The effect of Motrin on "weight"

Options
steve0mania
steve0mania Posts: 2,940 Member
I was looking at my weight over the past three months, and saw a pretty cool demonstration of the effect of Motrin on my "weight." I'm putting weight in quotes because it seems that the Motrin caused an acute, but transient, increase that is most likely just some fluid retention.

Does anyone else have interesting/cool effects on their weight graphs that they can correlate to meds, or other causes?

721plfrje76h.jpg

Replies

• Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,907 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Is the same data congruent with Advil, ans all other NCIDS? I cannot take them anymore, bit used to
    live on a generic Advil.
  • steve0mania
    Options
    Motrin and Advil are the same drug (ibuprofen). I'm not sure if these data hold true for other NSAIDs. Steroids will do the same thing to one's weight in the short term. In the long term steroids will cause fat deposition.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it was the Motrin that caused the weight gain versus the underlying condition that caused you to take the Motrin? You mentioned having a gout flare-up.

Yes, I realize I'm asking this question of a doctor. 😁

But back to your question. I don't weigh daily, but if I did, I feel confident there would be a correlation between weight gain and times of eating foods that I'm allergic/sensitive to. (Assuming calories were held constant.) None of my food allergies are life-threatening (so far), and I occasionally eat more of them than I should. Hand swelling and hives always result. And my face gets puffy. (Puffier.)
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,790 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I’m only being mildly facetious, but the clearest correlation to my daily weight chart is the fact of getting on an airplane. There’s something about that jetway that puts five or ten pounds on me every time . . .

Put differently (and more honestly), it’s behavioral for me.

I’ve been taking high-dose ibuprofen for most of the time I lost weight and while I maintained. I’m guessing I’m not part of the population that sees weight gain or water retention as a by-product. Either that, or I’ve been living in a constant and consistent level of water retention for the past fourteen years. 🤷‍♂️

Steve - what was your level of activity during the time you were taking Motrin? Was it less than your normal amount? (The researcher in me always probes for yet another hypothesis.)
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,907 Member
    Options
    Steve, What about Tramadol? Haven't noticed it in any literature.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    CREWAHL wrote:
    "I’m only being mildly facetious, but the clearest correlation to my daily weight chart is the fact of getting on an airplane. There’s something about that jetway that puts five or ten pounds on me every time."

Put me on a plane for a long vacation, and I generally will eat fewer calories and get in a lot more steps/activity on said vacation. But when I land back home, my weight will be up . . . from flying. Every single time. Sometimes by more than three pounds. But usually after 4-5 days, I see the loss I earned.

So there's another potential blip for my graph if I was a daily weigher.

Charlie, maybe KC weight gain wasn't just about the food? Did you fly?

Yes, I realize I'm asking this question of an analytical person. 😁

• crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,790 Member
    Options
    whathapnd wrote: »
    Charlie, maybe KC weight gain wasn't just about the food? Did you fly?

Yes, I realize I'm asking this question of an analytical person. 😁

I did fly - but I’m pretty solidly in the camp that thinks the problem always starts at the handle rather than the tines. I believe it from an empirical basis. I also think there’s a risk to the natural tendency to find an explanation other than our choices for any gain we see.

So I’ll put my hand up and say “it was me that ate the ribs” and I’ll deal with the consequences. The consequences may not always be on par with what we think happened, but that is one of the burdens we each bear.
  • steve0mania
    Options
    To address the questions directed at me:

I did indeed have gout during that time, but it was gout in a single toe (not even my big toe), and gout is not generally a systemic inflammatory disease. Thus, the likelihood that systemic inflammation is the cause of my weight-gain is pretty small.

I also completely cut-out my usual exercise (running) during that time, but there have been many times I've taken a week or two off from running, and didn't see major quick-changes in my weight.

The fact that my weight went up so quickly, stayed up while I was continuing the Motrin even though the gout had mostly resolved (I was trying to "quash" any last bits of inflammation in my toe), and then dropped 4 pounds within two days of stopping the meds seems like a pretty strong correlation. Of course, correlation does not equal causation, but the data in this case is pretty tight (plus, there is published scientific literature to support a causative relationship).

Tramadol is a different class of medication than ibuprofen. The latter is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug, while tramadol is an opioid. I am unaware of opioids causing fluid retention, but to be fair, I haven't looked deeply into this.
  • steve0mania
    Options
    I actually get some edema in my legs when I take long-flights (probably 6+ hours) and that is often associated with weight gain from the fluid retention. It's a "dependent-edema," which means that it's from having your legs lower than your heart, with no significant movement of the legs for a prolonged period of time. That lets fluid seep out of the blood vessels and collect in the tissues. This doesn't happen typically when we are active, because use of the leg muscles tends to increase pressure in our lower legs and decrease the amount of fluid leak, plus it tends to "pump" the leaky fluids into the lymphatic system and allow them back into the circulation.

I wear compression sleeves or compression socks when I fly long-distances to try to decrease this process. Lower-leg compression also helps to prevent blood clots.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,845 Member
    Options
    Having already had 2 DVT's I am very cautious to wear compression socks when I know I will be stationary for long travel, like 2 hours or more, no matter if its driving or flying. I use gold toe compression socks available on line if anyone is interested.