Living The Lifestyle - Monday 4/24/23 Early Edition

Options
crewahl
crewahl Posts: 3,982 Member
This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – Flintwinch (Tim) ?
Wednesday - misterhub (Greg)
Thursday -imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: Value

Has your weight management effort changed how you think about “value” in food? Value may be defined, I suppose, in calories, points, dollars or impact.

Replies

• crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    From an economic perspective, I just can’t pay $5/lb for strawberries when I can buy bananas for 50 cents a pound.

I’ll buy Halo Top ice cream because it’s worth 11 points a pint, but Ben & Jerry's isn’t worth 60 points for a pint.

I bought eggs as needed even as the price went up, because, well, ya gotta have eggs.

The reason for this topic? Beer. I prefer to limit myself to twelve ounces, but most of the beers I like come in sixteen ounce cans. I’ve lately come to accept that it’s okay to buy a sixteen ounce can, even if I only drink twelve ounces, because I get enough pleasure from those twelve ounces to justify the whole can. (And I save two points by doing that!)
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,125 Member
    Options
    That was part of my problem. 4 16's weren't enough, but 8 were too many. 2 years, 5 months!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,490 Member
    Options
    Value as in money. Unfortunately DW likes Costco. She also likes coupons. I would never mess with any of that on my own. I will pay more for something I want in what I think is a manageable portion. My program trumps my wallet.

Value as in something else. I think of food in terms of satisfaction. Tasty enough, filling enough, nutritious enough. Also treaty enough when I seem to need that. Actually that may be the hierarchy right there. Constant tension tasty v filling. Nutrition seems to be more on my mind lately.
  • ClayandRocks
    ClayandRocks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    When I think about actual monetary cost of food, it has nothing to do with weight control, only about being able to afford other things.

I do often consider whether the amount of pleasure is worth the points/ calories. In line with 88olds thinking about satisfaction. "If I have this I won't be able to have that, which do I think I will enjoy more?" Or more likely, "If I eat this, it will be nothing but vegetables for the rest of the day -- can I handle that?"
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,022 Member
    Options
    The older I get the less I turn to void that I'm tied of. DW and I both think pretty much alike when it comes to value versus the food choices. Certain foods become unappealing after so many years. Like the strawberries Charlie was referring to I could buy a whole large fresh pineapple for $2.82 versus @ Sam's Club versus a box of strawberries for $ 6.99. Same principle as Charlie mentioned.

Moving off the food and value on to cravings or what do I really want to eat because simply I want it for the taste. I guess what I'm trying to say is we splurge if we want to on what we want and stick to our main stay foods that we don't get tired of.