5 April Sign In

Options
LazyBlondeChef
LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?

Replies

• LazyBlondeChef
    Options
    Exercise – what’s it for? What does it do for you?

The official title for today is “Cannot Achieve Goals with Exercise Alone”

But that begs the question – What is your goal?

Whatever your goal – weight loss/gain/maintenance, fat loss/muscle gain, increased fitness, dealing with medical issues, dealing with mental health issues – exercise can be very useful in assisting you towards these goals.

There are many different ways to exercise – from simple walking, to weightlifting and all sorts of classes, including online. Finding something you enjoy will make it much easier to incorporate it into your day/week.

And don’t forget, its amazing what exercise will do for your mental health, particularly if you can get outside – green and/or blue environments work especially well.

You don’t have to run or jog, just walking is a good place to start. And it doesn’t have to be hours or even 20 minutes all in one go. Split it up into 5 or 10 minute sessions if that’s easier for you. If you have mobility issues look for seated exercises – Utube is the place to find them.

Go for it!

To demonstrate that weight loss is achieved by restricting calories and that exercise is only a minor help to this process I have looked at my own calorie burn with different exercise.
    When you read these bear in mind that I am a little old lady: 153cm, 50kg and nearly 72 years old. Your stats will be different.

200 calories = 60 minutes bike riding, or = 40 minutes aerobics or = 75 minutes walking moderate pace.

On the other side of the CI v CO equation we have:

Fox’s Fabulous Triple chocolate cookie = 115 calories
    Sainsbury’s scone = 304 calories
    Morrison’s Victoria sponge cake – 1 slice = 236 calories.
    Subway chocolate cookie = 210 calories

So, a 60 minute bike ride is totally negated by one slice of quite a plain cake, one large cookie or two biscuits.

Treat your exercise calories with caution. The MFP recommendation is to eat those extra calories but be aware that all these are only estimates. Don’t treat yourself to all the goodies in one day.

[copied from @lesdarts180 prior month posts]
  • donna25trinity
    donna25trinity Posts: 3,008 Member
    Options
    Yes x3
  • GinLee61
    GinLee61 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Date: 4/5

Exercised?: Y, 50 minutes low impact aerobics and 22 minutes strength exercises with weights
    Calories?: Y
    Tracked?: Y

Pass Days Used - 1/3
  • rstanford3
    rstanford3 Posts: 3,056 Member
    Options
    yes x 3
  • Jana_2020
    Jana_2020 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Apr 5 ✅️ ✅️ ✅️
    Sadly I was finding it hard to work 20 minutes of stationary bike riding into my day. But today wasn't too bad. Along the lines of what was suggested in today's opener, I was trying to get 5 minutes done before work in the morning to make it easier at night when I'm tired. When I was working from home I used to do several intervals of a few minutes throughout the day (was usually stair climbing).
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,087 Member
    Options
    Pass Day!

✅ Exercise
    ❌ calories
    ❌ tracked

2️⃣ Pass Days left
  • CarolAnnM2
    CarolAnnM2 Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    DATE: April 5
    EXERCISED: Yes - 4,637 Exercise Steps
    CALORIES: Yes
    TRACKED: Yes
    (0 Pass Days used)
  • tahm42
    tahm42 Posts: 4,781 Member
    Options
    ✅️✅️✅️
    0/3 pass days used
    Walk with the daughter and the dog.
  • jmu1965
    jmu1965 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Cardio with Fabulous 50’s
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes
  • iradi8
    iradi8 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    April 5
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes

1/3 used
  • vgulyash
    vgulyash Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Exercise ✅
    Calories ✅
    Tracked ✅
  • LazyBlondeChef
    Options
    Track: yes
    Calories: yes
    Exercise: yes
    • 20 minute treadmill walk
    • 12 minute Yoga for Beginners

Pass Days: 0

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm pretty irritated with this site and their lack of fixing the problem as this is the third day of super slow response.
  • enlightenme3
    enlightenme3 Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    ✅ Exercise - 1 hour of Jazzercise and neighborhood walk
    ✅ Calories -
    ✅ Tracking -

Closed all of my Apple Watch rings (move, exercise, stand)
    2 Pass days used

Documenting consistency (if there is a P=instead of number its a Pass Day)
    UAC: P-P-3-4-5
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,995 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Track: yes
    Calories: yes
    Exercise: yes
    • 20 minute treadmill walk
    • 12 minute Yoga for Beginners

Pass Days: 0

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm pretty irritated with this site and their lack of fixing the problem as this is the third day of super slow response.

Me too @LazyBlondeChef
    ✅✅✅
  • calvin20874
    calvin20874 Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    4/5
    Exercise: 136 minutes
    Tracking: yes
    Calories: under
    Pass days used: 0
  • Yukizz
    Yukizz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    DATE: April 5
    EXERCISED: Yes (30 min stationary bike)
    CALORIES: Yes (under)
    TRACKED: Yes
    Pass Days used: 1
  • znaoiec
    znaoiec Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes and yes
    Walking, yoga and stretching
  • Caroline_slowandsteady
    Options
    April 5
    Exercise: 20 minutes stretching (my son didn't cooperate with the plan to walk in the afternoon)
    Tracking: Planned the day, tracked the changes
    Calories: It was all good except that I bought my son a cookie when we went out to do errands (and not walk, like I said before) and it was a big cookie so he only ate half of it. So I ate the other half. It was good, but put me over.

Pass day number 3, I think.

Exercise:
    I find that when I get a lot of exercise, I get very hungry, so it is counter productive to losing weight.
    However, a small amount of exercise helps with weight loss in that I have more calories available to eat so I don't get as bored with food. It also helps with generally feeling good. My three kinds of exercise are:
    - MommaStrong - a great program for functional fitness, especially focused on people who have been pregnant and bringing the body back from that. They make a daily 15 minute workout that I try to do most days. I do find it to be a headache trigger sometimes, and I've been struggling with a headache for the last little bit of time, so I haven't done it for 10 days or so. I do that in the morning.
    - Walking - I try to go for a walk outside every day. Just 20 minutes or so at minimum - around the block. I work from home mostly and I find it's really important for my mental health to get out of the house. I fit that into my work schedule during the workday.
    - Stretching - I have a 20 minute stretching routine that incorporates some MommaStrong stretches and some PT stretches and really helps keep my body feeling OK. My new thing is that I do in the morning while my son is getting dressed. I also sometimes do it in the evening. I've been doing a lot of stretching the last few days while dealing with the headache and it has been helping.