Living The Lifestyle Thursday 4/20/2023

Options
imastar2
imastar2 Posts: 6,022 Member
This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – Flintwinch (Tim) ?
Wednesday - misterhub (Greg)
Thursday -imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: Spring is here. ( At least in the south) After the pollen has finished pollinating everything do you take advantage of the Spring weather and do you tend to eat more or less? or does it not effect you either way.

Replies

• imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,022 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I love spring time. I love all the seasons except the older I've become I'm not as fond of winter as I used to be. I enjoy spring time foods which tend to more on the light side like fresh vegetables and less of the heavy carbs etc;. This spring is a little bit different than any in my past life. Around this time last year my bladder quit working and I have a full time catheter. I've spent the better time of this past year adjusting my life dealing with this issue. I've made progress so that I can now get out and do some walking and other normal chores which have been on he difficult side. I deal with having it changed every 3 weeks at my urologist office and I can't explain what a thrill that is. My attitude is I'm moving along pretty normal now and pretty excited about getting on with life with a new normal. :)
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Spring keeps threatening to arrive here, and so we've had some beautiful spring days, but the overnight temperatures are still dipping into the 30's and 40's. I haven't put my winter running gear away.

There are certainly adjustments in food as spring hits. More grilling, for sure, and I love sitting outside and having a beer out on the patio. I'm not sure the absolute quantity of food changes, but as you said Derrick, the types of food may shift.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,490 Member
    Options
    Here in south FL spring usually brings thunderstorms, the only thing that deters me from my walk. May have to adjust my intake a bit.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,301 Member
    Options
    Spring is my favorite season. I walk more outside. Not sure it affects my eating habits.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I happened to be learning a Jewish text this morning, and came across this passage:

On hot days the digestive system is weakened by the heat, and therefore you ought to eat less during on hot days than on cold ones. Expert physicians have estimated that during the summer you should eat two-thirds of what you eat during the winter. (Kitzur Shulchan Aruch 32:5, written by Shlomo ben Joseph Ganzfried sometime in the mid-1800's)

I just thought it was interesting that there were recommendations like this back then, and that this happened to come up at the same time that this thread came up.
  • ClayandRocks
    ClayandRocks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It's been a cold and rainy spring here (normal). A spell of warm weather next week, so I will be doing as much as I can in the garden. I feel spring does lead me to more activity and a lower drive to overeat. There is a food cart area about a mile and a half away, which I will once again consider walking to for lunch occasionally, on days when there is no threat of getting soaked or chilled.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I’m more inclined to grill once the weather warms up (four times in '23 so far). Of course, that’s as likely to be hamburgers or hot dogs or sausage as it is chicken, so it doesn’t necessarily mean I’m eating healthier. Regardless of the season, my choices remain “point-bound”, so iguess there’s not a lot of change.

I am a bit more active outdoors, so that’s a positive. 👍🏻