Shape Shifters Team Chat - JULY 2022

Replies

• PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,322 Member
    @Pupowl and @jessicakrall8 - Thank you for posting the inspirational quotes and photos. They are definitely motivating for me!

@jessicakrall8 and @cosmiccurves - Your kind comments and enthusiasm about ways we can act on what we learned from the poll made me smile 😃!

@Pupowl - We have a butterfly garden at the park across the street from my house and love to walk among all the colorful plants there. I aspire to be as thoughtful and organized as your mother — inspiring to me as a parent! Thanks for sharing your plants, local nature, and stories!
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,260 Member
    Steps:
    7/3 7,493
    7/4 7,841
  • LaurieWrobo
    I always read your posts @Pupowl - thanks for sharing pics
    I hope everyone had a good 4th in the US
    Unfortunately, another parade shooting in a suburb in IL yesterday - we had one in suburb - Waukesha WI 1 year ago during Christmas parade, but ppl were mowed down by a vehicle
    What is wrong with people?? It just hurts my heart - ppl were still sitting at the parade b/c they thought it was fireworks 😞
    Our fireworks in several communities, mine included in Oak Creek WI were cancelled yesterday b/c bad storms were going to move through- my husband and I weren't actually going to go, but we were hoping we could see them from our home
    I don't know when they will be rescheduled- another round of storms are scheduled for later today
    My husband goes for chemo this afternoon- everyone that is scheduled for Monday will be there today + Tuesdays scheduled so I don't know how long it will take for him😑
    Anyway, have a great Tuesday- make it the best day😘
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,136 Member
    StacyAru wrote: »
    Goal: 8000 steps

6/30: 8854
    7/1: 1295
    7/2: 10,992

Took the dog for a hike yesterday. Decided to do a different hike than planned when we got to the trailhead, and yikes... it was tough!

Off to play golf. Playing 18 holes, so we'll get a cart. However... great tip about putting the tracker in your pocket. When I walk 9 holes, I try to push my cart with my right hand so my left can swing. But I don't always remember to do that, nor do it while walking up steep hills. I also get annoyed when I walk all around a store pushing a cart, and don't get any steps!

I can relate, I'm always thinking about whether my left arm is swinging or not. I even try pushing the cart with just my right arm, to get those steps! :lol:
    But I'm especially annoyed when I do water aerobics. My Garmin watch seems mighty picky about what it considers a step. During one hour of intense water aerobics, with an average heart rate over 130, I'll normally get around 3,000 steps, if I'm lucky. During one hour of walking, with an average heart rate of ~100, I'll get around 6,600 steps. And let's not even mention swimming, where I get no steps at all! 😂

• SavageMrsMoose
    SavageMrsMoose Posts: 633 Member
    @PatriceFitnessPal

My husband should be back to light activity in 6 weeks, full in 6 months to a year. Full recovery 6-12 months. He will have his other hip done at the end of the summer.

Scale is moving very slowly, but still hanging in there. I really like reading others post’s about their day to day lives and their ups and downs with t weight loss. I find just knowing others are in the same place is helpful.
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,136 Member
    Daily Step goal: 10,000
    Sun 7/3: 12,378
    Mon 7/4: 13,709
  • Yukie_OP
    Yukie_OP Posts: 264 Member
    @jessicakrall8 My steps Update (goal 6k):
    7/1 - 4,456
    7/2 - 9,363
    7/3 - 7,361
    7/4 - 8,089

Happy Tuesday... I didn't eat very well this long weekend, we grilled/BBQ'd pretty much all weekend (hot dogs, chicken, steaks) along with all the "snacks" that tend to partner (ice cream, chips, cookies). I'll need to get back on track with my eating (more veggies, more salads).

I did have an active Monday (off due to holiday) - decided to get out of the house and go roller blading at a nearby skate park (took my daughter, niece, and cousin). I find skating a lot of fun, albeit scary - The park has ramps, concrete hills, and multiple platforms. We all managed to go up & down a concrete hill that inclined about 4ft, which was a fun (scary) challenge - it doesn't sound very high, but once up there 🙀. I hope to do more of it, since everyone really enjoyed it.

Here's my little one gearing up.
    pb7hkya6mz7v.jpg
  • StacyAru
    StacyAru Posts: 13 Member
    @PatriceFitnessPal – Sounds like a busy week. But maybe a nice change of pace? Sleep is so important. Thanks for the inspiration – I may try to work on that too. I love all the ideas! Especially love the daily themes – Motivational Monday, Tracking Tuesdays, Wellness Wednesdays, [Don't be] Thirsty Thursdays, Study [those habits] Saturdays, and Steady Sundays

@LaurieWrobo – Congrats on the husband’s clear CAT scan! That’s amazing! It’s easy to fall into those bad habits, hope you’re able to escape their clutches.

MrsMoose/Melissa – I don’t know that diner in Vail, but then there are a lot of Moose-named places here! That is a funny story. Ugh, you got your period after passing the 12-month mark?? Booo. I’m at 7 months since my last period, fingers crossed I’m done with it! I do wonder what effect menopause has on my weight… it’s crept up since I stopped menstruating. I hope your husband’s hip recovery goes well. Sounds like he’s motivated to do the work, so that’s good!

Jax – Yikes! Get that heart rate checked out!

@Yukie_OP – Love the camping trip pics. We don’t have a trip planned yet this summer, and it’s disappearing fast. ☹ Such cute pics of your little skater! I loved skating as a kid, it sounds terrifying now, lol.

@Pupowl – Not sure what you mean about not getting good pics – those are amazing! What’s a pancake plant?

@frankwbrown – Your journey is so inspiring! I loved this quote: “The great danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.” It reminds me that I need to SET goals! If I don’t have any, I can’t even get as far as falling short!

I started the week well last week, then went off the rails. It was our fiscal year end at work, so very busy.
    Also, I’m trying to plan a trip to San Francisco, including some college visits for my daughter, which is coming up quickly. This is causing me to spend even more time at my desk, unfortunately. I need to make it a point to get out and walk the dog a couple of times a day.

Focus for the week: Make lists. They’re not goals exactly, but if I don’t have lists of things to do, things don’t get done. I’ll make a list each day, and include on it even the basics, such as “drink water,” as a reminder of the things I need to do to stay on track.

Steps update:
    Goal: 8000
    7/3: 9229
    7/4: 2912
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,070 Member
    @frankwbrown Thank you for sharing your journey from your heart...parts of your story very much echo mine. I enjoyed reading that so much. Loved your quotes too!

@Pupowl Your butterfly garden sounds like such an AWESOME idea...I loved the last batch of butterfly photos you shared with us. Your mom was sweet to surprise you with that book!

@Yukie_OP Your little one looks like she takes her skating SERIOUSLY! So adorable!

@LaurieWrobo Like you, my heart hurts at all the hate in the world. There were two other shootings besides the one in Ohio, but I don't remember now where they were...very sad.

@SavageMrsMoose So glad to hear your hubby is making a great and steady recovery, but sorry he faces another upcoming surgery. He's blessed to have you to help him as he recovers!

I'm really tired today y'all...I'm headed to bed. Take care!
    Jessica
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    angmarie28 wrote: »
    Happy 4th of July. So sorry for my quietness. Between work, kids activities, helping my mom, and getting ready for vacation, Im pretty sure I havent sat down in over a week. I will put my steps in hopefully tonight, but I may work late because everyone is calling off due to the holiday. I will try and be a little more active though

@angmarie28 - This is a guilt-free zone! You are taking care of so many other people, and I appreciate your extra work in the medical field during a difficult time of staff shortages and extra stress! I hope you can find solace in this space, and focus on your own health and well-being!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited July 2022
    WELLNESS WEDNESDAY

Let's practice MINDFULNESS today. It helps improve so many areas of our lives. You can select the area that you want to focus on for your Wellness Wednesday. Research has shown the many benefits of mindfulness, including:
    1. improving cognitive ability
    2. slowing brain aging
    3. reducing stress, anxiety, and depression symptoms
    4. increasing a sense of well-being
    5. helping with pain management
    6. improving quality of life for those living with chronic conditions

Here are some suggestions from a wellness site or you can add your own idea. Please let us know how your Wellness Wednesday is going!
    rln27e9288d8.png

References:
    https://www.healthline.com/health/mind-body/what-is-mindfulness
    https://www.pdhi.com/wellness-platform/challenges.html
  • LaurieWrobo
    Current Maintenance Weigh In
  • kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 650 Member
    User: kcpond

Weigh In Day: Wednesday
    PW (Previous Weight): 247.4
    CW (Current Weight):246.5

• StacyAru
    StacyAru Posts: 13 Member
    User: Stacyaru

Weigh In Day: Wednesday
    PW (Previous Weight): 248.5
    CW (Current Weight):248.0
  • Yukie_OP
    Yukie_OP Posts: 264 Member
    edited July 2022
    StacyAru wrote: »
    Focus for the week: Make lists. They’re not goals exactly, but if I don’t have lists of things to do, things don’t get done. I’ll make a list each day, and include on it even the basics, such as “drink water,” as a reminder of the things I need to do to stay on track.

@StacyAru - i can relate to your lists approach, I'm definitely a checklist type of person until the action/task becomes habitual.

@frankwbrown - thanks for sharing your amazing progress, truly inspirational

@PatriceFitnessPal - love the suggestions & links on mindfulness. Who knew reading for fun was a mindfulness practice (win!)

Mindfulness Wednesday practice
    I've actually already completed a mindfulness practice this morning while commuting to work. I just so happened to start listening to a new podcast in which the lady host takes a few minutes to guide listeners through some deep breathing and positive affirmations. It felt a bit weird initially (thought about how crazy I must look to a neighboring car, but i dismissed it) - by the end of it, i felt refreshed and more positive.
  • cosmiccurves
    cosmiccurves Posts: 356 Member
    Step Goal: 8,000/day
    6/26: 5,234
    6/27: 5,447
    6/28: 7,530
    6/29: 8,655 (FINALLY!!!!)
    6/30: 8,437
    7/1: 7,542
    7/2: 8,102
    7/3: 6,878
    7/4: 3,454
    7/5: 4,388

Man, these storms and heat are making it very difficult to get in my steps. I am wondering what my workaround could be. I could march around my home like a madwoman, maybe :lol: I have been doing little workouts such as a 10-minute HIIT on YouTube here, a 15-20 minute yoga video there, etc. I'd love to hear any suggestions from you guys on how to fit more steps in when your area is under a constant heat advisory (over 105+F heat index) or super stormy, so you are not able to do your usual walks. I looked into indoor tracks, but there are not any near us without getting a gym membership, and ever since COVID and because we have three young children, we plan to say away from the gyms indefinitely and continue to build up our home gym a little at a time.

For Wellness Wednesday per @PatriceFitnessPal I am going to start reading my Marie Kondo book, The Joy of Tidying, to give me that extra boost to declutter as I am unpacking our new home. I did pretty well decluttering before our move, but ran out of time, and we ended up bringing some of that with us. Now is the perfect time to do this!

I hope everyone is having a wonderful Wednesday!

YRpPbcw.png
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,070 Member
    Nice losses @LaurieWrobo @kcpond and @StacyAru !! Great job!

@PatriceFitnessPal Such a great list of suggestions for Wellness Wednesday! I've recently gotten back to lying down in the evenings, turning off the tv and reading and it's so relaxing. I'll be honest in that half the time, I end up falling asleep because I'm so tired...as soon as I start to wind down, I'm just out. Other times, I get caught up in my story and just enjoy reading so much! Either way, it's great relaxation. Also, with the preparation for this kitchen remodel, I'm cleaning out, tossing clutter, donating to charity and paring down. It feels great to enjoy the sense of accomplishment and there's just something wonderful when you start with a cluttered mess and end up with a clean counter top...I can't explain it!

@StacyAru I too am a list person...it keeps me organized, helps me not to forget important things and keeps me on task. Always have been...guess it fits my analytical personality. That with just a sprinkle of OCD I think! :blush:

Jessica
  • LaurieWrobo
    @cosmiccurves - there are Leslie Sansone YouTube walking workouts for 1, 2, 3, etc miles that are meant for indoor walking; I personally do Bodyfit by Amy cardio workouts on YouTube and still get steps in - I also do her weight workouts she's awesome and certified trainer!!

@jessicakrall8 - thanks - I'm really being mindful of what I'm eating 😘

Wellness Wednesday - I ran my diffuser with Balance essential oil from doTerra while working - been a stressful day today & ended with core workout at my barre studio after dinner
This discussion has been closed.