B&N Book Haul?

Options
Catfish_Fan
Catfish_Fan Posts: 386 Member
I had an email from B&N about 1/2 price hardcovers, so I browsed. Bad idea. So many great new releases, at great prices. I decided to check Amazon since I have a Prime membership, they are matching prices!

Ok, so I have tsundoku, in Japanese 積ん読, which is acquiring reading materials but letting them pile up in one's home without reading them (or on a bookshelf for later reading), and I did just get rid of all those books that I have already read on my bookshelf leaving so much empty space. Time to fill it? I couldn't resist...

Crossroads by Jonathan Franzen
Skyward Flight by Brandon Sanderson
Take My Hand by Dolen Perkins-Valdez
The Memory Librarian: And Other Stories of Dirty Computer by Janelle Monae
The Justice of Kings by Richard Swan
Billy Summers by Stephen King

I had a lot more added to my cart at B&N but I had to stop. So many great reads at prices less than the e-books... I can't wait to add these to my TBR pile, near the top of the list.

Who else has 積ん読 ? Do you use Amazon or B&N to buy hardcovers? Or do you prefer e-books? I like e-books but with Brooklyn Public Library shutting me out, I have to make due with what is available (plus, these books all have interminable waitlists). Glad I saved that mad money from my birthday gift, this will be like Christmas.

Replies

• Btrflydog
    Btrflydog Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Who knew there was a word for what I have in Japanese :D. I get those emails from B&N too. So far I have been good about avoiding them. I have however, not been good about avoiding the discount book bin at the grocery store. Usually, the stuff in there is not what I would read, but lately I've been finding things I would read, and at $5/book that's just too hard to pass up.

I usually go to Amazon or Half Price Books for my books. There is an actual HPB here in Phoenix, but I usually shop online. They have stores all over the place and that gives you a lot more options if you are shopping second hand to save money. HPB.com for those who are interested.
  • FitMary202
    FitMary202 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I had an email from B&N about 1/2 price hardcovers, so I browsed. Bad idea. So many great new releases, at great prices. I decided to check Amazon since I have a Prime membership, they are matching prices!

Ok, so I have tsundoku, in Japanese 積ん読, which is acquiring reading materials but letting them pile up in one's home without reading them (or on a bookshelf for later reading), and I did just get rid of all those books that I have already read on my bookshelf leaving so much empty space. Time to fill it? I couldn't resist...

Crossroads by Jonathan Franzen
    Skyward Flight by Brandon Sanderson
    Take My Hand by Dolen Perkins-Valdez
    The Memory Librarian: And Other Stories of Dirty Computer by Janelle Monae
    The Justice of Kings by Richard Swan
    Billy Summers by Stephen King

I had a lot more added to my cart at B&N but I had to stop. So many great reads at prices less than the e-books... I can't wait to add these to my TBR pile, near the top of the list.

Who else has 積ん読 ? Do you use Amazon or B&N to buy hardcovers? Or do you prefer e-books? I like e-books but with Brooklyn Public Library shutting me out, I have to make due with what is available (plus, these books all have interminable waitlists). Glad I saved that mad money from my birthday gift, this will be like Christmas.

Guilty as charged!! I thought it was a requirement for membership in this group, no? :D
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    If Amazon does not stop selling "on sale" kindle books that are good (many have been from my lists lately) I am going to go broke!
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    LOL! -
    “When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes.”

― Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus

But he didn't have to deal with Amazon sales.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    My current Tsundoku. I am down to 7 shelving units of unread books (and I can't count the kindle collection):
    cr0vfvjxhlyz.jpeg
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    Well at least yours is nice and tidy. Mine is 3 bookshelves, several boxes, and a couple of loose stacks. Oh and don't forget the pile on the nightstand.
  • beccaboo1276414
    beccaboo1276414 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. Sometimes, I will just open a book to a random page and read it. I get some interesting insights that way at times.
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    Went to Half Price Books Saturday - Author challenge is a good excuse to go when I find myself light in a certain letter of the alphabet. Picked up a Y and V - now the get them read before year end.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I don't think we have that store here, at least, well if we do I don't know where it's at. We used to have a Bargain Books that was a favorite store of mine but it went out of business...
  • Btrflydog
    edited April 2023
    Options
    The are all over the country. If one is not near you - you can always shop online, but then you end up paying shipping. Usually just media mail postage.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I just checked, there aren't any in Michigan. :/
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    Going to Half Price Books today- I have a 10% off coupon - I really am going to need to check to see if there is a 12 step program for tsundoku
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Btrflydog wrote: »
    Going to Half Price Books today- I have a 10% off coupon - I really am going to need to check to see if there is a 12 step program for tsundoku

One of the steps is moving. If, when moving house, 2/3 of the boxes are books, and those are the heaviest boxes by the way, you will reorganize. You would have thought I would learn that lesson in 2015, but of course not. I am now slowly shedding books from my collection, for every few kindle or library books I try to get one off my shelf to read and when finished I donate it. I know "Goodwill ain't Goodwillin' no more" (as I read someone post someplace) and they are raking in big money now, overcharging for donated items, they are still the easiest place for me to drop off used books. I do it one box at a time.
  • FitMary202
    edited July 2023
    Options

:D:D:D
    If only there were...

But Catfish is right! "New book in" means "old book out" (or something closer to that than the current hoarding) would be a good start... Must try! Soon!
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    Oh Nooooooooooo! Book Haul is back - just opened my email. The 2nd book to one I picked up last year is 50% off the hardcover. I think I'm going to Barnes & Noble tomorrow. I'll order it for in store pick up and take Tom with me - he get's impatient in bookstores - he's not the reader I am. Hopefully, I won't get into too much trouble.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Oh Nooooooooooo! Book Haul is back - just opened my email. The 2nd book to one I picked up last year is 50% off the hardcover. I think I'm going to Barnes & Noble tomorrow. I'll order it for in store pick up and take Tom with me - he get's impatient in bookstores - he's not the reader I am. Hopefully, I won't get into too much trouble.

:D:D:D Love the idea of "big trouble at the bookstore"!!
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I am starting to free up some shelf space, I'll have to browse the sale...
  • FitMary202
    edited August 2023
    Options

:D:D:D "Old" dogs REFUSING to learn new tricks!
  • Btrflydog
    edited August 2023
    Options

Just don't blame me for letting you know about it 🤣🤣📚📚📚📚

I managed to get out of the store with only 3 books.