Countdown Activity 1- Information & Blog

kaliswalker
kaliswalker Posts: 1,168 Member
edited June 2022 in Social Groups
0nh9daqvrzm1.png
Welcome 5% Challengers. Please use the countdown activities to plan and prepare yourself for a very successful 5% Challenge. Some find we are much more successful when we do these activities. It’s helps us identify goals and plans. What do you want to achieve? What is your plan? Aim high!

Create your "big picture" aka “goals” you want to achieve in the 8 weeks of the 5% Challenges. Break these down into the smaller and smaller targets that you must hit to reach your goals. When you have your plan, start working on it to achieve these goals.

A SMART goal is smart because it is:
• Specific.
• Measurable.
• Achievable (but ambitious)
• Relevant (and realistic)
• Time-bound (or timely)

If you are a blogger please mention the 2022 Summer 5% Challenge and invite your friends to join. When you read a teammates blog referring to the 5% Challenge, please hit the green up arrow (bottom left). This will help us recruit new members. Here is what I usually include in my blog, with a link to our 5% Community page.

2022 Summer 5% Challenge Invitation! It is open now and you are welcome to join.

I lost 90 pounds and it’s a battle to keep it off! But the 5% Challenges always get me going in the right direction. When I join my 5% team, I feel the support and encouragement to better manage my eating and exercise to lose weight.

Are you looking for a way to get fit, lose weight, and have fun along the way? Check out the 2022 Summer 5% Challenge! Team members will work towards losing 5% of their starting weight in 8 weeks by participating in team challenges that focus on motivation, exercise & healthy lifestyle habits. Members in maintenance are also welcome. Come JOIN us to write your own success story! Let’s have fun, make new friends and get in shape! Start date Saturday, July 9th 2021. If you blog please mention the new challenge and invite your friends!

Don't wait till you reach your goal to be proud of yourself.

Be proud of every step you take to reach that goal.

A little progress each day adds up to big results.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/143186-2022-summer-5-challenge-community

IMPORTANT NOTE - The 5% Challenge Teams are very active teams. There are expectations of you as a member. You will record your daily exercise minutes and Living the Good Life points (Weekly Challenge themes) by Friday midnight each week. Also please record your weekly weigh-in by Saturday 11:59 PM (or your preferred day earlier in the week). When you join your team, your Team Leader and teammates are there to help you and answer your questions on how to do this. Start date July 9th.

Behind the scenes our Leaders are setting up the Summer Challenge. Your team invitation will be going out soon, in time for you get to know your leaders and teammates. On the FIRST DAY (July 9th) of the Challenge, please weigh in and note your weight so you have it ready to record on your team page. If you will be away, please post before you leave. And some members choose to post their weighs ins earlier in the week, the same day as their TOPS or WW International weigh in.

Please feel free to add your comments, plans, and suggestions for your teammates here. You may wish to blog your plans too. <em>252</em>

Replies

• DNjoys
    DNjoys Posts: 7,240 Member
    @kaliswalker , even though there aren't comments here yet like there was when Countdowns were posted in Sparks, as a team leader I'd like to thank you for bringing it back, and want you to know it's making a difference. This is the first season on MFP that I'm seeing members on my team making comments before the Challenge has begun that they need to think about or are making a plan for the upcoming Challenge, and those comments are building anticipation and enthusiasm. The chat is different than usual.

I think it helped that I made an announcement on my team with a link to this thread. I'd encourage team leaders to let your members know the Countdown posts are here and encourage participation. That's the difference we can make. It only takes a few members commenting on their plans, or their need to make one, to get others interested as well.
  • DaffyGirl88
    DaffyGirl88 Posts: 4,487 Member
    edited June 2022
    @DNjoys those of us that are new and didn't participate in Spark People don't know how this challenge works yet. 😁 I "chose" a team but haven't received anything that says I've been assigned, so how would I know where to post?🤷‍♀️ The team threads specifically say not to chat there.

I signed up for this challenge blind and have been sitting back waiting for a post that says what it actually is or does. 😂 Happy to post more when I know more about what I've gotten myself into. 🙃
  • Ceriusly1
    Ceriusly1 Posts: 5,705 Member
    @DaffyGirl88 ! Welcome to the 5% Challenge! We are so happy you have found your way to us! We are excited for all who join us! We are thrilled to keep our Challenge alive on MFP and thankful the platform has welcomed us!

That being said, as Leaders and members who migrated from Spark, we are still learning how to navigate the site and implement our procedures to give everyone the best challenge experience. I appreciate your comment and the opportunity to respond. We learn by observation and asking questions. You did good!

Any information needed can be found by asking a question in the chat. Someone will answer! Most information can be found by reading the posts. (I know, that's a ton of reading). Please also feel free to send a message to anyone you see listed as a leader if you need help.

We welcome tips on how to best navigate MFP from members who have been here for a while and know more than we do.

That being said, Thanks to @DNjoys for your comment about the Pre-Challenge Assignments! I too was so happy @kaliswalker decided to post them again! Following the steps sure helps when planning a plan!

• DaffyGirl88
    DaffyGirl88 Posts: 4,487 Member
    @Ceriusly1 Good morning, and thanks for the quick response. :) Which chat should I post questions in? Is there a description anywhere of what this challenge actually is? What sort of activities we'll be doing? Anything?? LOL I've poked around and read a bunch of things but it mainly seems to be people who know each other from previously challenges talking amongst themselves.

I'm no expert - especially after the latest update - but I have been on MFP for ten years now so if you have a specific question ask away. I was on SP before that and switched for a BL challenge being held at my gym and just stayed here.
  • Ceriusly1
    Ceriusly1 Posts: 5,705 Member
    @DaffyGirl88 The chat is directly below this thread at the moment. Here is the link in case it moves.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10865504/summer-buzz-around-the-airport-lounge#latest
    There is normally a thread explaining the challenge requirements but it seems to have been forgotten this time around. I will post that shortly. Please also check the blog links thread for my link. If you scroll my blogs you will find a FAQ that is pretty detailed.
  • bookieNJ
    bookieNJ Posts: 3,517 Member
    Hi! My smart goals:
    Lose 1 lb a week
    Maintain week of vacation
    6-8 cups of water a day
    Exercise by getting heartbeat up 5 days a week
  • visual_echo
    visual_echo Posts: 123 Member
    My SMART goals for the summer challenge:
    - Lose a pound per week (I'd like to round it up to 10 over the course of the challenge, let's call that a stretch goal!)
    - Work up to 25 "regular" push ups
    - Get a full 8 hours of sleep at least 4 nights / week
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 11,997 Member
    I blogged mine. LOVE that the pre challenges are back!!! I know when I do them, I SOAR so much easier with losing the weight.

Here it is (Just click on the blue line) https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Dianedoessmiles1

What is a Pre challenge assignment? We do not "have" to do these, but when we do, we learn so much about ourselves. We come up with what really helps us, and also what doesn't. Once you are on your team you'll have a nice plan set up as to how much exercise you'd like to do (Please never overdo. We'd much rather have you healthy), what goals you have for yourself, what areas you'd like to work on (Please ask in the chat on this team , and once on your smaller team also the chat, any questions, suggestions, things that work for you, haven't worked for you etc. it's member friendly, member supported)

@Daffygirl88 , please know all of us have been confused though excited when we first come on board. We will work with you and all, help you out. It'll make pretty quick though. The large majority of us stay challenge after challenge, because it really does work. No gimmicks, just support. SO HAPPY You are here with us!!
  • EclipsedAgain
    EclipsedAgain Posts: 3,438 Member
    @Dianedoessmiles1 we are so lucky to have you! You are patient, kind, funny and informative! Thank you for all that you do!!
  • angeandlyon
    angeandlyon Posts: 356 Member
    hmmmmmmm for this , My goals for the summer is a bit off the wall to many or most but:
    A SMART goal is smart because it is:
    • Specific.
    • Measurable.
    • Achievable (but ambitious)
    • Relevant (and realistic)
    • Time-bound (or timely)

Summer goals- by Labor Day(Sept) I would be in the lower 40's higher 30's -so that would be around 10-13 pounds
    1. Continue to keep levels up so I can hopefully avoid surgery...
    2. get back to measuring everything out, and FOR SURE keep my diary at where my doctor's want me at...it will cause far less pain for me-
    3. continue with my stretches for my body...alternating neck/back, hips/lower back/legs...work, and 1-2 additional workouts in a week
    4. not to allow my "piles" get out of control again...so decluttering as much as I can in a week
    5. SLEEP- If I can only get 5 hours or more in a row of sleep, instead of an hour here, an hour there
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    @Eclipsedagain ,, we are all so fortunate to have EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU!! It's a JOY to see all of us, working towards being healthier. All of us help each other out in so many ways. TY TY TY @ALLmembersOFthe5%ChallengeFortheSUMMAH!!

Without even one of you your team would miss out. Some of us will struggle during the Summer Challenge, but PLEASE STAY because it's really a learning time for you, a transitional time (We've ALL BEEN THERE!) some of you will excel (LOL WE ALL WANT TO!) and others will do just fine!! That'll be the majority with not gaining, losing something. But, all of us are like ingredients of a cake, leave out one single ingredient and that cake will NOT come out right. Without each of you it'd not be the same.
    There are NO members who are more important than another member,, we all make up that wonderful cake (Gluten Free, Vegan friendly, Low sugar, Low sodium AND ALL ELSE) OOHHHH and CALORIE FREE to, but it's the MOST WONDERFUL one you'll ever see. IT's made of your hearts, desires, willing to try.
  • withhishelp152
    withhishelp152 Posts: 135 Member
    My 5% smart goal will be 10 pounds.
    I plan on using the old WW exchange plan and tracking it here.
    I'm committed to walking 10 miles a week.
    I'll be adding 10 minutes of ST 3x a week.
    I'm already encouraged by finding this team and joining it. Can't wait to see which team I end up on.
    Shirley
  • Patti241
    Patti241 Posts: 3,959 Member
    Hi! My smart goals:
    Lose .50 a week
    Do my strength exercises
    Drink my water
    watch my sugar intake
  • lavalily
    lavalily Posts: 2,024 Member
    My goal is to maintain my weight, but I wouldn't mind losing another couple of pounds.
    I also need to firm up what I have - summer was a lazy time for me. Too much sitting at the computer.
    I am working on my leg strength. I found a few places where I can do a few miles on my walker.

• Lessennan
    Lessennan Posts: 2,965 Member
    @kaliswalker these countdown activities were always so useful when you did them on spark. They help make it so we don’t hit the ground running on day one of the challenge. Thanks
  • itladyee
    itladyee Posts: 3,844 Member
  • itladyee
    itladyee Posts: 3,844 Member
    @Ceriusly1 Please confirm that you see my link here.. :) Thanks!
  • misslorij3440
    misslorij3440 Posts: 4,551 Member
    My goals for this summer are pretty simple:
    1. Track everything I possibly can (potlucks will mess me up, though)
    2. Stay within nutritional guidelines.
    3. Get in 80-120 mins. Exercise at least 5 days/week.
    4. Drink 6-8 glasses liquid daily.
    5. Reach summer goal of 180.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    itladyee wrote: »
    @Ceriusly1 Please confirm that you see my link here.. :) Thanks!

I'm sure Ceri will respond, but your link does work. NICE GOALS!! Reasonable ones that are doable. WTG and welcome again the 2022 Summer 5% Challenge.