Gluten Free flours, etc. are higher in calories

Options
RBnorth66
RBnorth66 Posts: 85 Member
I have been unable to lose weight since my diagnosis last March. I find that the GF products are even higher in calories than regular breads, cakes, etc. There doesn't seem to be a low-cal option other than just never eating baked goods or crackers. Are there others out there who have Celiac? What do you do?

Replies

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I don't have Celiac, but I have a wheat allergy. I just don't eat bread or crackers or things like that. They are way too expensive and the texture is usually really off, especially the bread. I can live without it.
  • DecryingShame
    DecryingShame Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I use corn tortillas wherever I can, like in melted cheese and tuna sandwiches. They are a bit tricky because you have to heat them to keep them together but they are lower calorie than bread: 50 calories per tortilla.
  • ToadstoolBetty
    ToadstoolBetty Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Start over and don't buy too many or any of the baked items.
    If you want to have bread for an odd sandwich or toast,that's ok but just be mindful of how many slices your eating and what you're adding to it.

Get yourself fresh vegetables and fruit.
    Forget all procced meats etc they are full of horrible stuff.
    Try to make all your meals from scratch and don't add to many shop pre paired products,they full of unnecessary things too.
    Read the labels for everything you buy to double check it doesn't have a hidden ingredient.
    We became ill from modified starches too.
    I have to check the labels for it.
    The for some vinegars.

Basically like I first said,start over .
    Finish the stuff you have left(nothing worse than throwing out food that not gone bad) and just start over.
    Try out some recipes.
    If you avoid the baked stuff to your best ability you're most likely to start losing some weight.