you're recovering/rebuilding. I'm not sure if you're into intermittent fasting and/or anti-inflammatory/more plant based eating, but I think I'm going to start a specific discussion on that. I'm sorry about the fracture. I'm grateful you don't have a complete or displaced fracture, and hope it heals well. Are you casted or just splinted and ordered to stay off of it?
    How long have you been running? 8 miles a day is super respectable!
  • Allaesa72
    Allaesa72 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Currently battling a sciatica nerve that is bulged. My left foot is losing mobility. Hopefully tomorrow they'll do something to help me get moving again. Two weeks off of being able to walk to work and work out has been tough. I never really realized how much I love both.
  • Impishme909
    Options
    Allaesa72 wrote: »
    Currently battling a sciatica nerve that is bulged. My left foot is losing mobility. Hopefully tomorrow they'll do something to help me get moving again. Two weeks off of being able to walk to work and work out has been tough. I never really realized how much I love both.

Isn't it funny how losing something we take for granted changes our perspective so much? I hope this nerve gets handled quickly and without long term effects. Here's to walking to work and working out again soon!
  • filmgal30
    filmgal30 Posts: 3,993 Member
    Options
    Dragons are tough (unless it’s Puff the magic dragon 🐉). My family has a history of diabetes type 2 (for most part) & kidney problems….I’m now pretty sure it’s on my mom’s side genetically. I thought I was lucky to miss it, but nope. First I had trouble with weight/fertility, which lead to s Type 2 diabetes diagnosis on top of my Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis diagnosis earlier. About 7 1/2 years ago I was told I have Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) within a year I was on dialysis for 7 years with a very restrictive & not too healthy food limitations. Finally I got a deceased donor kidney transplant on 9/11/21. I am trying to slowly lose more weight by restricting calories to 1200 a day per doctor recommendation & increase my exercise levels. About 5 years ago I broke both ankles bike riding (a plate in right/worse one), following year I broke my left foot along the 5th metatarsal (pinkie toe)… another plate!😢That has really affected my feet/balance/flexibility especially for yoga (all the up down/one foot stuff) so I’m trying to modify with chair yoga, qigong, stretching, and tai chi. I do try to do some kick boxing videos, but not the greatest at it though I like it. I want my Kidney to last as long as possible, but since being back to work full time I struggle with drinking enough water (I get busy & forget), finding enough time to exercise, and a lot of work (& some family) related stress which makes me go off the rails & comfort food eat which combined with less exercise time=weight gain which stresses me out even more. I am not a runner but I would like to get back/healthy enough for jogging for a sustained period of time, but for now its more like walk 5 min, jog for 1 min. So those are my main dragons I battle currently. Thanks for listening.
  • pdacquaro23
    pdacquaro23 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sorry it took me so long to return a comment so the fracture is not displaced it is a hairline fracture of the fibula. I had a few issues arrive in my family life so I actually haven’t taken care of my leg as best as possible in the boot. I am pretty frustrated because exercise was my outlet and without it I haven’t logged food or water for a week now. I am going to hit the rest button with this message because it was so nice to see your message today.
  • Impishme909
    Options
    filmgal30 wrote: »
    Dragons are tough (unless it’s Puff the magic dragon 🐉). My family has a history of diabetes type 2 (for most part) & kidney problems….I’m now pretty sure it’s on my mom’s side genetically. I thought I was lucky to miss it, but nope. First I had trouble with weight/fertility, which lead to s Type 2 diabetes diagnosis on top of my Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis diagnosis earlier. About 7 1/2 years ago I was told I have Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) within a year I was on dialysis for 7 years with a very restrictive & not too healthy food limitations. Finally I got a deceased donor kidney transplant on 9/11/21. I am trying to slowly lose more weight by restricting calories to 1200 a day per doctor recommendation & increase my exercise levels. About 5 years ago I broke both ankles bike riding (a plate in right/worse one), following year I broke my left foot along the 5th metatarsal (pinkie toe)… another plate!😢That has really affected my feet/balance/flexibility especially for yoga (all the up down/one foot stuff) so I’m trying to modify with chair yoga, qigong, stretching, and tai chi. I do try to do some kick boxing videos, but not the greatest at it though I like it. I want my Kidney to last as long as possible, but since being back to work full time I struggle with drinking enough water (I get busy & forget), finding enough time to exercise, and a lot of work (& some family) related stress which makes me go off the rails & comfort food eat which combined with less exercise time=weight gain which stresses me out even more. I am not a runner but I would like to get back/healthy enough for jogging for a sustained period of time, but for now its more like walk 5 min, jog for 1 min. So those are my main dragons I battle currently. Thanks for listening.

Holy smokes, woman. You got more than your share of health challenges in this life. I am very impressed at your attitude about it, though. I'm so glad you're in this group. So, I'm not sure how old you are, but I know that work stress has really been hard on me the past seven or eight years. (That's when I went into school admin.) I am barely getting to the point of truly understanding how much of my life I have traded for work and stress. With that, I'm also making some changes...though it is hard.

You already know know what you need to do, so I'm not here to pretend I have the answers, but if actually keeping water at your desk and setting a timer on your phone or something to remind you to drink a certain amount every hour would probably be a great idea to protect that kidney. Transplants are such an amazing gift, and I'm grateful you received one.

How is your week going? Based on your post date, tomorrow is the end of it.
    I'm looking forward to your update!
  • Impishme909
    Options
    @Allaesa72 How's it going with the sciatica nerve? Any progress?
  • Impishme909
    Options
    Sorry it took me so long to return a comment so the fracture is not displaced it is a hairline fracture of the fibula. I had a few issues arrive in my family life so I actually haven’t taken care of my leg as best as possible in the boot. I am pretty frustrated because exercise was my outlet and without it I haven’t logged food or water for a week now. I am going to hit the rest button with this message because it was so nice to see your message today.

No apologies needed. We are all busy people. It's kind of like those friends we have that we don't talk to for weeks/months/years, but jump right back in when we make contact.

I, too, have been slacking on the logging for about nine days now, which means I've also been dehydrated, and not meeting my nutrition goals. Any progress on taking better care of the leg? It's so easy to do way too much when you're not physically laid up. I hope things in the family improve soon, and you can refocus your energy on taking care of yourself and healing.

:)
  • filmgal30
    filmgal30 Posts: 3,993 Member
    Options
    @Impishme909 Hi! I turned 52 in January. I am an elementary school teacher-librarian. I currently serve 6 elementary buildings/libraries in my school district. I’ve been teaching 25 years, 22 in this district. In that time I’ve gone from 7 schools to 10 schools to 9 and now 6—basically same # of students served (total appx 2,900 kids for 6 schools PS/TK-5th gr), but schools have merged over time into newer, bigger buildings. I get to my schools on a 6 day rotation with some exceptions (last week I was at one school for week working with assistants on textbook inventory-has to be done that way because of scheduling). I work with 6 principals, 3 assistant principals, 10 library assistants , and 6 sets of teachers/staff. I swear this job is the main reason my blood pressure is high at times. The whole time I was out during my transplant recovery it was between 110-125, now I’m back to work & especially last 2-3 weeks it’s been between 125-145 for the top #.🙄 It doesn’t help when I finally have time to check email at end of work day & I get a “want to include you”…aka heads up we’re doing this no matter what you think or how it affects the library program (because basically what you do/think matters least to us). Sorry thats how i’m feeling today….not great for someone who is a comfort food eater. So job stress I get & I applaud any person who figures out how to switch jobs/locations or do a different job altogether and afford it. I just tell myself all the time “it’s all about the students, learning, and promoting reading” Knowing how to read and utilize the knowledge you read will set you free to create, live, love, and be a hopefully more understanding citizen of the planet. At least that’s my philosophy.

Anyway, I really appreciate the water, timer tips it is worth a try!🙂
  • Impishme909
    Options
    filmgal30 wrote: »
    @Impishme909 Hi! I turned 52 in January. I am an elementary school teacher-librarian. I currently serve 6 elementary buildings/libraries in my school district. I’ve been teaching 25 years, 22 in this district. In that time I’ve gone from 7 schools to 10 schools to 9 and now 6—basically same # of students served (total appx 2,900 kids for 6 schools PS/TK-5th gr), but schools have merged over time into newer, bigger buildings. I get to my schools on a 6 day rotation with some exceptions (last week I was at one school for week working with assistants on textbook inventory-has to be done that way because of scheduling). I work with 6 principals, 3 assistant principals, 10 library assistants , and 6 sets of teachers/staff. I swear this job is the main reason my blood pressure is high at times. The whole time I was out during my transplant recovery it was between 110-125, now I’m back to work & especially last 2-3 weeks it’s been between 125-145 for the top #.🙄 It doesn’t help when I finally have time to check email at end of work day & I get a “want to include you”…aka heads up we’re doing this no matter what you think or how it affects the library program (because basically what you do/think matters least to us). Sorry thats how i’m feeling today….not great for someone who is a comfort food eater. So job stress I get & I applaud any person who figures out how to switch jobs/locations or do a different job altogether and afford it. I just tell myself all the time “it’s all about the students, learning, and promoting reading” Knowing how to read and utilize the knowledge you read will set you free to create, live, love, and be a hopefully more understanding citizen of the planet. At least that’s my philosophy.

Anyway, I really appreciate the water, timer tips it is worth a try!🙂

Yikes! No wonder your BP is high! And, if I only had the kids to focus on I'd probably stay in education forever. No such luck. But, I'm happy they have you!

And, I'm happy you're here! I saw you in the castle, too. I'm totally looking forward to getting back on my game. I will admit I've been lazy during break, though! lol