Living the Lifestyle Thursday 3/23/23

Options
imastar2
imastar2 Posts: 6,022 Member
edited March 2023 in Social Groups
This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – Flintwinch (Tim) ?
Wednesday - misterhub (Greg)
Thursday -imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: Decisions about our daily meals. Experts say that people make up 35,000 decisions a day. It's stated that we make 227 decisions a day for food alone (who in the world could come up with that number of decisions for food daily) . I don't know how that can be but none the less decisions to eat can be a chore. I know Greg has run the MTBC off and on and this topic really doesn't refer to MTBC because we really should be doing that anyway.

So I realize that some folks have the same thing daily but many of us struggle with what we want to eat or like to mix it up. Do you find decision making for what you'd like to eat each day difficult?

Replies

• imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,022 Member
    Options
    These topics seem to difficult to come up with when you do it every week but it keeps me in the game ad keeps me thinking about different subjects that I struggle with so that's where this topic came up to me today. I googled decision making and it just went on from there.

So yes I and DW do struggle with what we want to eat everyday. She usually prepares the evening meal so that's one decision I don't usually have to make. Breakfast I'm always on my own and that is pretty well figured out for me as I rotate between poached eggs and maybe a turkey sausage patty no toast. Then some days I'll have 2 poached eggs and an instant pack of grits mixed together. Some days bran cereal and milk occasionally a small banana on it.

Lunch can be very challenging especially if I'm out and about. With the price of eating out it's just about no fun and certainly not satisfying to eat out any more for me. So I'd like to make it easier to eliminate some of the decisions for food during the lunch time and that involves decision making at the grocery store. DW has also been doing that as well so I try to communicate to her what I'd like to have during the week if possible. Either way the decision making goes on and keep working with it.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I suspect the majority of 277 decisions about food are related to turning down the stimulus of Cinnabon smells, or the lure of driving past a Dunkin' store - in other words, decisions NOT to eat. Just a hunch.

For me, the decisions for breakfast and lunch are “have my default, or have something else?” Beyond that, dinner is “eat in or eat out?” Eat in is defined by what’s thawed that I’ve already cooked (or what’s left over). Eating out tends to be a rotation of three or four places, and I’ve got regular options that are generally weight-friendly. The issue is whether a special that’s offered looks sufficiently better than my regular options to spend the points.

What I struggle with mostly is the first bucket - turning away from temptation.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I'm incredibly boring, and I guess from the food decision-making process, that's actually a useful trait. I've got a mostly set eating plan. Cereal every day for breakfast. Lunch is always leftovers from dinner the night before. Dinner is usually some combo of chicken, veggies, and potato. Once in a while there's fish and salad.

I find I get in the most trouble when I'm bored or out of my usual routine. Traveling is always a challenge for me, for example.

So, the less decisions the better (for me)!
  • ClayandRocks
    ClayandRocks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have a list of my 9 favorite lunch spots (plus 1 blank for variety) that I rotate through every two weeks. Lunch is my big meal for the day. I know these places so well that I have pre-tracked my likely choices, and having that info keeps the decision-making easy.

For home cooked meals I pretty much wing it based on what is in the house and easy. Accent on the easy. I have a strong pattern here, too, so the decisions remain relatively simple. Many meals are nothing but vegetables. Canned fish, frozen shrimp, frozen cooked chicken and eggs are my typical proteins so as to keep cooking time short, flavorings tend to be Asian, usually will avoid pasta or rice. All I keep in mind is that whatever gets assembled should have pretty low points -- between 5 and 10 for dinner -- because the home cooked meals are where I have to shave points to make up for any splurges elsewhere.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,490 Member
    Options
    Breakfast = oatmeal. That’s settled.
    Rotate among a few lunches.
    Dinner is protein, usually chicken but sometimes pork loin or fish and veggies.

Food boredom was a common complaint at my WW meeting. I thought the answer was to embrace the boredom.