Shape Shifters Team Chat - JULY 2022

Replies

• PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,306 Member
    Welcome to all the new members! I hope everyone is feeling healthy despite all the COVID cases. It’s a good thing you followed up @izzyred9400. I’m glad you’re feeling calmer and can learn more once you start using the monitor. I hope it was just a temporary situation due to the heat. Take care, everyone!
  • JenHul
    JenHul Posts: 355 Member
    Good Morning Shape Shifters!
    July 25 steps = 7618
    July 26 steps = 7544

I have been really tired lately :neutral: I try to go to bed at a decent time, but I toss and turn most of the night. I have restless legs sometimes and take extra Potassium,Zinc & magnesium to help. Because I'm tired, when I get home from work I don't want to go for a walk in the heat..... so I sit on my butt and snack unhealthy foods!
    I'm not hungry, I don't know why I feel the need to snack when I'm tired, it's weird :neutral:
    Anyways, hoping today is a better day!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,511 Member
    Hi SS.. You have another new member joining your team ...Please welcome @Valentina_99v :)
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited July 2022
    Wellness Wednesday

Today, I planned to post some information about sleep for "Wellness Wednesday," and @JenHul's comment reminded me how susceptible I am to binging at night when I'm tired. I used to think an evening snack would give me the energy I needed to stay up later to accomplish some tasks. I just wasn't productive at that point; so, now I try to go to sleep earlier and start fresh the next day.

Whenever I sacrifice sleep, my weight gradually increases. I think I got used to the incremental gains over the years and didn't realize how much I had gained until the pandemic allowed me to focus on my health. A number of activities and commitments slowed down and I was able to get off the treadmill.

It's hard to know if an evening walk or exercise might recharge us. Sometimes that works for me, but it could just make the situation worse. Maybe we can crowdsource a helpful response. What works for other ShapeShifters? Has anyone tried going to bed earlier, or gathered the strength to push through an evening workout, with success?

I'm not sure what will work best for others because individual results vary, but I thought this article was interesting. It explains how making adjustments to sleep better can help:
    • Improve your ability to tune into physical hunger and recognize fullness cues
    • Reduce the surges of cortisol that go along with sleep deprivation
    • Help you experience fewer cravings that seem out of control

The article also includes tips to improve our sleep hygiene by establishing a nighttime routine that encourages restful sleep:
    • Aim to be in bed at the same time every night.
    • Only use your bed for sleeping, to cue your mind that it’s time to sleep when you lie down.
    • Avoid alcohol and caffeine a few hours before bedtime.
    • Power off phones and computers an hour before shut-eye because the blue light interferes with the hormone that regulates the sleep-wake cycle.
    • Try a soothing activity, such as a bath or meditation.
    • Make sure your bedroom is cool, dark, and quiet.

I hope you enjoy your Wednesday. Be well, ShapeShifters!
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,007 Member
    edited July 2022
    6qzjt7wsz26u.jpg
    Hi SS.. You have another new member joining your team ...Please welcome @Valentina_99v :)

Welcome to the team @Valentina_99v and @msashleybing ! Glad you found us...hope we'll become quite a source of strength and encouragement for you during your journey!! Please go back and read our FAQ on pg 1 of this July chat thread or watch for it to appear on pg 1 of the August chat thread. It will answer a lot of your questions and if there's anything else you have questions about, just post them and one of us will try to find the info for you.

Take a minute and introduce yourself and tell us a little bit about what you hope to achieve with us! If you're a walking/running fanatic, sign up for our step challenge each month. If you like challenges, join us each week for the Group Challenge, starting on Sundays each week and the link for this challenge will be posted here in the chatroom. If you have areas where you feel you need more work or have an idea for a weekly challenge, please post here...we're always open to suggestions!

Remember that you'll get out of this support group exactly what you put in, so open up, share a little, ask questions, post when you have a great day AND when you have a really sucky one...it's all about sharing the struggle because something you post might be JUST what others need to hear as well!

On behalf of the whole team, again, WELCOME! Good luck in August!
    Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    kcpond wrote: »
    User: kcpond

Weigh In Day: Wednesday
    PW (Previous Weight): 247.2
    CW (Current Weight):246.1

Attribute this loss to riding bike for 82km on Saturday for the MS Ride!

@kcpond Great loss and what a tremendous charity ride!! Great job! I bet you felt like a million bucks afterward!
    Jessica
  • Motiv8tedMom
    Motiv8tedMom Posts: 89 Member
    Just wanted to pop in and say I'm excited to see people posting steps. I am aiming for 8000 a day so I hope seeing that and checking in will get me moving to hit that goal every day.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Hi SS.. Another new member joining your amazing team ...Please welcome @msashleybing :)
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,777 Member
    Angmarie28
    Wednesdays
    Previous weight-166.4
    Current weight-167.8

Eeek, vacation was not nice 😂
  • angmarie28
    Got back home yesterday. What a stressful trip. Spent 10 days with my husbands family, ive had enough in laws for awhile. Oh and we manged to catch Covid there, I assume on the train ride there, so it went throigh all of us, i got it the worst but it wasnt horrible, but the deep cough sicked. Took alot of ibuprofen ha.
  • angmarie28
    7/21-13,834
    7/22-9,867
    7/23-9,474
    7/24-3,797 fitbit died and couldnt find charger
    7/25-4,537 waited 5 hours in a train station
    7/26-2,988 traveled the entire day
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Welcome @Valentina_99v and @msashleybing!

We’ll introduce ourselves in more detail once the August ShapeShifters Chat opens and it’s always great to add new energy to the team! I’ll look forward to hearing about your goals and getting to know you better.

@angmarie28 - I’m sorry to hear that your trip didn’t go as well as expected and the whole family had COVID. I hope your children had a chance to visit with their grandparents and other family members despite the virus infection. And, it sounds as though you deserve a little getaway for yourself after committing to a 10-day visit with your husband’s family. I remember you were doing a lot of the trip preparation, too. Is there a way you can treat yourself to a special experience to rejuvenate?

Congratulations on your bikeride @kcpond —what an accomplishment! And thank you for your work in support of MS research and treatment.

@Motiv8tedMom - You are in the right place for motivation to support your step goals! @jessicakrall8 is an amazing team leader AND also keeps track of our friendly step competition in addition to all the weigh in reports!! 👏👏👏 We are so fortunate.

I’m glad you’re feeling better @jessicakrall8 and I appreciate the feedback on the various themes.
    Today is “Thirst-quenching Thursday” so let’s focus on getting hydrated so we can enjoy all the health benefits. Go get those goals, ShapeShifters!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited July 2022
    Here’s my weekly maintenance weigh in report.

Name: PatriceFitnessPal
    Weigh-in day: Thursday
    PW: 126.8
    CW: 128.8

SW: 168
    LTD: 39.2

My maintenance target range is 120-130.

I’m glad my weigh-in is not calculated with our team report. I think that’s my highest weekly gain since I joined the team. I’m not sure about the cause but I drank a little more alcohol than usual this week and I know my body doesn’t respond well to that. I’ll weigh my food more rigorously instead of guesstimating based on existing MFP nutrition entries. I’m also at the high end of my maintenance weight range so I’ll have to make a change right away. Best wishes ShapeShifters!
  • jessicakrall8
    Just wanted to pop in and say I'm excited to see people posting steps. I am aiming for 8000 a day so I hope seeing that and checking in will get me moving to hit that goal every day.

Would you like to be added to the August Step challenge, then @Motiv8tedMom ? I just need your first name for the chart, got your daily goal...and I usually ask where's your favorite place to walk?
    Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    Hi SS.. Another new member joining your amazing team ...Please welcome @msashleybing :)

Welcome @msashleybing ! Make sure to read the welcome message above and our FAQ from pg one of this July chat thread. If you have questions, let me know.

WELCOME TO THE INSANITY!! :smile:
    Jessica
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Hi SS... Another new member joining your team ...Please welcome @Tiguan26 :)
  • jessicakrall8
    Hi SS... Another new member joining your team ...Please welcome @Tiguan26 :)

9fu1848os1i8.jpg

Welcome @Tiguan26!! Glad you found our team! Please take a minute and introduce yourself...go back to page one of this July thread and read the FAQ. If you have any questions not addressed there...post them. On behalf of all of us, we're really glad you're here!

Jessica, your Captain! :smiley:
This discussion has been closed.