spotting during menopause?

Options
I haven't had a period for one year but twice I had some light spotting for a day or two. Does anyone know if this is normal? Darlene

Replies

• ninkdole
    ninkdole Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I do close to the same thing. I'll go 8 or 9 months with absolutely nothing, then outta the blue ill spot for a day or two and then nothing again for months and months.
  • Darlene4prayers
    Darlene4prayers Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Glad that I had some supplies in the bathroom cabinet just in case someone needed them. I didn't think it would be me:grumble: :grumble:
  • metisgirl
    metisgirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I wish i was in the spotting mode....I am in the hemorrhaging for 10 to 20 days phase, then off two weeks then ill for another long 10 or 20 days......Any suggestions....I have been to the gyno. and he recommended an IUD to stop some of the bleeding until full meno hits. I read up on it, I am really not impressed by the risks....He then mentioned Depo>>>>some kind of injection once a month that can put your body into meno mode/pregnancy mode....I really need advice....I am severally anemic and have diabetes and extreme allergies and no one will do surgery.....Could use some helpful hints....Thx.
  • Darlene4prayers
    Darlene4prayers Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi, I know how you feel because back in 1997, I had severe bleeding and would have to stay home 2-3 days a month. The doctors wanted to do a hysterectomy, but I refused since all my tests came out good. So I put up with heavy bleeding for about one year then I went to a new doctor and she game me information on a new procedure called Ablation. This is a procedure where a heated device is put into the uterus to burn the lining. I had surgery at 11a and went home in the afternoon on the same day. After the procedure I still had periods but with normal bleeding that lasted 3-4 days. I think its called Nova Sure so you may want to look this up on Web MD. If you can't find the information send me a friend request and I will get it for you. Let me know how things go for you. Thanks!
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hemorrhaging: I would have that at times, too. Every 15 minutes I was in the bathroom! I looked it up and saw that taking 800 mg ibuprofen would slow the hemorrhaging down. It helped me for the day but not sure about long term.

Not had spotting yet but glad to know that if I do it's not unusual.
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Yes to all of the above. My last bout with heavy bleeding went on for 20 days and so far as not come back. However I have had more stopps and starts this year than the last two. It's like it never ends. I agree with the other person who posted about the Albation, check into that, and you may need to swtich to another gyno if your current one is not open to other alternatives. I have been in peri menopause now since 2003, the longest I stopped by 8 mths, and this I have done 3 times, but each time it starts back up again the worse was this year with the 65 days period, of which 20 were heavy, and I had to resort to wearing a diaper as I was so worried about making a mess at the office.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a period for one year but twice I had some light spotting for a day or two. Does anyone know if this is normal? Darlene

I did have that, one year after complete cessation of my periods, I suddenly came on!!

I was a little bit confused, went along to the doctors, they sent me to the hospital for a scrape, but was unable to do one for a variety of reasons. I did have a smear, it came back negative, all was well.

I went home and have not have a period since, it has now been a year and a half since that happened.

I have spoken to a few other women who experienced the same thing, it is definitely possible.
  • fibrogirl
    fibrogirl Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I wish i was in the spotting mode....I am in the hemorrhaging for 10 to 20 days phase, then off two weeks then ill for another long 10 or 20 days......Any suggestions....I have been to the gyno. and he recommended an IUD to stop some of the bleeding until full meno hits. I read up on it, I am really not impressed by the risks....He then mentioned Depo>>>>some kind of injection once a month that can put your body into meno mode/pregnancy mode....I really need advice....I am severally anemic and have diabetes and extreme allergies and no one will do surgery.....Could use some helpful hints....Thx.

I´m currently waiting to have a hysterectomy and have experienced both of the options that you´ve been given. The first time I had the depo injection I gained a stone and a half in no time at all and I´d previously never had a weight problem always weing in at around 9 stones and I also bled constantly, even after stopping the injections I still continued to bleed for a year. The Mirena coil was suggested, well I was in constant pain and again bled all of the time and it eventually worked its way out again not the nicest experience in the middle of an aerobics class lol!! So now almost 12 years later I live in the Canaries and have a Spanish doctor and continued to have problems, eventually despite being told it was just my age, I´ve been diagnosed with a large fibroid, and again because they always try to avoid hysterectomy before trying all other options I took primilot nor, a progesterone based pill, no joy apart from the 22lb weight I´d lost last year all piled on again. They suggested the Mirena coil again and didn´t believe it had worked it´s way out, so I gave it another go and at the 6 week check up it´s not there! I´m sure that it hasn´t worked out as the pain was unbelievable the last time and I´ve read that the fibroid can sometimes grow around the coils and in some cases shouldn´t be fitted! So I´m now on the waiting list for a total hysterectomy as my Mum died from cancer of the womb they want to remove everything. Sorry to ramble on but please do check out all of the options but you might be lucky there are a few threads on here about the coil and lots of people have had great success, I just wanted to share my experiences with you. Good luck and I hope that you get some satisfaction and a way forward soon, I´m at my wits end waiting and scared stiff of the outcome!
  • didyb
    didyb Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hemorrhaging: I would have that at times, too. Every 15 minutes I was in the bathroom! I looked it up and saw that taking 800 mg ibuprofen would slow the hemorrhaging down. It helped me for the day but not sure about long term.

Not had spotting yet but glad to know that if I do it's not unusual.

I've used Ibuprofen (just at 400mg) to "stop" my period for the day-- it works. In October, I was having a weird 3 week period-- had enough of it, and took the Ibu 2 days in a row and the preriod finally stopped. Just be sure to have food in your stomach when taking Ibuprofen and do not take more than is listed on the bottle.
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me. I think it's totally normal!
  • ShoeZilla
    ShoeZilla Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I had an Ablation done years ago and have been HAPPILY BLOOD FREE. No bleeding whats so ever. The only problem is I can't track my cycles now. How do I know I am in menopause? Hot Flashes!! I am on HRT now and have been able to "feel" sometimes the symptoms of cycling about once every couple of months. I joined back in May but did nothing since. I am here today making the commitment! I have been having a really hard time getting my weight off. I have gained 30 pounds since last year and I needed to lose 30, so now I need to lose 60! Need some accountability and some support. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • dcdickerson2
    dcdickerson2 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

I was period free for almost exactly one year, then had a period. I guess it was a last hurrah, because there was never another and it has been about 3 years now.
  • ShoeZilla
    ShoeZilla Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sadly, yes it's normal.
  • theperpetualdreamer
    Options
    Hi. I see these posts are old, but anyway... I'm 48, postmenopausal,
    started spotting Sunday, then a bit heavier Monday. Went to GYN yesterday (Tuesday). Go back April 1 for ultrasound and biopsy of back of uterus and a camera insertion to look around. Scared. Anyone ever had a biopsy of the inside top of their uterus? GYN has implied this is going to hurt.
    April 1 seems so far away.
    I'M FALLING APART!! Last week I broke a toe, am in a boot, and through a bizarre and fateful chain of events Urgent Care recognized I had another problem, and I went into emergency surgery to have my gall bladder removed. What a week! No walking or lifting, extra strict diet, and now this!!
  • theperpetualdreamer
    Options
    If you are bleeding/spotting and are truly in menopause, it is NOT normal, though not unheard of, and you should go see your GYN sooner rather than later. Do not wait months for your next appt. as many of us would do.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/menopause/expert-answers/bleeding-after-menopause/faq-20058396
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    started spotting Sunday, then a bit heavier Monday. Went to GYN yesterday (Tuesday). Go back April 1 for ultrasound and biopsy of back of uterus and a camera insertion to look around. Scared. Anyone ever had a biopsy of the inside top of their uterus? GYN has implied this is going to hurt.
    I'M FALLING APART!! Last week I broke a toe, am in a boot, and through a bizarre and fateful chain of events Urgent Care recognized I had another problem, and I went into emergency surgery to have my gall bladder removed. What a week! No walking or lifting, extra strict diet, and now this!!

Sending hugs, and hoping that all goes well on 1 April. Do let us know.
  • theperpetualdreamer
    theperpetualdreamer Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    charmmeth wrote: »

Sending hugs, and hoping that all goes well on 1 April. Do let us know.

Hello all!! Well, there were some complications during the biopsy. The uterus did not dialate with the meds given (apparently the Dr. expected this to more than likely happen), so I got the enjoyment of lying on that table a being pried opened to get the not so good samples of the back, top, and sides of the uterus. Though I didn't cry out loud, tears were pouring out of both eyes. I think the nurse let her know, and they stopped the procedure.

The samples they did get, tested good; though the samples themselves were poor quality (each not large enough and not enough pieces).

The ultrasound, not so good. Poo. The bloodwork, suspicious.

SO, I have another vaginal ultrasound in mid July. If the lining keeps thickening and is not shedding at all, the risk of uterine cancer developing increases. Dr. has already suggested it is likely I'll be put to sleep, and they'll do a full D&C or hysterectomy. We are just crossing that bridge when we come to it.

Do not dismiss bleeding if you are menopausal.
  • stella7x7
    stella7x7 Posts: 2,618 Member
    Options
    I have been in premedipause for several yrs now. I went for 9 month then had a stomach bypass surgery last oct. Then I had 2 months of light period. Then Ive not had one since. I figured that was it. Well last Monday morning I started a period and its been pretty heavy. I havent had a heavy period in a long time. Is this my body giving me one last hurrah? I just turned 54 the start of this month.