New to Oz

Options
5dogmom1
5dogmom1 Posts: 1 Member
Hello,

Well after 35 years of struggling with my weight, I had my first Oz injection yesterday (.25). I am a 52 years old and menopausal
Not too bad today. Lunch has definitely kept me full and I am logging all my food. A little nausea (ginger tea is helping), but overall feel good. I have a out 90 pounds to lose. Took a 2 mile hike this afternoon, and per my food log, I will have a 950 calorie deficit after dinner. Is everyone here tracking their food and steps? I realize Oz effects everyone differently but for me, I hope it will silence my food demon and make me want to drink less alcohol. I had a failed lap band removed last June and have gained 25 pounds. A few years ago, I lost 75 pounds in keto and fasting. I honestly got burned out.
I am going to try to stick to a flexible diet focused on whole grains, lean protiens, and lots of veggies. Please, wish me luck 🙏

Replies

• buniphuphu
    buniphuphu Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    You started just a few days before I did. Good luck to you!
  • JCFan3
    JCFan3 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am new to ozempic also. I’m 50 and menopausal too. I need to lose 70 more pounds to get to a healthy weight. It doesn’t seem possible because that is what I weighed as an early teen when I was athletic and very active. Would be a dream come true if this could help me get there. I have been T2 for 12 years now and need to get it under control. Last A1C was 9. I have grown up with processed and fast foods. I need to learn more about healthy foods and what to look for and buy and how to cook it.
    Best wishes to both of you in your journeys!!
  • buniphuphu
    buniphuphu Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing really well. Maybe instead of trying to remember to log all your meals for the day, focus on logging that morning avocado toast. Once that becomes a habit, then you can try to add in logging more meals/snacks!
  • JCFan3
    Options
    I’m not really sure what eating healthy looks like. I’m used to a diet of pizza, pasta, breads, fast foods, processed foods. Would love to be able to view your diary if it is open and learn more about healthier choices
  • akindofmagick
    akindofmagick Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hi, @JCFan3 .

I don't eat any of those things, other than toast. I enjoy cooking, and do ~2 hours of food prep almost every Sunday to feed me and my remaining kid at home. This is my typical day:

AM: A warm glass of "tea" consisting of water, lemon or lime juice, a splash of sugar-free Torani syrup, and supplements: mushroom powder, turmeric, ginger, biotin, and vitamin D.

Breakfast: one slice of organic, seeded whole wheat bread, toasted, with melted cheddar cheese, avocado and pine nuts on top. I don't always have ripe avocados on hand, tho, so sometimes I'll prep a batch of Irish oatmeal, and have that every day for a week instead. And sometimes I'll get on a smoothie kick, and have a daily smoothie, usually with a Kirkland chocolate protein drink as the base, plus a frozen banana and PB powder.

Sipped daily from breakfast to lunch: one 16 ounce cup of coffee, with a capful of sugar-free Irish Cream Torani syrup and a splash of oat milk.

Snack: one container Greek yogurt

Lunch: Roasted root veggies plus garlic (I make a pan of these in the air fryer every Sunday, 8 months of the year), or homemade soup, or a salad with protein on top (a hard boiled egg, usually, but sometimes oil-free pan fried tofu cubes), or leftovers from dinner. I bring my own lunch to work every day.

Snack: Piece of fruit, or a grapefruit cup, plus ten almonds or half pecans (raw; no salt)

Dinner: varies wildly (I really do like to cook!). Examples: Asian stir fries (no noodles or rice). Scrambled eggs with homemade garlic chili crisp oil. Air-fryer tofu with peanut sauce. Rarely (tho the kids like them): Chicken cordon bleu. Chicken teriyaki skewers. Pork cutlets. Always: some sort of seasonal cooked vegetable: squash, spinach, bok choy, mushrooms, broccoli, asparagus, etc.

Finally: I drink two 16 oz bottles of sparkling water every day. (SodaStream)

I'm finding with Ozempic, tho, that 2-3 bites of dinner is all I can handle, which is good, as you don't want to go to bed with a full stomach on this medicine.
  • RunningMama32
    RunningMama32 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I love that you are pairing OZ with healthy eating, i am doing that too. My goal is that OZ is just temporary and that i won't gain when i get off of it. Eating clean is the trick! Just did my first injection last night.
  • JCFan3
    Options
    Thank you @ akindofmagick for sharing your daily eating habits. I am a long weigh off from my diet looking similar to yours. I am currently trying to cut back on pop, candy, sweets, chips, and portion sizes when eating out. My mentality is to try and make my bad to good, then my good to better, then my better to best. Baby steps as I struggle with binge eating and have had these poor eating habits for many many years. I want to have a lifestyle I am able to maintain. I no longer what a quick fix then to gain it all back.
  • jmgatin
    jmgatin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I just started Ozempic recently: just had my 4th dose which I increased to .5 from .25mg. Like 5dogmom1, I am well past menopause, had a failed lap band removed in April and have struggled up and down the scale for about 35 years. So far, I am not sure I have actually lost any weight! It fluctuates a lot, so will wait til I go back to the doc and weigh on his scale.
    The only side effect I am really experiencing is a bit of constipation and have a plan to start using some daily psyllium to combat that. Trying to keep my eating fairly consistent with lots of veggies and protein, but I really struggle with the motivation to exercise!!! I keep saying, Today I will go for a walk or do some weights, but can't seem to get there!
  • lb75081
    lb75081 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You are so inspiring. I only lost 1 pound after my first shot. I weigh in this Wednesday hoping for more of course.

I need to lose about 100 pounds.
  • akindofmagick
    akindofmagick Posts: 143 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    The .25 and .5 doses are to get your body accustomed to the med. Depending on the amount you need to lose, any weight loss at those dose levels is bonus. I want to lose 47 pounds. I lost ~9 pounds the first 8 weeks (lost 3 pounds the first week; after that it kept fluctuating: some weeks nothing, but a general glide downwards). I didn't really start to lose weight consistently until hitting 1.0mg... now I'm steadily losing 1 to 1.5 pounds a week. Perfect to prevent hair loss, IMO!

Note that Semaglutide is not a miracle drug. It's a TOOL. It works slowly, and works better if you move your body more and eat mindfully: protein first, then veggies, then fruit, and if you're still hungry: carbs/sweets. You may experience negative reactions with greasy food and sugar: stay away from fast foods. Failing to move enough and to stay hydrated WILL result in constipation. I have also experienced diarrhea, usually the first day after an injection.

Good luck!

Sheri

SW: 192
    CW: 177
    GW: 145