ketosis without keto sticks (newbie)

Options
2»

Replies

• stacybw1
    stacybw1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I’ve been eating keto for the last 3 weeks, counting my macros, staying in the percentages for fat/carbs but maybe too high on protein? I have hashimoto and I can’t lose anything.. I’m so frustrated with my body. My husband eats OMAD and is losing tons. I feel like that’s not realistic eating and starvation. I do fast for 14 to 16 hours most days. What am I doing wrong I’m so frustrated please help!
  • stacybw1
    stacybw1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I’ve been eating keto for the last 3 weeks, counting my macros, staying in the percentages for fat/carbs but maybe too high on protein? I have hashimoto and I can’t lose anything.. I’m so frustrated with my body. My husband eats OMAD and is losing tons. I feel like that’s not realistic eating and starvation. I do fast for 14 to 16 hours most days. What am I doing wrong I’m so frustrated please help!
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Hi there! Old to MFP, but new to low carb ….. enjoying feeling less hungry, but still watching the calories….is early days here, but learning & doing okay on low carb -some days, with mistakes and not as low as I’d like🥴…. Found some good recipes for low carb bread for bread machine and making loaded keto fries tonight !
    My weigh in was a big 234 lbs and in 2 weeks have lossed 5lbs … so doing alright!
    Really pleased to have found this group, already picked up a lot from the threads …. So Hi & looking forward to virtually meeting many of you 🤗
  • offitgoes
    offitgoes Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    @stacybw1 you should check out Dr Boz on you tube. My DH and I have learned a lot from her channel. She has written a couple books. Keto Continuum by Annette Bosworth, MD is one I am currently reading. Her first book is Anyway you can. It tells the story about her mother having cancer and changing her diet to low carb. Have not read it yet but downloaded on my phone.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    stacybw1 wrote: »

It's best to not use percentages. The higher the intake the higher the carbs it will give you. Most people will get into ketosis and stay if you faithfully get and stay under 50g total carbs. Some people like to target 20g though, because if there are some hidden carbs in processed foods you won't be tripped up as easily. Target 20-50g total carbs and protein and fat will take care of themselves. Also, find a calorie calc and input your height and weight if you aren't using MFPs goal feature to give you your calorie deficit. Sometimes too much fuel is just too much. These calcs will give you a good guide though they aren't 100% accurate to you personally. But if you eat in a calorie deficit and you don't lose weight for 4-6 weeks, then you are still eating too much to lose weight.

HTH
  • Hotelsma
    Hotelsma Posts: 404 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I agreed with @baconslave. Try stick to 30 grams of carbs. What works for me is adding exercise. With both I can get into ketosis in 2 days. I don’t believe In starving yourself. My go to when feeling hungry is protein shake and protein bar. Combined carbs off about 20g once you minus the fibre
  • Izzybella22
    Izzybella22 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I started Keto about 2 weeks ago and was doing good. Then I had a family gathering and slip on my carbs. I am so mad at myself because I don't feel the same as when I was Strickley in ketosis (Not an excuse) just the truth. I am working to get myself back in ketosis and added exercise and walking most days. I have an appointment on Nov.22 with my doctor and I am hoping for my weight and A1C is down. I have high hopes by Christmas that I will be down 20 pounds. That would be so awesome. I am looking forward to getting to know others in this group. I am here to give support and help in any way I can.