Does keto cause mood swings?

Options
ettaterrell
ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
I’ve done keto before but don’t remember these mood swings. I’m on day 6 and they started around day 3. It’s not hunger related I’m not hungry Im just very moody. I’m wondering if this will pass and how long it will last and if there’s anything that will help with it. I am pretty strict keto mostly all Whole Foods.

Replies

• NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...the only mood swing I had was the happiness I felt when the pounds seemed to melt away! Maybe your period is going to start pretty soon? Are you keeping up with your electrolytes?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,955 Member
    Options
    I’ve done keto before but don’t remember these mood swings. I’m on day 6 and they started around day 3. It’s not hunger related I’m not hungry Im just very moody. I’m wondering if this will pass and how long it will last and if there’s anything that will help with it. I am pretty strict keto mostly all Whole Foods.

improved blood glucose and ketosis can fluctuate the hormones sometimes. It usually works to get them better regulated over time. So this is probably just a temporary hiccup in shifting hormones. Some people's cycles get wonky the first few months. So it stands to reason that mood changes could be involved. Our biomachinery is so very interconnected. Hang in there. It should pass soon.

• Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options

Since I've gone back to LCHF I haven't noticed any mood swings nor keto flu but I've gone back in a gradual way. I know some people who go cold turkey can experience some mild withdrawal symptoms especially if they were eating a lot of sugar before. I've cut out caffeine before and got really moody a couple days later but it soon passes.
  • lori44820
    lori44820 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I noticed my mood significantly improved with keto. Other people even noticed.
  • Opalescent_Topaz
    Opalescent_Topaz Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I started a keto diet at the recommendation of my doctor (for a specific medical condition, not for weight loss) after doing low-cal most of my life on-and-off when I gained weight over the years.

I will say that I have noticed some mood swings and what I believe might be the "keto flu" that is discussed by a lot of people.

I don't have any recommendations that could help because I haven't figured it out myself yet, but I thought you might want someone to confirm that they have, indeed, experienced what you are experiencing. I am never just starving or anything, but I do miss carbs because, really, they've always been my favorite foods. So, that might be it for me.

I am going to try out some new recipes and give myself a couple of yoga-and-walking-only days instead of working out quite as hard to see if it helps.