No Nonsense November 2022

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
edited December 2022 in Social Groups
There's a statistic that goes around: something like over 25% of people will gain weight between Halloween and New Year's. It's Holiday season. We're busy with work, school, get-togethers, and shopping. We all have a lot on us, including whatever crisis is after us at the moment! :tired_face: It's easy to just say "to heck with it" and cave. And wake up on New Year's Day and looking in the mirror, unhappy with what extra weight we've gained. It happens to the best of us.

During my first LCHF holiday, I checked the weight chart, and I had lost 13lb (almost 6kg) between Oct 31st and my birthday (New Year's Day.) It's possible to not only NOT gain but to LOSE weight during the holiday season.

Planning ahead and keeping an eye on the basics are two of the most important focal points if we want to keep on the up and up in the face of all the junk, goodies, and other nonsense rampant this type of year.

Some people choose to handle this time of year completely on-plan, supplementing low-carb recipes for all our bad-ol' favorites.

What I've done in the past is to pick 1 or 2 events that were most important. For me it was Christmas Eve and New Year's Day (my birthday). I enjoyed those celebrations. Once the day was over, the indulgence was OVER. I brought home no leftovers to continue the nonsense. I picked specific things I was going to have, not ALL THE FOODS. I told myself that at bedtime, the day was over and when I woke in the morning, it was back to the routine. The rest of the days during that period, I planned ahead to stay on-plan. For those other events I didn't select, I either ate before-hand, or brought on-plan dishes to them. The 1st year, I lost 13lb between Halloween and New Year's. The 2nd year, I was very close to goal and lost the 2lb needed to reach my goal weight.

Hey, this time of year can be A LOT. But we can make it work. Together we'll figure this out.

But this challenge is also about monitoring our plan Basics. Focusing on nailing the Basics is what makes the difference.

Consistency + Persistence + Time = Success

Any low-carb plan is welcome. Just post your monthly goals and beginning weight (if you are just planning to maintain through the month, like me, that's cool, too) and check-in daily or weekly with how well you did. Alternately, if you are focusing on keeping to fitness goals instead, that's certainly welcome. After all, this is YOUR challenge.

The Basics:
Staying under carbs
Staying under calories
Logging and measuring
Getting in exercise/movement if that's one of your goals
Keeping an eye on electrolyte levels
Getting enough water
Planning ahead

Share recipes, problems, thoughts.
Fight back against all the NONSENSE life throws at us this time of year. Especially this year! :triumph:

Replies

• taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should make my goal be to maintain and then be pleasantly surprised when I lose. But I’m into repeating my silly behavior so darn it, my goal is to shed some pounds! I’ll do this by not eating after 8pm, eating only when hungry, not having seconds unless I’ve waited at least 20 minutes and staying close to my Macro goals with regards to lower carb and higher protein. Wish me luck!
  • baconslave
    Options
    Glad to see you both made it despite what a hug flake I was about getting the challenge up. :disappointed:
  • taylok23
    Options
    Hey newbies, don’t be shy! Join our challenge and get support throughout the month. There’s great accountability partners here.

As for me, I followed my loose rules yesterday with no snacking and finishing eating early but went over on calories and was low on protein for the day. I need to get to the store to stock up on nutritional choices for the weekend and for lunch at the office next week. The weather is beautiful in Ohio so I should get plenty of movement for the weekend.
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I, being the klutz that I am, tweaked my hip jogging last weekend then made it worse bowling that night. It's really deflating to try and take better care of ourselves then end up injured/in pain. That being said, I immersed myself in IT band articles, preventative exercises and KT taping. I took a break from all workouts for the week and managed bowling last night without much discomfort. Hubby put his old bike on my indoor trainer and it's wonderful. Smoother, quieter and working gears. That's going to be my cardio go to for the winter.

Ok , now for food. Back to basics starting today and have some damage control to do from the past week or so. I have the menu planned for the week but need to prep some portion controlled snacks then HIDE THEM.

The great recent weather in the Northeast has me spoiled and cooler weather is coming tomorrow. Maybe I need the cool down to inspire me LOL
  • taylok23
    Options
    I’m still bouncing in the scales and didn’t do great for the weekend food-wise but I’m digging in today and am going to make this work. I’ve gotten most of the junk outta here and finished off some powerseed toast that keeps tempting me. Enough of the nonsense! Now to convince my saboteur of the same…
  • baconslave
    Options
    taylok23 wrote: »
    I’m still bouncing in the scales and didn’t do great for the weekend food-wise but I’m digging in today and am going to make this work. I’ve gotten most of the junk outta here and finished off some powerseed toast that keeps tempting me. Enough of the nonsense! Now to convince my saboteur of the same…

That's always the thing. That sneaky Saboteur!

I'm just maintaining. Still trying to weather the effects of this new med and how bonkers my life has been. If I come out of this all sane it will be a miracle.
  • taylok23
    Options
    I spent the last two days in the office and wouldn’t you know it- snacks galore holed up in a conference room with others eating all day. Man, that rubs off. Still maintaining though so fingers crossed I can keep this train on the tracks and finish the month off strong. Maybe I’ll do a turkey trot to have something fun to look forward to. Anyone else influenced by others around you?
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    That's one of the reasons I never want to go back into my office, someone was always pushing food! My hubby makes popcorn and I try to be good but it smells so yummy. Ice cream at home is easier to ignore. I've been working out with a group for a fall fitness push. They are all leaning towards a plant based lifestyle which doesn't work for me and while they mean well, it's difficult to not feel a bit bullied.

I'm determined to not bother explaining my choices anymore and when asked if I want something they're pushing, just say no thanks. So hard when we've been conditioned all our lives to be accommodating.
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    Probably like most of the rest of the group, way too much going on this month keeping me from my intentions. Deep breath, take a step forward, get moving. Food is generally ok. I did make some lovely keto pumpkin bread on Wed.
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    I'll be jumping back on the regular workout wagon tomorrow. I think k my head is finally in the right place to resume.
  • baconslave
    Options
    well it's Thanksgiving week for the US. Just do the best you can. :joy:
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,437 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone ... I am still around ... still in a lot of pain with my ankle/foot... I see my podiatrist on 12/8... I think I will be having a 2nd foot surgery ... my 1st surgery was on 10/19 (it shouldn't be hurting this bad I don't think) ..I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and has a very Merry Christmas :)
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    My 10 week fitness push at the gym ended with me losing just .2 lbs but more importantly close to 3 inches. I did my strength test out yesterday and had improved by back row weight from 40 to 55 lbs, tricep and bicep weights from 10 to 12 lbs and chest press/military press from 12 to 15 lbs. Pretty proud of myself considering how since the jogging didn't work out for me, I didn't think I'd see any progress.

Thanksgiving was very low key and I modified some recipes to be much lower carb. I'm looking forward to what December will bring.

@Megan_smartiepants1970 feel better soon!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,437 Member
    Options
    My 10 week fitness push at the gym ended with me losing just .2 lbs but more importantly close to 3 inches. I did my strength test out yesterday and had improved by back row weight from 40 to 55 lbs, tricep and bicep weights from 10 to 12 lbs and chest press/military press from 12 to 15 lbs. Pretty proud of myself considering how since the jogging didn't work out for me, I didn't think I'd see any progress.

Thanksgiving was very low key and I modified some recipes to be much lower carb. I'm looking forward to what December will bring.

@Megan_smartiepants1970 feel better soon!

Thanks Tish :)
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    going back on low carb, it worked good for me before.
  • taylok23
    Options
    I like everyone else have been busy. I was off work last week and kept up workouts but ate with abandon. I gained about .6 of a pound surprisingly as I assumed it would be
    more. I’m under some stress at work so am trying not to eat my feelings but definitely have room for improvement. Maybe next month proves easier. Ha, we’ll see. Hang in there everyone- this is a marathon rather than a sprint.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    last time I did low carb weight came off fast, going slow this time but I am sticking with it.
This discussion has been closed.