Follow me if you fit this category please!

Options
124»

Replies

• nay0m3
    nay0m3 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    @k8richly Glute Guy is Bret Contreras Just sending that along quickly while I have a minute!
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,905 Member
    Options
    @k8richly I’ll try to switch my afternoon slump into a fruit +protein (meat/egg). I’m sure the dopamine from the sugar is why I’m driven to it. But yea, I am NOT hitting my protein. Targets . I’m under probably by 25-50g
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    @k8richly yep. It’s Bret. And I just finished one of his 12 week programs. They don’t call me Banging Bootay for nothing now! 😵‍💫☹️. A bit too bangin for me altho as I posted earlier everyone loves my body before. Wish I could!
  • k8richly
    k8richly Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Will check him out and take it slow/light. 12 weeks sounds like a long commitment but that's me being impatient. Thx!!!
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options
    @jbanx256 Does the body really change after 50yr? Is my overwhelming need for sugar really just a mental thing? What can I do to motivate/discipline myself to eat lunch and then not eat until 6pm?
    I'm SOOOO feeling like i'm struggling with sugar and I eat a balanced lunch, and I just want another snack 30mins later. and then I want another hit an hour later and.... well by the time I get to 5pm I'm not hungry for dinner but, I have to have something with the family. and I keep trying to break out of the cycle. I get out of it a day or 2 but, then wham..... back in it. I've really been trying to figure it out on my own but I just ain't making the progress.
    How can I get out of this repeated pattern? I knwo a LOT of ladies and men struggle with this time of day.

Yes, absolutely! Building muscle/strength is going to be more difficult, but not impossible. As far as losing fat goes, there was a HYOUGE study by Pontzer in 2021 that proved human metabolism is remarkably stable from ages ~20 until 60. All the, "well I was basically a professional athlete in high school but the minute I turned 30 (or 40, or 50),I just started gaining weight," is total *clears throat* MALARKY.
    Daily energy expenditure through the human life course
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34385400/

As far as going from lunch until dinner...that's really a personal thing. Other than zzzzzz-time, it's very rare for me to go 6 hours without food. I mean sometimes it happens cause that's just how life goes, but if I'm going that long without food, I'm probably starting to get pretty hangry! Do you not have time to grab a snack or...? Not sure of your workplace time constraints, but would it be possible to push your lunch back a little bit later?

If it's a calorie thing, can you trim a few calories from other meals and get a bit of wiggle room so you can have a small snack (fat free cottage cheese or Greek yogurt? jerky? protein shake (IF - and that's an IF - a liquid snack would help?), I mean nip 50-75 calories from 2 other meals during the day and you've got 100-150 calories (Quest and One protein bars are right at ~200 cal with ~20g protein, or Misfits makes vegan protein bars that are I want to say ~180 cal with 15g protein)?

I know some people just don't do well with smaller, more frequent meals because they never feel FULL, but personally - ESPECIALLY when I'm at work - I'd rather do it that way. Like most of the guys on my shift eat one big meal, but I normally have a sorta snacky-type thing early in the shift and then try to break my main meal into halves (or close to it) and eat it in 2 go's. Of course with my job I get interrupted a lot and sometimes it's 3 or 4 attempts just to eat half of my meal but still LOL. I really don't like being FULL at work because sometimes that makes me feel sorta sluggish and just...if something goes sideways & I have to sprint or fight or whatever, a full belly probably ain't the best, yano?

Generally though if I'm hungry and not actually gonna eat for awhile, chew gum/mints, drink flavored water (Skittles makes those little flavoring packets! and yes they taste just like the candy!!!) or diet soda (a bit of caffeine can also help with hunger sometimes too).

• k8richly
    k8richly Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Hey @CeeBeeSlim did you actually pay for Bret's online program "Booty by Bret"? Seems expensive to me. I'd rather pay for a personal trainer IRL. Or did you just follow an out-of- a book program? Me and my booty are committed to change in 2023!
  • CeeBeeSlim
    Options
    Happy New Year!

@k8richly. I bought his book Strong Curves and followed two of the 4 12 week lprograms in there.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    Options
    @k8richly - posted too soon! I never purchased any of this newer programs. Folks swear by him and Mark Carroll.

The first program I did in SC was lower body only. Quick and not bad - and the one he likes best. Once I wanted more upper body development I switched to his advanced (but not so advanced since I did it) full body workout. Did it 3 days a week and each workout is about an hour.

I could figure out how to send you a template but I’m not techie. If you search on Reddit I’m sure you’ll find his templates. If you get stuck and interested let me know - will ask my niece.
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    @jbanx256 Does the body really change after 50yr? Is my overwhelming need for sugar really just a mental thing? What can I do to motivate/discipline myself to eat lunch and then not eat until 6pm?
    I'm SOOOO feeling like i'm struggling with sugar and I eat a balanced lunch, and I just want another snack 30mins later. and then I want another hit an hour later and.... well by the time I get to 5pm I'm not hungry for dinner but, I have to have something with the family. and I keep trying to break out of the cycle. I get out of it a day or 2 but, then wham..... back in it. I've really been trying to figure it out on my own but I just ain't making the progress.
    How can I get out of this repeated pattern? I knwo a LOT of ladies and men struggle with this time of day.

@SherryRueter :

I think there are two things to think about:

1. if you get completely off the processed sugar, it will get much easier after a few weeks not to give in. It doesn't mean you shouldn't have fruit or other natural sugars, just say no to sweets in all their processed forms. Difficult at first, after some weeks it will become a second nature. Go for fruit, of some filling veggies (cherry tomatoes, sticks of cucumber, soup in winter, frozen grapes in the summer, apples, berries,...)
    2. Have you thought about drinking a large cup of tea in the afternoon? Not the herbal or fruity kind, but the strong black one, steeped for as long as possible? I know it helps me (earl grey please). Not only is it some kind form of appetite suppressant, it will also hydrate you.