I’m back!

Options
stephtra49
stephtra49 Posts: 168 Member
Well it only took 6 years but I gained the 40lbs I lost back. Since 2020 I’ve been on a destructive journey! After my father passed I basically didn’t care about my weight or wellbeing. I quit walking or working out. Then my middle sister passed away last fall and I really didn’t care if I was over weight! I was content with life! Until Friday when I found out my oldest sister was in the hospital diagnosed with type 2diabetes! 😳! Well REALITY CHECK, I’m young yet 53, I need to feel better about myself, do what I can to stay away from the health issues that seem to be popping up all around me!
So I rejoined MFP, started meal planning for the week, went to the market for fruits and vegetables, and I’m going to get back to walking 3-6 miles a day! The treadmill will have to suffice until the weather is a bit warmer but that’s ok. I know I can do this!

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,263 Member
    Options
    Welcome back!

What a bunch of struggles you've been dealing with. I hope this will be the start of something successful in your life that can bring you joy.

Find something to keep your mind occupied on the treadmill so you'll keep doing it. I have found it hard to just do it without some kind of distraction. But make sure you still pay attention so you don't fall off!

Fruits and veggies - that's great. I challenged all my friends, and a group I am in, to eat eleven servings a day this week since it was the eleventh week of the year. The USDA says we should eat five servings, but some research says we should eat ten. I told folks try to make it go to eleven in the spirit of This is Spinal Tap. It's been tough. I've managed at least five a day, but there was one day I was close. I only got to ten or eleven two days, both when I roasted a whole cauliflower and I love that stuff. Last night I also roasted a big beet and a giant parsnip.

And of course use the tools here on MFP to keep track of how MUCH of all those healthy food you're eating, because that's the key to losing excess weight and fat - eat less than you burn. Take it slow. It took six years to gain your weight, don't expect to lose it quickly.
  • stephtra49
    stephtra49 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • StrongMum2017
    StrongMum2017 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Your story resonated with me. I have gained back the 60lbs I lost in 2017 & kept off for almost 5 years. It has been a rough year. My Mum passed away unexpected, we moved, and then my mother in law passed away. I have stopped taking care of myself and my active lifestyle just stopped. Ready to get back at it so I can feel better!!
  • MizLandryEats
    MizLandryEats Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Those are huge struggles and I'm sorry for your losses. It's good you're back! I'm on the tail end of my 50s and those chronic issues are cropping up and also dealing with loss of friends and family. At this point all of us know what to do, finding the motivation is what's hard. For me, a medical diagnosis of LPR was the thing that kicked me in the head!