This June I Will...

themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,211 Member
bqvyq5fvw1ns.jpg

And just like that, Summer 2022 begins!

What healthy habit do you want to work on this month? Summer can be a great time to focus on a longer term goal. I'll be focusing on getting more sleep and I know what my initials steps will be make that happen.

Whatever your goal is, we are here to support and encourage you. Let's make it a great summer!

🌷Denise & 🌸Maddie
@themedalist & @MadisonMolly2017

New to Our Group and Habit Building?
Please read our Newcomer's Guide and our Nuts and Bolts of Habit Building. They will help make your habit stick!

Replies

• themedalist
    My plan to get more sleep has three prongs:

1. Be in bed by 10:30 each night
    2. Use a sleep mask
    3. Listen to a Sleep Story using the Calm App

Only the sleep mask is new. @jamcnewman this is the one I ordered on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FSFBSXY

The 10:30 in bed target needs work. I love the sleep stories on Calm. Who can stay awake listening to "The History of the Semicolon?"

I'm hoping a bit more focus on getting to bed by 10:30 and the sleep mask will be all that's needed.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,729 Member
    @themedalist, I could totally stay awake to hear the History of the Semicolon!

I know we’ve done the summer of sleep challenge in the past, but summer is the season I don’t sleep well, thanks to the heat.

I’d like to figure out a way to incorporate moderation into my habits. It seems like I either go flat out or I flake. I’m nursing a sore foot from overdoing, and that is curtailing my walking. But there are so many things I’d like to do this summer.

So, for June I’ll stick with my 3 strength workouts per week. I also need to work on my eating habits because I’ve been snacking and hitting the carbs pretty hard.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,963 Member
    I hit a wall April-May. I let myself get too busy, which led to too little sleep. My fatigue from Oct 2021 got worse in April-May & for the first time in 5 years, I did t hit my walking goals. I got about 55% of normal.

I began to have thoughts I haven’t had for over 6-1/4 years: “I’m too tired to walk” “there are too many other things I want to do than walk every day & track my food” “walking that much makes me tired the rest of the day” etc

So, slowly, I think I’ve clawed my way back…to a good place.

I figured out a new way to track my food that seems easier. I have listed the foods I eat frequently down a page with columns next to them. At the top of column I wrote the time of my eating that meal or snack & write the ant in the appro spot. I keep this paper where in prepare my food in kitchen.(this insures I gram all)

I’m very proud of my prepping vegetable containers each morning for the day. If I want to eat & am not hungry, I grab one! Cool, crunchy, and refreshing!

Re exercise..
    I began walking first thing in the morning & I “pushed” my walking & was not tired or sore. In fact, I slept better & felt better!

5/29 10.2K
    5/30 8.8K
    5/31 17.9K (two walks)
    I was upset by something work related & decided a walk, a long walk, would be the thing to make myself feel better & it did. Gained calm and perspective.
    6/1 9.85K but will
    I’ll be over 10K by bed

I’m No longer feeling the leg & muscle pains in my legs

I am Letting myself relax. I’ve been watching some Movies & working on some pleasant improvisational stitching.

Sleep Is improving

For me, it appears my 10K step habit is the key to My success. I will be doing that daily & complete June with at least 300,000 steps. 27.9 done so far june 1-2.

I also am proud that Have been eating high quality healthy foods, keeping protein fiber sat fat & sodium where they should be

I weighed the same this morning as I did May 1.

I’m also proud that I weighed myself daily & reflected you the data.

Thank you @themedalist for carrying this group solo as I was AWOL and now focusing on getting back on track. 💞💞💞
  • MrsDavis1517
    MrsDavis1517 Posts: 5 Member
    This June I will increase my water intake. I have started the habit of drinking a lot of sugary drinks that are not hydrating me. Being dehydrated not only gives me headaches and fatigue, but it generally just makes me feel like garbage. I have set a 20 min reminder to drink water and will replace everything but my morning coffee with either water, Powerade zero, or Propel.

The ultimate goal is to make it to 80 ounces of water/sugar-free electrolyte drink per day. My beginning goal is 40 ounces because I have to start somewhere and I will build that by 10 ounces or more each week, depending on my cravings for water which I know will increase.

I will be carrying water with me at all times in my 24 oz hydro flask. Does anyone have any tips?
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,729 Member
    Report:

June 1 cardio - walk🚶‍♀️Strength 💪yoga 🧘‍♀️ Sleep 👎 food ☹️
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,518 Member
    Made some of my habits a bit more concise and I have made a plan to work on each one for a time frame of 5/7 days they include tai chi meditation exercise and a couple of days of whole real food items that’s probably my most difficult but let’s give it a try
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    Hi everyone ... I found out about this group from some of the UAC participants a while back and joined but due to my ongoing procrastination and time constraints didn't participate. I've recently completed a cross country move which included packing/donating/binning everything myself as my partner was already here working at his new job, selling my house and now unpacking/organizing here. At the same time I traveled between new/old states a couple of times and took a wine tasting vacation with some friends. In summary this meant total chaos and loss of daily habits.

I've mostly gotten back into my routines the last couple of weeks but I still have some areas I need to improve on. My exercise has been lackadaisical in that I've barely been doing the 20 minutes that UAC requires when I should be doing a lot more. I've also fallen off the veggie wagon for the most part. Part of the problem is I'm not fully unpacked and need to complete that so I can hire new house cleaners because I don't do housework. Unfortunately, my partner can't help much as his new job was a big jump in position/responsibility so he's been working long hours as the place is a bit of a mess which he knew going in. I prefer to make sure he's able to relax during his time off since I'm retired.

This June I will DO at least:
    • 30 minutes of walking (treadmill or outside) per day
    • 5 servings of vegetables per day
    • 3 sessions of EPIC II program per week
    • 1 hour of unpacking/organizing activities per day

This will start today since I spent the last two days mulling things over. These are all things I did in the past so it's not like I'm starting from scratch. Immediate tasks include getting the TV setup in the workout area so I can watch EPIC II videos and stocking up on veggies which I'll do tomorrow at the Farmers Market.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    @LazyBlondeChef
    Welcome back!
    Your plan sounds solid :)
    We’re glad you are here.

Do you have trigger events for any of the behaviors you want to do? Ditto rewards. (I use verbal.)

For example: After I brush my teeth in the morning, I will get dressed & go on my walk.

After my walk, I’ll think of three things I saw on it & loved. “Without my walk, i never would have seen the baby bunny, never would have noticed the ladybugs, and would not have been charmed by the puffy white clouds against a perfectly blue sky!”

As I brew my coffee & make my breakfast, I will wash & cut 15 oz of vegetables & pop them in the refrigerator as I smile & say “Way to insure your veggie habit!!”

After my afternoon coffee & 30 minutes with a good book, I will unpack/organize for a timed 60 minutes. When I’m done, I’ll look at what I’ve accomplished, smile, and say “Good Job!” outloud
  • donna25trinity
    donna25trinity Posts: 2,989 Member
    *Drink tea with meals 👍
    *Pre track including weekends👎
    *Track honestly👍
    *Prep and weigh dinner and night time treat in morning. .👎
    * Take bub for a walk or shower the moment I get home.👍
    * Make bub laugh daily👍
    * Watch my fave show after work upstairs at night away from the kitchen. 👍
    * Be confident at work👍
    * Focus on tracking not on deflecting through out the month👍
    * Journal👎
    * Meditate 5 min a day👎
    * Read 1 page of book a day👎
    * Phone usage to a minimum👍
    * Go for walk at lunch👎
    * Glute exercise at night 3 times a week 👎
  • themedalist
    I hve learnt alot in May, learnt that now I'm back at work I need to eat less calories cos I'm sitting on my butt all day. Learnt that I get to a certain point in the month where I deflect and create drama with food and diet instead of just focusing on the basics of tracking everything, I deflecting last month by obsessing about sugar and using that as an excuse 4 my weight where really the prob was I wasn't tracking honestly, was grazing and eating to much calories seeing I am now not chasing a bub around everyday. Drinking a cup of tea at meals helps me slow down and not eat slower fast I used to do this and stopped so stating again!! Xox

This is beautifully insightful, @donna25trinity! It is ridiculously easy to exercise our excuses as to why we’re not making the daily choices that will lead us to the better life we want for ourselves. And I get it, and I do the same thing. But usually it’s just easier and faster just to make those small daily choices. It takes me 2 minutes to log my food intake. When I log regularly, my weight stays in my maintenance range. When I move away from logging, my weight creeps up, because there is a tiny part of me that thinks that if I don’t log it, the calories don’t count. 🙄 I’m pretty sure I can find those 2 minutes a day to track my food.
  • themedalist
    Looks like we are off to a great start in June! Today my sleep mask should arrive and I’m looking forward to trying it out.

@MrsDavis1517, Great idea to focus on increasing your water intake this month! I have a related suggestion for you. Don’t put your hydro flask within arms reach. Place it somewhere near you where it’s visible but you have to get up and walk over to it. Getting up frequently throughout the day and walking even a few steps is very beneficial to your health. It doesn’t seem like it would matter much because it’s just a few steps, but it has an outsized benefits to your body. It gets everything in your body moving again.
  • themedalist
    @LazyBlondeChef
    Welcome back!
    Your plan sounds solid :)
    We’re glad you are here.

Do you have trigger events for any of the behaviors you want to do? Ditto rewards. (I use verbal.)

For example: After I brush my teeth in the morning, I will get dressed & go on my walk.

After my walk, I’ll think of three things I saw on it & loved. “Without my walk, i never would have seen the baby bunny, never would have noticed the ladybugs, and would not have been charmed by the puffy white clouds against a perfectly blue sky!”

As I brew my coffee & make my breakfast, I will wash & cut 15 oz of vegetables & pop them in the refrigerator as I smile & say “Way to insure your veggie habit!!”

After my afternoon coffee & 30 minutes with a good book, I will unpack/organize for a timed 60 minutes. When I’m done, I’ll look at what I’ve accomplished, smile, and say “Good Job!” outloud

100% agree with @MadisonMolly2017. If you want to create a new behavior or habit, creating triggers/prompts and rewards for those new habits is the best way to do that (and backed by research). Repetition is the other key. Over time and with lots of repetition, the new behavior usually becomes routine and something you just do.
  • themedalist
    I hit a wall April-May. I let myself get too busy, which led to too little sleep. My fatigue from Oct 2021 got worse in April-May & for the first time in 5 years, I did t hit my walking goals. I got about 55% of normal.

I began to have thoughts I haven’t had for over 6-1/4 years: “I’m too tired to walk” “there are too many other things I want to do than walk every day & track my food” “walking that much makes me tired the rest of the day” etc

So, slowly, I think I’ve clawed my way back…to a good place.

I figured out a new way to track my food that seems easier. I have listed the foods I eat frequently down a page with columns next to them. At the top of column I wrote the time of my eating that meal or snack & write the ant in the appro spot. I keep this paper where in prepare my food in kitchen.(this insures I gram all)

I’m very proud of my prepping vegetable containers each morning for the day. If I want to eat & am not hungry, I grab one! Cool, crunchy, and refreshing!

Re exercise..
    I began walking first thing in the morning & I “pushed” my walking & was not tired or sore. In fact, I slept better & felt better!

5/29 10.2K
    5/30 8.8K
    5/31 17.9K (two walks)
    I was upset by something work related & decided a walk, a long walk, would be the thing to make myself feel better & it did. Gained calm and perspective.
    6/1 9.85K but will
    I’ll be over 10K by bed

I’m No longer feeling the leg & muscle pains in my legs

I am Letting myself relax. I’ve been watching some Movies & working on some pleasant improvisational stitching.

Sleep Is improving

For me, it appears my 10K step habit is the key to My success. I will be doing that daily & complete June with at least 300,000 steps. 27.9 done so far june 1-2.

I also am proud that Have been eating high quality healthy foods, keeping protein fiber sat fat & sodium where they should be

I weighed the same this morning as I did May 1.

I’m also proud that I weighed myself daily & reflected you the data.

Thank you @themedalist for carrying this group solo as I was AWOL and now focusing on getting back on track. 💞💞💞

I ❤️ this, @MadisonMolly2017. Sleep, eating well, and physical activity are essential to feeling good. When one of the 3 is out of balance, usually the other 2 components suffer. I know when I don’t sleep well, I’m far more likely to eat poorly and not get my steps in. Knowing how much you enjoy walking and how much daily walking has helped you over the years, i’m glad you heeded the red flag, “I’m too tired to walk”… and acted on it! I am super proud of you!! And I’m glad you are letting yourself relax a bit. Balance In all things is important.
  • jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 4,041 Member
    I was pleased with how May went. For the first month, I didn’t overwhelm myself with too many new habits. This month I will focus on doing my mindfulness practice every morning after my first cup of tea.

Prompt: first cup of tea is done
    Do: 4 minutes mindfulness (increase by one minute each week)
    Reward: smile and tell myself how much better I feel when I suspend the “busyness“ for just those few minutes.

I do my mindfulness every day and it is especially helpful to me when I am in the car and get stuck in traffic. Fear not — I keep my eyes open and focus on my breath and acknowledge their interruption and cause the critical thoughts to pass by. This has really been helping me. It will continue, but starting the day out with this wellness practice is something I am looking forward to doing for myself.
  • enlightenme3
    enlightenme3 Posts: 2,479 Member
    Hello everyone! I hope it is okay to join this group with some habits I've been trying to develop that are more related to keeping my home neat and clean. I find that, mentally, I am happier when there isn't clutter and things are clean. If someone were to stop by, I would like to not be embarrassed or have to do a mad scramble to pick up/clean. I'm basically following a modified Fly Lady/Secret Slob system (https://thesecretslob.com/ https://www.youtube.com/c/TheSecretSlob) that I've been very lax at for a number of years (decades...). After having success with the Ultimate Accountability Challenge group, I thought it was time to add these habits to my repertoire. A lot of the elements I've been doing well on and feel like they are ingrained habits (weighing myself, working out, walking, making the bed) but there are a number of others that are very hit or miss. Based on the recommendations of members of this group and UAC, I recently read James Clear's Atomic Habits and it makes a ton of sense.

Of course, just as I ask to join and commit to this group, I'll be off the grid Sunday and Monday backpacking.

This June I will list/post daily accomplishments (P for pass or day of the month if done):
    P-P-P-4
    Morning Routine:
    ▪ Check calendar 1-2-3-4
    ▪ Weigh myself, record 1-2-3-4
    ▪ Make bed P-2-3-4
    ▪ Empty dishwasher/put away dishes 1-P-P-4
    ▪ Drink 48 oz water/coffee/tea 1-2-3-4
    ▪ Workout or walk 1-2-P-4
    ▪ Start a load of laundry 1-P-P-P
    ▪ Swish and swipe bathroom P-P-P-4

Afternoon Routine:
    ▪ Take vitamins with lunch 1-P-3-4
    ▪ Clear/clean counters P-P-P-4
    ▪ Sweep/mop floors P-P-P-4
    ▪ Workout or walk 1-2-3-4
    ▪ Drink 24 oz water 1-2-3-4
    ▪ Prep dinner 1-2-3-4

Evening Routine:
    ▪ Clean kitchen counters/stove P-P-P-4
    ▪ Clear/declutter hot spots P-P-P-4
    ▪ Straighten up/reset family room P-P-P-4
    ▪ Go to bed at a decent hour P-P-P-P
  • CindyFabFFG
    CindyFabFFG Posts: 23 Member
    I JUST learned about this group tonight from the Ultimate Accountability Challenge group, and am SO excited to join. I have been doing a lot of what is discussed on this group on my own[i[ for years and think it is great to have a place to share the process with others! I’ve been a journal writer for decades and have many small habits as a part of that morning routine including focusing on new habits (for example, there are certain things I log in journal before beginning to write—-bank balances, my weight, etc.). I could go on and on on the topic of Habits, but for now I’ll share my June habit goals:

• Log food everyday and check in with Ultimate Accountability Challenge group (the 20 minutes of exercise daily they suggest is not too difficult, but food logging I have never continued for more than a week or so)
    • Incorporate mental body scans into my day to see if I’m holding tension, have bad posture or am shallow breathing
    • Continue practicing home order routines (ex. I’ve been trying to do a minimum of 15 minute “pick ups” around the house daily. I’ve also tried to schedule two days a week when I am home alone to do laundry and prep food (I have some extended family with me so it helps to schedule those times when I know the schedule allows for me to be home alone).
    • Continue practicing thinking of my home office as the “Command Center” for all left brain reminders for home and art business. If I know that everything I really need to remember is posted in that room, it can allow me to relax moving on in my day
    • Start a weight training plan ON MY OWN beginning next week! Big deal for me because in the past, I’ve experienced some stretches of success with a trainer, but really, really want to tackle this on my own (saves money AND can give me pride in having own self-discipline.
    • Want to create a “Menu of Exercise Options” so that I have flexibility and variety in my days and weeks (ex. Micro workouts mentioned on another thread. Also, I like idea of having categories of “Exercises I can do at Home”, “Exercises I can do Outdoors”, “Exercises Classes”, “Weights at Gym or Modified at Home”.

We’ve lived in our current house for one year, so we are also in the middle of finally organizing garage and completing furnishing in basement rec room. We are also checking off our list things we noticed need help around the house, BUT there is a limit to this frenzied nesting because it distracts me from the habits I MOST want to practice. Along with the refreshed focused on body care mentioned above? EVERYTHING I do is motivated by the desire to have best created “space” for creative work (I am an artist and am also increasing commitment to writing).

I know this post is long, BUT very excited and looking forward to sharing in all of your journeys as well!
      sdrlj46bidv0.jpeg
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Hello everyone! I hope it is okay to join this group with some habits I've been trying to develop that are more related to keeping my home neat and clean. I find that, mentally, I am happier when there isn't clutter and things are clean. If someone were to stop by, I would like to not be embarrassed or have to do a mad scramble to pick up/clean. I'm basically following a modified Fly Lady/Secret Slob system (https://thesecretslob.com/ https://www.youtube.com/c/TheSecretSlob) that I've been very lax at for a number of years (decades...). After having success with the Ultimate Accountability Challenge group, I thought it was time to add these habits to my repertoire. A lot of the elements I've been doing well on and feel like they are ingrained habits (weighing myself, working out, walking, making the bed) but there are a number of others that are very hit or miss. Based on the recommendations of members of this group and UAC, I recently read James Clear's Atomic Habits and it makes a ton of sense.

Of course, just as I ask to join and commit to this group, I'll be off the grid Sunday and Monday backpacking.

This June I will list/post daily accomplishments (P for pass or day of the month if done):
    P-P-P-4
    Morning Routine:
    ▪ Check calendar 1-2-3-4
    ▪ Weigh myself, record 1-2-3-4
    ▪ Make bed P-2-3-4
    ▪ Empty dishwasher/put away dishes 1-P-P-4
    ▪ Drink 48 oz water/coffee/tea 1-2-3-4
    ▪ Workout or walk 1-2-P-4
    ▪ Start a load of laundry 1-P-P-P
    ▪ Swish and swipe bathroom P-P-P-4

Afternoon Routine:
    ▪ Take vitamins with lunch 1-P-3-4
    ▪ Clear/clean counters P-P-P-4
    ▪ Sweep/mop floors P-P-P-4
    ▪ Workout or walk 1-2-3-4
    ▪ Drink 24 oz water 1-2-3-4
    ▪ Prep dinner 1-2-3-4

Evening Routine:
    ▪ Clean kitchen counters/stove P-P-P-4
    ▪ Clear/declutter hot spots P-P-P-4
    ▪ Straighten up/reset family room P-P-P-4
    ▪ Go to bed at a decent hour P-P-P-P

Hey @enlightenme3 !!
    Welcome to Building Healthy Habits!!
    Have a great backpacking trip!!

🌸Maddie
  • MadisonMolly2017
    I JUST learned about this group tonight from the Ultimate Accountability Challenge group, and am SO excited to join. I have been doing a lot of what is discussed on this group on my own[i[ for years and think it is great to have a place to share the process with others! I’ve been a journal writer for decades and have many small habits as a part of that morning routine including focusing on new habits (for example, there are certain things I log in journal before beginning to write—-bank balances, my weight, etc.). I could go on and on on the topic of Habits, but for now I’ll share my June habit goals:

• Log food everyday and check in with Ultimate Accountability Challenge group (the 20 minutes of exercise daily they suggest is not too difficult, but food logging I have never continued for more than a week or so)
    • Incorporate mental body scans into my day to see if I’m holding tension, have bad posture or am shallow breathing
    • Continue practicing home order routines (ex. I’ve been trying to do a minimum of 15 minute “pick ups” around the house daily. I’ve also tried to schedule two days a week when I am home alone to do laundry and prep food (I have some extended family with me so it helps to schedule those times when I know the schedule allows for me to be home alone).
    • Continue practicing thinking of my home office as the “Command Center” for all left brain reminders for home and art business. If I know that everything I really need to remember is posted in that room, it can allow me to relax moving on in my day
    • Start a weight training plan ON MY OWN beginning next week! Big deal for me because in the past, I’ve experienced some stretches of success with a trainer, but really, really want to tackle this on my own (saves money AND can give me pride in having own self-discipline.
    • Want to create a “Menu of Exercise Options” so that I have flexibility and variety in my days and weeks (ex. Micro workouts mentioned on another thread. Also, I like idea of having categories of “Exercises I can do at Home”, “Exercises I can do Outdoors”, “Exercises Classes”, “Weights at Gym or Modified at Home”.

We’ve lived in our current house for one year, so we are also in the middle of finally organizing garage and completing furnishing in basement rec room. We are also checking off our list things we noticed need help around the house, BUT there is a limit to this frenzied nesting because it distracts me from the habits I MOST want to practice. Along with the refreshed focused on body care mentioned above? EVERYTHING I do is motivated by the desire to have best created “space” for creative work (I am an artist and am also increasing commitment to writing).

I know this post is long, BUT very excited and looking forward to sharing in all of your journeys as well!
      sdrlj46bidv0.jpeg

@CindyFabFFG Welcome to the group!!
    Just one thought…creating an weight training program on your own …might well be ambitious on its own for June.
    If it’s not, ignore my comment!

As folks join this group, many take on many habits… then the next month they tend to trim down the goals & find their rhythm.

You did say you’ve had many of these for a long time, so you’ll know what is achievable!!

🌸Maddie
  • CindyFabFFG
    CindyFabFFG Posts: 23 Member
    @MadisonMolly2017 I DO tend to get overly ambitious and need to reign it in—ha. So I think the logging food daily within calorie range is definite habit worth solidifying for June!