Single Mom over 50 looking for supportive friends!!

Options
Hi, I'm Laura. I will be 53 in April and I'm currently living in Texas. I am a single mom to a beautiful disabled just turned 13 year old girl. During the height of the Covid pandemic, I reached my highest weight ever of 193 lbs. I vowed to get healthy again because there is literally no one to take care of my daughter if something happens to me. I joined weight watchers and lost 30 lbs. but they changed the program and it just wasn't working for me anymore. My daughter has had some serious health setbacks the past six months which meant a lot of time in the hospital and I put back on about 7 of the pounds I lost. I have been trying to drop them for weeks and I have just plateaued. I decided to ditch WW and start fresh here. I find having the actual nutrition information available actually helps me make better choices and I've already lost a pound. I hope this group is active because I would really love to chat with some of you and be able to give and get some support as I work to drop the 30 lbs. I have left to reach my goal! If you've read this far....Thanks, I look forward to getting to know some of you more!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    @laurap100805, this group is not very active. I'd encourage you to consider joining one of the challenges in that part of the Community, or one of the active threads in Motivation and Support, or one of the groups described in the latter.

Personally, I don't think our age is all that important a characteristic, when it comes to weight management. I think you'll find that you have a lot in common with folks like younger single parents, and just general folks trying to lose weight.

There's a lot of marketing-oriented noise lately about menopausal or peri-menopausal or aging women being special when it comes to weight loss or fitness, but I don't think there's much substance to that . . . speaking as a 66-year-old woman who lost from class 1 obese to a healthy weight at age 59-60 (a change of 50+ pounds), and who's been at a healthy weight since then. Weight management isn't easy every second for anyone, and I've found that the challenges cross age boundaries. We can all help each other along.

I'm sorry I'm just now getting around to replying to your post. I kind of forget to check this group, because there's so little activity in it.

Wishing you success!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,269 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I forget to come check here too. Sorry about that!

@laurap100805 - I hope you've found some connections if you think that will help. It sounds like you will be building and developing good habits. It sounds like you have plenty of stress in your life, and I hope you can find a way to ease it.
  • Paul0627
    Paul0627 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there I totally understand regarding the weight watchers, I lost 120 lbs back in the 90s when you did the point system I mean everything counted not like now I tried again and they have free points ,whole grain pasta free?? Don’t think so, I am 58 and need to loose 40lbs I vowed never to go back the way I was, take a pic of yourself and put it on the fridge as a reminder of what your going to do. Believe me now that I’m older it’s harder to loose but mark my word I will and you will as well. You got this
  • Decoy152
    Decoy152 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I decided to ditch WW and start fresh here. I find having the actual nutrition information available actually helps me make better choices

That's the key right there!! Once you learn the fundamentals for yourself, it's just a matter of time 👍

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,269 Member
    Options
    @laurap100805

How are things going?