Weight No More Team Chat - APRIL 2022

jugar
jugar Posts: 10,004 Member
edited May 2022 in Social Groups
kun0iyxfkouy.png
Here is your Team chat room for April 2022. This is where you weigh in every week, post your goals and progress, discuss any issues or topics of interest, share ideas, support your teammates, receive help when you need it, and dream big. Try to post often, and help each other succeed! Bookmark this thread to make it easy to land there any time.

We have five great teams. The group and team leaders are as follows:

Our Moderators:
Liselyn - @jugar
Megan - @Megan_smartiepants1970
Ashley - @minstrelofsarcasm
Jessica - @jessicakrall8

Our Team Captains:
Downsizers - @lindamtuck2018 and @Megan_smartiepants1970
Mission Slimpossibles - @broncobuddee and @TeresaW1020
Weight No More - @minstrelofsarcasm and @melaniedscott
WaistAways - @jugar and @ashleycarole86
Shape Shifters - @jessicakrall8 and open

Our Team Motivators:
Downsizers - @peng123 & @MeowScout
Mission Slimpossibles - @katmary71 & @trooworld
Weight No More - @rachelrjh
WaistAways - @conleywoods
Shape Shifters - @angmarie28

HOW IT ALL WORKS: The April challenge runs from April 3 - 30. F2F months always start on a Sunday and end on a Saturday, so adjust your calendars!

Every challenger weighs in on their chosen day, every week without fail! At the end of each week, the tallies are done to determine the team and individuals with the most weight lost. The best losers are announced with full fanfare every Sunday. The team competition is all in good spirits - may the most losing win!

We also celebrate those small, steady losses. If you lose, however small an amount, you are in the green! At the end of the month, we celebrate everyone who lost at least a bit every week. You are heading steadily towards your goal even if you aren't at the top of the weight loss leaderboard!

To make your weigh-in easy to find for your team Captains, please put it right at the top of a message, and use this format:
Username:
Weigh In Day:
PW (Previous Weight):
CW (Current Weight):

If you miss two weigh-ins in a row without asking for a break, you will be dropped from the team, so be sure to inform your team captain if you are traveling, sick, or just need some time off. If you take a break, you can be excused for a week or two, or are moved to the Support Team for longer. You can remain on the Support Team for as long as you need to. You still participate in the discussions, you can weigh in if you want to, but it will not count in the weekly tally.

Once you reach your goal weight, you join the Goal Zone! You continue to weigh in every week. If you have 2 weeks above your self-defined goal zone, you go back to the regular team to lose that amount before it builds up. You will have a chance to hone those maintenance skills and stick with your team!

In addition to your own team, there are weekly F2F Full Group CHALLENGES. You can do all or none - it's up to you. Participating adds a lot to your success, so we hope to see you there often! These can involve anything fitness, health, or nutrition - and they’ll get you moving, thinking, and learning about this journey. Check the Announcements section for full group challenges.

Let’s show our fellow challengers some F2F love! Introduce yourselves right away, and let the new month and year begin!!

Replies

• jugar
    The new month's F2F Habit Tracker is ready for you to fill in your habits for April - go for it!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10860958/fat2fit-habit-tracker-april-2022#latest
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,203 Member
    Happy New Month, Everybody! So happy to see all the new faces in the chat (and the old ones too, not that I'm calling anyone old, I swear)!

I am minstrelofsarcasm, also known as Minstrel, also known as Ashley, also known as "that sweaty girl in the corner"... I am one of the co-captains along with the ever-marvelous @melaniedscott. My role here is to provide some real talk, some good motivation, and a few too many jokes about stress eating for anyone's comfort levels.

The Basics:

I am 26 and currently living in Ohio. I work as a combustion engineer for an industrial manufacturing company (I set things on fire for money). I am fascinated by all facets of science, whether that be nuclear physics, nutrition, geology (I hear it rocks), chemistry, etc. Feel free to ask any of your questions when it comes to the science of things. I can't guarantee I'll know the answer, but I can definitely figure it out and provide an answer in a way that's (hopefully) understandable.

Why I am Here:

I love numbers, and when I discovered that I could get healthier (as my doctor told me I absolutely had to do) by keeping track of numbers, I signed up for MFP. My original weight was 8lbs 2oz, and while I don't think I'll ever make it quite that low ever again, my goal is to never be above my highest weight of 234 (September 2014).

Despite having joined this wonderful community, I didn't take my weight loss or my health seriously until after I graduated college in May 2017 and was told by a different doctor that my eating and (lack of) exercise habits put me on the road to diabetes. I'll admit, I was terrified. I grew up with a diabetic parent who took no actions towards improving their health to reduce their dependence on insulin and is now facing some very serious health complications. I didn't want that to happen to me - I wouldn't want to put anyone through having to worry about me in the same way I worried about them.

So I searched "gym" on Google Maps, and signed up for a free class with the first place that popped up in the results, a spin studio. Since July 1st, 2017, I have completed over 1,000 spin classes.

In other news, I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in December 2019 after an arduous journey from doctor to doctor, through several misdiagnoses (why is it that the first thing a doctor will suggest is anxiety if you're female and show emotion in the doctor's office?), 14 vials of blood drawn for blood tests, 3 weeks of being unable to consistently feel the left side of my body, 2 MRIs, 1 spinal tap, and a partridge in a pear tree. I could go into a long rant about everything, and I have, but there's no need to fill my introduction with things I've written time and time again (I'll post a link to my blog, for those of you interested in my madness).

In Summary:

Since joining MFP, I have lost over 70 lbs, regained about 15 while on a three-month business trip in France (wine and cheese is my weakness), lost 5 of them, gained 5 of them, maintained throughout 2020, yo-yo'ed for the first few months of 2021, and here I stand (sit) at 170 lbs, a good 64 net lbs lost. I don't have a goal weight anymore, since BMI was developed by a mathematician and not a doctor, and as long as I feel healthy, I can weigh whatever I want (somewhere in the 150's sounds pretty good right now, but I guess we'll see).

As for exercising, I do regular functional training HIIT classes to build up some resistance training on top of my strong cardio background. I’ve recently left the spin studio for a number of reasons, but may return at some point in the future.

If you want to know more about me, or my journey, feel free to ask questions, or you can find my blog here: LINK

Blog posts I’m especially proud of:
    • Creating a Sense of Accountability - This is my first blog post ever, and I’ve grown a lot since then, but so many of the same factors are still present in my life
    • More Work to Do - Here’s a confession of some recent unhealthy thoughts I’ve had regarding my health journey, and some of my thoughts may sound similar to ones you’ve had towards yourself
    • BMI is BS - I essentially wrote a history lesson on BMI and why you shouldn’t base your self worth on it. Most likely, your BMI is misrepresenting you.

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you even more as we work our way through the month.

• minstrelofsarcasm
    ~ Some Mathematical Insight ~

Hi folks! Happy Friday!

My gym uses an InBody scanner to track progress and provide us with a set of numbers to base our fitness on outside of standard weight measurements. This morning, I did my end-of-challenge scan (the challenge started about eight weeks ago), and I'd like to share some of my numbers just to give you an idea of how weight alone is a bad measurement of your fitness.

My start-of-challenge scan was on January 21st, 2022:

Intercellular Water: 56.2 lbs (this is the water stored IN my cells)
    Extracellular Water: 33.5 lbs (this is the water stored outside of my cells, good measure of hydration)
    Muscle Mass: 68.8 lbs (skeletal muscle mass includes bone and water stored in muscles)
    Body Fat Mass: 50.8 lbs (All fat. Good and bad. All colors. All varieties)

Overall Weight: 174.2 lbs (early in the morning, after drinking at least 16oz water, wearing clothes)
    Lean Body Weight: 123.5 lbs (Lean = Overall - Body Fat)

BMI: 27.3 kg/m3
    Body Fat: 29.1%

My end-of-challenge scan was today:

Intercellular Water: 58.2 lbs (numerical proof of water retention!)
    Extracellular Water: 35.1 lbs (#hydratebeforeyoudiedrate)
    Muscle Mass: 71.4 lbs (2.6 lb muscle gained in two months!)
    Body Fat Mass: 48.1 lbs (2.7 lb fat lost!)

Overall Weight: 176.4 lbs (early in the morning, after 16+ oz water, wearing clothes)
    Lean Body Weight: 128.3 lbs (higher than previous scan because of additional muscle and water retention)

BMI: 27.6 (higher because my WEIGHT is higher and my height has not changed)
    Body Fat: 27.2% (lower because my body lost fat and gained muscle)

There are a bunch of other numbers on my results sheet, but I figured these would be of the most interest.

Q&A:
    • Did I gain weight? Yes.
    • Did my BMI increase? Yes.
    • Is this increase from fat? No.
    • Is this a "good" increase? I think so!
    • Should BMI ever be used as a sole indication of health? Absolutely not. No. Just no.
    • Is weight a better indicator? No. There's a million factors that go into our weight at any given time.
    • Where can I find more info about BMI? I wrote something! It's write (heh) here!
    • What about water retention? Try this one!
    • Do you have any others? Ask and I'll do my best to answer!

Moral of the Story:

Too much emphasis is put on weight. I am fluctuating back and forth in my overall weight, but the rest of my numbers are moving in the right direction, and that was an incredible relief this morning, when I've spent quite a bit of this month stressing about my weight and not paying enough attention to anything else.

If you didn't want to read any of that, here's the important stuff -

My gym was hosting an 8-week challenge, which included a body scan at the beginning and end to compare a ton of statistics outside of the standard Weight and BMI values. I gained weight, but lost fat, and ended with these numbers...

BMI: 27.6 (higher because my WEIGHT is higher and my height has not changed)
    Body Fat: 27.2% (lower because my body lost fat and gained muscle)

Moral of the Story:

Too much emphasis is put on weight. I am fluctuating back and forth in my overall weight, but the rest of my numbers are moving in the right direction, and that was an incredible relief this morning, when I've spent quite a bit of this month stressing about my weight and not paying enough attention to anything else.

So, update on this. I, um, won the challenge for all women at my gym.

iwj63vqhokh2.png
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,061 Member
    April's Week 1 Group Challenge is ready to begin tomorrow, Sunday, April 3rd. Join us for the ABCs of TLC and spend some time sharing, planning and being active with the group. Hope to see you there!

Here's your link:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10860985/april-week-1-group-challenge-abcs-of-tlc#latest

Jessica
  • sherry9999
    sherry9999 Posts: 30 Member
    Sherry999
    SW 184.6
    Ending wt first challenge 181.6
    CW 181.9

Birthday celebration of son last night. My birthday this Friday. Challenges for me. Not with cake or sweets just indulgences with food choices I normally avoid. Last night several lumpia were consumed and it reflects on this morning's weight. Not making excuses or blame just being real.
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    n1bx52w74edw.png

ks0ey57ugxpg.png
    9z8i10vvdd1y.png

Leaderboardgraphic.png

Team Results
    By Percentage
    3zukgpttl8r2.png

By Pounds
    5r6zirom7i5n.png

Individual Results
    By Percentage
    657tsnwwd01f.png

By Pounds
    b8lwr6bqd01f.png
    nd6z6oyu888i.png

Team Winners
    493xukneokzq.png
    tdfx9faxy3eh.png
    2vi2cviphoey.png
    m0hq3r86y1wk.png
    nlleko39cm80.png

• minstrelofsarcasm
    n1bx52w74edw.png

77hchf3mtnbq.png
    1etbbyn6gfxm.png

Leaderboardgraphic.png

Team Results
    By Percentage
    8xselpuku7gv.png

By Pounds
    nhpemkll0bp2.png

Individual Results
    By Percentage
    53lbt7z6jixm.png

By Pounds
    lrri1ebq9cfa.png
    ediwam6w0np9.png
    qh5w44kthc9c.png

Team Winners
    7cc0tfvdp4hb.png
    sb8kmxp2pcpk.png
    8267hqvyw6xa.png
    spdgnhedj5sm.png
    a30vshsnogj3.png
  • jugar
    hello WNM! You have a new member coming your way - please welcome @browan19 :smiley:
  • rachelrjh
    rachelrjh Posts: 258 Member
    Ashley, Congratulations on winning 🏆 the F45 women’s challenge @minstrelofsarcasm

Love the kettlebell trophy.
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    edited April 2022
    sherry9999 wrote: »
    My birthday this Friday. Challenges for me. Not with cake or sweets just indulgences with food choices I normally avoid. Last night several lumpia were consumed and it reflects on this morning's weight. Not making excuses or blame just being real.

@sherry9999 - In case I miss it, happy early birthday!! Which foods tend to be the issue for you? I always get caught up on extremely salty Chinese takeout.

hititskip wrote: »
    A much awaited whoosh to start the month!

@hititskip - That's an impressive loss! What kind of a routine do you have in place to help you with your goals??

Username: CassieGetsFit2013
    Weigh In Day: Sunday
    PW (Previous Weight): 229.4
    CW (Current Weight): 227.6

@CassieGetsFit2013 - Great loss! Hope you're doing okay - was a little surprised not to see more of an update from you.

rachelrjh wrote: »
    Ashley, Congratulations on winning 🏆 the F45 women’s challenge

@rachelrjh - Thanks! I was not expecting any of this at all, so it's still sinking in as reality haha

Welcome aboard, @browan19 ! I'm Ashley, one of the co-captains here. Let us know if you have any questions or concerns - looking forward to getting to know you!

• seltzer_lover
    seltzer_lover Posts: 261 Member
    Good morning and happy monday!

user: seltzer_lover
    weigh-in days: Monday
    SW (7/23): 300
    3/28: 249.2
    4/4: 247.4

• seltzer_lover
    seltzer_lover Posts: 261 Member

So, update on this. I, um, won the challenge for all women at my gym.

iwj63vqhokh2.png

OMG CONGRATS!!!! And that trophy is amazing!!!

• MotylekOkruchy
    MotylekOkruchy Posts: 196 Member
    Happy Birthday @EDTake2! <3
  • MotylekOkruchy
    Happy Birthday @sherry9999! <3
  • MotylekOkruchy
    STEPS:
    Sunday: 12174
    Monday: 13841
    Tuesday: 16239
    Wednesday: 14341
    Thursday: 14434
    Friday: 19213
    Saturday: 22613 (hike day :) )

Weather allowing, I am staying with my daughter at the school playground after I pick her up. I walk around the playground while she is playing with kids waiting for the school bus. Because there are not enough drivers, some kids have to wait until the bus comes back after doing the 1st route. Kids are supervised by teachers and play outside or in the gym for 40 minutes. For me, it's additional 40 minutes of walking, adding to the total step count.
  • ljdanny
    ljdanny Posts: 2,059 Member
    Steps

Sun-15,324
    Mon-8,705
    Tues-5,042
    Wed-8,067
    Thurs-7,928
    Fri-9,416
    Sat-11,912
  • sherry9999
    sherry9999 Posts: 30 Member
    edited April 2022
    sherry9999 wrote: »
    My birthday this Friday. Challenges for me. Not with cake or sweets just indulgences with food choices I normally avoid. Last night several lumpia were consumed and it reflects on this morning's weight. Not making excuses or blame just being real.

@sherry9999 - In case I miss it, happy early birthday!! Which foods tend to be the issue for you? I always get caught up on extremely salty Chinese takeout.

Thank you, my birthday is Friday. My issue truly is being tired and just eating too much. I eat low carb for the most part. I do love Chinese, India, and many others.
This discussion has been closed.