This January I Will....

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
doij5pg2hjr8.jpg

Happy 2023! We are looking forward to a terrific year building new habits and deepening the good healthy habits we already have. If you are joining us for the first time, a very warm welcome! We are glad you are here. Our focus on creating healthy habits sets us apart from most other groups on MFP. It isn't enough to want to lose weight or to want to eat better. Any goal takes more than just desire: it takes a realistic plan with small, specific, do-able actions steps, and the commitment to see the plan through, even when it's difficult. Plus, it takes support and a cheering squad. Plan + Action Steps + Cheering Squad = THIS GROUP!

Maddie and I can’t overstate the importance of starting slowly with small, achievable daily steps that you can build upon. We want you to succeed at your goals and habits researchers are clear that the most successful path to any goal is through small, repeatable actions taken everyday. These repeatable actions grow into habits and good habits will change your life.

Still not convinced that small changes can have that big an impact? Ask our veteran habit builders what small changes they’ve made in their lives that have had a big impact on their health and happiness.

And if you're joining us midway through the month, no need to wait until February. Begin now and you'll be that much closer to achieving your goal. If you're looking for ideas, our list of previous challenges may come in handy.

Let's hear what you'll be prioritizing this January. Let's make 2023 our best year yet!

🌷Denise & 🌸Maddie
@themedalist & @MadisonMolly2017

New to Habit Building?

Please review our Newcomer’s Guide and our Nuts and Bolts of Habit Building as it will help you get started. Set a reminder to check-in periodically with us. Check-in daily, weekly, or as often as works for you, but let us know how you are progressing! We're here to support and encourage you, but if you don't post, we can't cheer you on.

Replies

• Tracytheknitter
    Tracytheknitter Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This January I will habit stack drinking a glass of water each morning as part of my morning routine
  • themedalist
    Options
    Great goal for January, @Tracytheknitter! Habit stacking is a great approach!
  • themedalist
    Options
    I am going to roll over my December goals into January as they are both important to continue: using my happy light daily and tracking my food intake. But I think I’m going to use a different visual tracking system this year, one that will show my progress over the whole year. I’m going to use this calendar:

muw7r774bkbi.jpeg

So for January:

“I am a healthy, happy person who eats a healthy diet and needs sunshine daily. Since abundant sunshine is sparse in New England in the wintertime and I can’t walk outdoors safely, I will use my happy light and track my food daily giving me a visual record of my healthy eating practices.”
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,215 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    @77tes Deepest sympathy on the loss of your sister. I hope your leg continues to heal and you recover mobility quickly. (((Hugs)))

I also use my Fitbit buzzer as a prompt to exercise
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,594 Member
    Options
    Wishing everyone a successful and happy new year.

My January goals: to obtain 35-40 miles of my 100 mile winter challenge and to be present at the gym at least 10 times. It’s hard as I have much of my own equipment to exercise at home so I go really to encourage and support my dh.
  • RevivingRachel
    RevivingRachel Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    This January I am concentrating on paying attention to what I put in my body. The habit I am working on is tracking my food. I am also focusing on making sure I drink enough water on the days I work from home.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    @77tes , I also offer you my deepest sympathy on the loss of your older sister. I was so sorry to read that, in addition to you having suffered a fractured ankle 💕💐 💕 .

Hugs,

🌺🦋🌷
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    Each post was so wonderful to read, and also encouraging as well as inspiring. Oh my!! Especially in January! I only have time to respond to two:

@themedalist what a good idea for a year of progress tracker! And that is a really good tracker to show your progress over the year, literally! Sounds perfect to roll over your December goals, especially in winter with the 'happy light'!!

@77tes, those are amazing "major goals" for 2023!

I'm still trying to figure out how I want to approach this year, both for tracking in this group, as well as on my own for general overall improvement and making good choices overall and some positive changes where needed.

🌺🦋🌷
  • jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 4,109 Member
    Options
    @77tes I am so sorry for your loss of your older sister. You have shared beautiful photos in the past of your English Country dancing with a sister and your amazing costumes. Was it this sister? My heart goes out to you and your family. 💛

And then to have broken your ankle as well. I’ve been there and it isn’t pleasant. Wishing you well as you heal. 🥰
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,215 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    🍎🍇🫐🍓🥝🍓🫐🍇🍎
    🍎🍇🫐 DECEMBER 🫐🍇🍎
    🍎🍇🫐🍓🥝🍓🫐🍇🍎

I am a person who values the health and fitness of body mind and soul

In January I am focused on recovering from the dreaded lurgy.

I am concentrating on re-establishing my strength and flex workouts, and consolidation of Solid Habits.

How:
    📍cardio/strength >5 minutes as soon as my alarm goes off. I already do a short walk each morning, so will add the workout to that.
    Reward: based on the first 2 mornings:-
    the adrenaline rush that the exercise gave me.
    🏋🏻‍♀️🏋🏻‍♀️🏋🏻‍♀️

📍Avoid foods with added sugar
    Reward: reduction in pain and associated inflammation
    👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻
    Daily Solid Habits:
    Solid Habits
    💎Daily Meditation
    💎CleanToilets/Walk/Make beds
    💎Post Sole Mates steps
    💎Weigh < 140/log
    💎Monitor %age Fat/Muscle
    💎Log CI<CO/Balance macros
    💎Herbal tea/supplements
    💎Self care
    💎Quality time with DH
    💎Ablutions/dress/Shiny sinks
    💎Breakfast
    💎Intentional exercise > 60 minutes
    💎Cardio > 7500 steps
    💎Strength > 15 minutes
    💎Flex > 15 minutes
    💎Active hours > 6
    💎Declutter > 15 minutes
    💎paint/draw/write/read
    💎Craft/crochet
    💎Gardening
    💎jigsaw/puzzles/TV favourites
    💎Meet with friends
    💎Quality family time
    💎Sole Mates evening reminder
    💎JGM10Ds/JFT/UAC
    💎Close Apple rings
    💎Building Better Habits
    💎Duolingo Latin
    💎Puzzles/read/TV
    💎Update Women over 50
    💎Daily chores
    💚💚💚

Energy and appetite are still variable, so I’m concentrating on getting a healthy, balanced diet.

Where there’s a will, there’s a way!

• donna25trinity
    donna25trinity Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    1st to 3rd Jan
    I am a person that pretracks every night ♥
    I am person that Tracks all food Including over eating days, weekends and grazing! ♥
    I am a person that does workouts she enjoys... Mon situps run and weights. Tue run, sit ups, Wed weights, situps and boxing. Thur run, skipping and boxing♥
    I am a person that manages her time efficiently by leaving work on time, between 4.30pm to 4.45pm the latest!♥
    I am a person that gives herself grace by taking a break from weighing myself daily and instead just focus on habits, behaviours, building muscle and strength and a healthy relationship with food and my body!♥
    I am a person who loves nourishing her body and doesn't need to eat chocolate every night! ♥
    I am a person that lives in the present moment, savouring the time with my loved ones! ♥
    I am a person that schedules some time out for herself weekly! ♥
    I am a person that knows who she is and does not need to rely on the opionon of others! ♥
    I am a person that makes decisions that are not centred around guilt♥
    I am woman who self reflects by writing at least 1 word in her Journal a day! 👇

• allisonkbryan
    allisonkbryan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I’m Allison from South Carolina. Just turned 56 on 12/26. Doing my best to start 2023 with better focus on my health. This group looks like a good fit for me. My first new habit will be this January I will put a glass of water by bed to drink when I first wake up every morning.
  • dodieneatfreakwannabe
    dodieneatfreakwannabe Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I am going to roll over my December goals into January as they are both important to continue: using my happy light daily and tracking my food intake. But I think I’m going to use a different visual tracking system this year, one that will show my progress over the whole year. I’m going to use this calendar:

muw7r774bkbi.jpeg

So for January:

“I am a healthy, happy person who eats a healthy diet and needs sunshine daily. Since abundant sunshine is sparse in New England in the wintertime and I can’t walk outdoors safely, I will use my happy light and track my food daily giving me a visual record of my healthy eating practices.”

That's wonderful!! I love the "I AM" statements!! <3 That's awesome.
  • dodieneatfreakwannabe
    dodieneatfreakwannabe Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    1st to 3rd Jan
    I am a person that pretracks every night ♥
    I am person that Tracks all food Including over eating days, weekends and grazing! ♥
    I am a person that does workouts she enjoys... Mon situps run and weights. Tue run, sit ups, Wed weights, situps and boxing. Thur run, skipping and boxing♥
    I am a person that manages her time efficiently by leaving work on time, between 4.30pm to 4.45pm the latest!♥
    I am a person that gives herself grace by taking a break from weighing myself daily and instead just focus on habits, behaviours, building muscle and strength and a healthy relationship with food and my body!♥
    I am a person who loves nourishing her body and doesn't need to eat chocolate every night! ♥
    I am a person that lives in the present moment, savouring the time with my loved ones! ♥
    I am a person that schedules some time out for herself weekly! ♥
    I am a person that knows who she is and does not need to rely on the opionon of others! ♥
    I am a person that makes decisions that are not centred around guilt♥
    I am woman who self reflects by writing at least 1 word in her Journal a day! 👇

This is AMAZING! You've inspired me! If you don't mind, I'm going to copy some of these!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,890 Member
    Options
    jamcnewman wrote: »
    @77tes I am so sorry for your loss of your older sister. You have shared beautiful photos in the past of your English Country dancing with a sister and your amazing costumes. Was it this sister? My heart goes out to you and your family. 💛

And then to have broken your ankle as well. I’ve been there and it isn’t pleasant. Wishing you well as you heal. 🥰

Thanks for your kind words. My sister who passed away wasn’t my dancing/costuming sister (we are the two youngest who were still home after the other three siblings had left the nest). My older sister was our babysitter when she was a teen and we were little.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,890 Member
    Options
    Habit 1 - I will do my leg mobility exercises before I get out of bed in the morning.
    Habit 2 - When my Fitbit activity buzzer goes off I will drink water and do some stretches.

So far my habits are doing well

January 1 - Habit 1 👍Habit 2 12/14 stretch /water
    January 2 - Habit 1 👍 Habit 2. 14/14 stretch /water
    January 3 - Habit 1 👍 Habit 2. 12/14 stretch /water
  • jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 4,109 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    Habit 1 - I will do my leg mobility exercises before I get out of bed in the morning.
    Habit 2 - When my Fitbit activity buzzer goes off I will drink water and do some stretches.

So far my habits are doing well

January 1 - Habit 1 👍Habit 2 12/14 stretch /water
    January 2 - Habit 1 👍 Habit 2. 14/14 stretch /water
    January 3 - Habit 1 👍 Habit 2. 12/14 stretch /water
    @77tes
    You are doing great getting both habits well established! I have had extensive experience with ankle and resultant injuries and surgeries and can assure you that all the minutes spent on mobility exercises will serve you well as you continue to break down scar tissue and help your body to heal. I still do mine every morning before rising from bed. My original accident and surgery was 10 years ago in 2012; the ankle fusion was in 2017 (once they figured out what was still happening). I credit the physio and exercise and stretching with helping figure out that a structural erosion was happening.

Thinking of you each day as you grieve the loss of your sister. 💛
  • vbb34
    vbb34 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am not new to MFP but new to posting. I am looking for motivation. I have always been in the 145 range and just recently have jumped all the way up to 215. My goal is to be more active starting now, drink more water, and consistently log in my food intake. I don't eat a lot of junk but do find myself overeating at meals when I am already full. Hopefully I can get this nipped in the butt with motivational posts from others.