This October I Will...(Walk!)

themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,211 Member
edited October 2022 in Social Groups
9ynfdycj3bn9.jpg

As we begin a new month, Maddie and I hope you’ll think of October as we do: as Walktober! This month is ripe for starting, rekindling, or deepening a daily walking habit. Walking is a wonderful way to get some exercise, clear your head, reduce your stress, connect with people you love, and see things from a new perspective. I’ve been walking for exercise for 30 years now. I’ve seen the life transforming power of daily walking and I want that for everyone!

Even if you have another goal in mind for this month, we hope you’ll make room for some walking. Even if it’s just a five minute walk around your block to clear your head, you’ll return feeling less stressed and more energized. And if you can make it a longer walk, all the better!

If you aren’t convinced daily walking will do much for you, why not test it out this month? Choose a daily morning habit you have. Something you do every day. Maybe it’s a few cups of morning coffee? Use that existing habit as a reminder to go for a walk. Jot down when you’ve walked and make a point to walk every day. See if 31 days of short daily walks doesn’t make a big impact on your life! I’m confident you will see some amazing changes in your health, your body, and your outlook and perspective if you let walking work it’s magic on you!

Let’s make it a great Walktober!

🌷Denise & 🌸Maddie
@themedalist & @MadisonMolly2017

New to Habit Building?

Be sure and read our Nuts and Bolts of Habit Building.

It will help you make your habit stick!

Replies

• themedalist
    To those of you who share our love of walking, please let us know your favorite ways to walk (indoors or outdoors? Solo or with another person?) and how walking has helped you. Thanks!
  • themedalist
    c6m6yory14ki.jpg
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    I am setting up a Walk To Mordor (a la Frodo and Sam in Lord Of The Rings [LOTR]) cumulative-distance challenge. All the info (including tracking spreadsheet and lists of event-by-event mini-goals taken from the LOTR books) are available from the NerdFitness site. (eg. First campsite out of BagEnd is 18 miles - ?? miles from there to Farmer Maggot's field / meet Pippin and Merry - ?? miles from there to First Encounter with a Black Rider etc etc etc) As the GRAND TOTAL There-and-Back-Again is ~1700 miles, I figure it will take all of 2023 (or more) to finish. BUT always a mini-milestone just ahead, so Oct might be "Make It to Rivendale" (have yet to confirm mileage required at time of posting).
  • BMcC9
    Starting on Sept 28, I have gone 14.5 miles "Reached Stock Road" ... another 3.5 miles to "Day 1 campsite" (haven't finished my steps for today, so I MIGHT get there today, but definitely pass there tomorrow.)
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,513 Member
    edited October 2022
    I have a walking buddy at work when I go to the office we usually walk at least 45 minutes and cover a little over 2.2 miles. Sometimes I walk alone and it is good to clear your head. Maybe I will make my own walking challenge this month where would I go in my are? Maybe I could walk to the camp ground we went to this summer I will think on that one and let you know that would be a 16 mile walk I will try that as I don’t walk for exercise every day. Thanks @BMcC9.
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,513 Member
    1 mile down on my way to the campground would have walked more but already frozen from the 37 degree motorcycle ride to my daughters this morning to store my bike for winter 🥶.
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    edited October 2022
    Walking is already my primary form of exercise ... mostly on the treadmill but outside when the weather is to my liking or when prodded by my partner who is more flexible about the weather. We have cooled off so there should be more outdoor walking this month. In theory I like to hike but rarely do it. Unfortunately, I have to be cognizant of the sun as I'm rather fair skinned and have already had one bout of skin cancer. I'd like to avoid another.

For October I will drink more water. In the cooler months I never feel thirsty and tend to not drink enough water so I would like to work on creating a habit of doing so. I already drink about 24oz per day of selzer/sparking water which means I need to drink about 56oz of additional water.

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,721 Member
    edited October 2022
    For October I’ll continue my FALL IN LOVE WITH FITNESS goal of 30 minutes each for cardio, yoga/flex, and strength. And I’ll add on a daily dose of gelatin tea (I’m hoping it will help improve my aging skin)
    However since it’s WALKTOBER I’ll track my miles as well

My favorite walks are usually with a friend, especially my sister. Since she moved away, I chat on the phone with her while walking 2 days per week. However, she has moved to a very outdoorsy place, so hiking is now something we do. Our first hike whenever I visit is up Thumb Butte since she lives in its shadow. I have a couple long term goal walks: the Prescott Circle Trail around my sister’s town it’s 50 miles, (we’ve hiked a couple short legs already) and the California Mission Trail which connects all 21 of the historic California Missions from San Diego to Sonoma. The mission trail was inspired by my years teaching fourth graders California history.
    Oct 1 - 🏃‍♀️ 66, 🧘‍♀️15 🫖 3.1 miles
    Oct 2 - 🏃‍♀️43 🫖 3.75 mile
  • jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 4,028 Member
    @bradkcrew
    Our numbers are higher than they were pre-Omicron — and rising.

Covid infections rise by 14% in UK and now top a million https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63088223
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,023 Member
    edited October 2022
    OCTOBER 🐬🐳
    🐬🐳🐬🐙🐬🐳🐬
    [/center]

Daily Solid Habits:
    👌🏻👌🏻 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30 31
    1. My intention for October (This October I will...")
    For October, I am endeavouring to reduce my tendency to fall through the bunny hole of mindless scrolling on the internet. I have been working on this for the last week.
    (Using ‘am’ as opposed to ‘I will … ‘ as it gives me less scope to cop out.
    2. The small actions I am taking to accomplish this goal
    a) Change my screen saver to a reminder.
    b) Be conscious of what I went on line to do
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit.
    Reminder on phone.
    4. How often am I doing my new October habit (daily is best if possible)
    Daily 🐝 or 🐰
    🐝🐝🐝 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30 31
    5. What reward am I immediately giving myself for doing my habit?
    I am doing a victory 💃🏼 and 🐝
    6. What help do you need from us?
    Click “Like” or any of the feedback responses so I know you are reading? Having this place to report in every few days and knowing someone else is reading is really helpful.
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of October?
    My internet time reduced
    I have moved my September paper declutter habit to my Solid Habits list
    Nothing feels
    as good as
    Fit and Healthy
    In MIND and BODY!!!
  • TerriRichardson112
    jamcnewman wrote: »
    @bradkcrew
    Our numbers are higher than they were pre-Omicron — and rising.

Covid infections rise by 14% in UK and now top a million https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63088223
    It’s the same in UK, Julie.
  • TerriRichardson112
    edited October 2022
    🌾🍁🥀🍂🌾🍁🥀🍂🌾
    🚶‍♀️🚶🏻 WALKTOBER 🚶🏻🚶‍♀️
    🌾🍁🥀🍂🌾🍁🥀🍂🌾

You’re preaching to the converted. 😂 Walking is one of my solid habits. I walk indoors and out (depending on weather). I use walking videos, and get additional strength exercises in many of them. And I walk during ad breaks when watching TV. It all adds up!

I have daily steps, and active hours goals set on my Fitbit, with alarms set 15 minutes before the hour every 2 hours so that I can have at least a 10 minute walk.

Where there’s a will, there’s a way!
  • BMcC9
    October 2
    28-Day Total Body Challenge (started Sept 29)
    ✅-✅-✅-✅-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25-26-27-28

Progress on Walking to Mordor (very long-term)
    Miles to date: 23.85 (3 miles till first encounter with Black Rider; 111.15 miles to Bree and meet Strider)
  • BMcC9
    October 3
    28-Day Total Body Challenge (started Sept 29)
    ✅-✅-✅-✅-✅-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25-26-27-28

Progress on Walking to Mordor (very long-term)
    Miles to date: 28.53 (the road is going up and down; 106.47 miles to Bree and meet Strider)