Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #1: INFORMATION and YOUR INPUT! ℹ️🔠

Options
2»

Replies

• 1AncientSage
    1AncientSage Posts: 1,750 Member
    Options
    Ceriusly1 wrote: »
    😊Your FIRST Countdown Activity for this Challenge will be for YOU to decide where YOU would like to go on YOUR Seasonal 5% Journey. Everyone's reason for joining this Challenge is different. We would like you to dig down deep to share what your motivation is for coming here. We would like you to share what brings you here, and even more importantly - what keeps you coming back! Perhaps there are things that you would like to get out of your personal 5% Journey that we haven't discussed and/or researched. Why don't you write down some of YOUR ideas ~ we might even be able to incorporate some of those things in this or future Challenges!😊

✍️Feel free to add your comments to this thread outlining your exercise plan for a successful 2023 Spring 5% Challenge (if you blog, you may add the link to your blog here or you may simply wish to copy/paste your writing here - or do both!), but please consider sharing!!

I would be as big as a house without this challenge! I was fortunate to be invited to the very first 5% challenge way back in the Spring of 2010. I lost weight and made friends. I felt great!

My life has been like a teeter-totter with its ups and downs and a merry-go-round with all the cycles I've gone through. After 4 seasons with the challenge, I hit a plateau and thought oh well, what's the use? I was ready to give up yet again, but I had volunteered to lead a Spark team from my area of PA so I felt obligated to follow through with that but my heart wasn't in it. There were no members that posted regularly so I felt my time was wasted. I thought I wasn't cut out for leadership but someone thought I could do something and asked me to help lead the Teddy Bear team. All I had to do as the Motivational Leader was highlight a member every day. Easy? It was, and I enjoyed it but the main reason I did it was selfish. I've always been able to do for others what I couldn't do for myself. I would be obligated to do it. I take my obligations seriously.

The rest may be history, but I no longer feel obligated. I come back not because I am a leader, although I do love the challenge and what I do as a leader, I come back for every one of you because you support me, you lift me up when I am down. If I have a rough time someone always comes through with a word or an image that makes me smile, or think, or do something different. If I have a negative attitude, someone, ( @diannemt ), lets me know in a loving and gentle way.

We were at Cracker Barrel Sunday and I found this, on sale for $5.00! How could I not buy it? It's one of my favorite sayings ever! I had it on my Spark Profile for years. It's still in my photos somewhere.
    m4fjb4vyy1ff.jpg

I come back because you all inspire me to make changes that change me.

This #1 activity tells us to dig deep. I decided to heed that call and I am still working on it. The shovel hit on something with a metallic clang to it, so this activity has become integrated with my Spirituality and a wound deep within the real me. I'm going to keep digging.

Ceri (Ceriusly1)

Ceri, I had totally forgotten that I first met you on a PA. team on Spark. I remember it was only you and communicating on that team. Do you remember that?
  • 1AncientSage
    1AncientSage Posts: 1,750 Member
    Options
    Your FIRST Countdown Activity for this Challenge will be for YOU to decide where YOU would like to go on YOUR Seasonal 5% Journey. Everyone's reason for joining this Challenge is different. We would like you to dig down deep to share what your motivation is for coming here. We would like you to share what brings you here, and even more importantly - what keeps you coming back! Perhaps there are things that you would like to get out of your personal 5% Journey that we haven't discussed and/or researched. Why don't you write down some of YOUR ideas ~ we might even be able to incorporate some of those things in this or future Challenges

Well first I would like to lose my 5%. However, I also like/want the friendship and accountability. I find it easier to keep going with encouragement and I feel accountable to do my best to help my team achieve their goals.

What keeps me coming back is friendships and the encouragement. The challenges and the LTGL are fun
    but the cheering and supporting each other to keep going is what I find inspiring. In short I came back because it helps keep me one track, the challenges are fun and most of all I like the people

keo8y7k61uzi.jpeg
  • micaroo4
    micaroo4 Posts: 3,074 Member
    Options
    😊Your FIRST Countdown Activity for this Challenge will be for YOU to decide where YOU would like to go on YOUR Seasonal 5% Journey. Everyone's reason for joining this Challenge is different. We would like you to dig down deep to share what your motivation is for coming here. We would like you to share what brings you here, and even more importantly - what keeps you coming back! Perhaps there are things that you would like to get out of your personal 5% Journey that we haven't discussed and/or researched. Why don't you write down some of YOUR ideas ~ we might even be able to incorporate some of those things in this or future Challenges!😊

🌷🌷 I've been maintaining my goal weight of 130 since April 2019 (Goal anniversary coming up!) My goal weight range is 127-133, 3 lbs either side of 130. Right now, I am below my goal weight range because of having covid. I need to regain that weight (about 1.5 lbs), but not get that train chugging down the track in the wrong direction, and end up on the high side of my goal range! My normal workout program was suspended altogether because of the covid, so I need to restart my strength training and rebuild my strength. I also need to do more cardio (other than walking) to get my lung capacity back up. For the 2023 Spring 5% Challenge, my regular routine will be to plan my meals ahead for the week, track my food and stay in my range, do ST workouts 3 days/week, walk every day (step goal 13500), do higher intensity cardio on the days when I'm not doing ST, get 8 hours sleep (or at least spend 8 hours in bed), meditate 15 minutes every day, write in my journal every day and of course connect with my team - because accountability and support is the key to success.

-Mica/Mission Slimpossibles
  • Ceriusly1
    Ceriusly1 Posts: 5,755 Member
    Options
    @1AncientSage Mo! I sure do remember! I was so glad when we found each other again on fitbit and then here. You were one of my very first Spark Friends!
  • amyrob117
    amyrob117 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    What brings you here, and even more importantly - what keeps you coming back!
    • I have been looking for community in order to help challenge me to change my mindset and attitude about living a good life. I just went in search of groups that I thought would fit this. This is my first challenge, and it is intimidating because I am not 100% sure what I am supposed to do. I am not used to navigating discussion boards so today is the first time I saw this section of the group. I am going to work hard to keep up and make my team proud.
    Add your comments to this thread outlining your exercise plan for a successful 2023 Spring 5% Challenge.
    • My exercise plan is to basically get up and move in whatever form I can. I have been working a desk job for many years and it has taken a toll on me. My goal is to have a minimum of 200 minutes of exercise per week. I have brought a pair of sneakers to work, so that on my breaks I can simply walk laps around my building complex.

Amy/Rain Dancers
  • lavalily
    lavalily Posts: 2,058 Member
    Options
    I'm another of those refugees from SparkPeople. It took me a while to get accustomed to the differences in MFP, but now I'm happy with it, mostly because of the people here in these challenges. I keep coming back because I have made some friends here (especially ones I've met in person), and although I've been at WW goal weight for over 15 years, I find these challenges are about much more than weight. I'm almost 89 years old, still active in almost every corner of my life, and retired as a college prof just a year ago!
    Outline your exercise plan for a successful 2023 Spring 5% Challenge
    I still work with a trainer at the gym and go in on my own between times with her. Now that I'm retired, I do spend more time at the computer (I'm a published author), and it's too easy to lose track of time. I also had back surgery about four years ago that left me with some nerve damage in my left leg, so I use a walker. I'm trying to regain some strength in that leg so I can continue to live alone and not need assistance. I'm too independent to give up now, so I'll just keep on keepin' on!
  • paceka2
    paceka2 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I am here to motivate myself to get back to where I was 1 1/2 years ago. This past year I have had my second knee replacement surgery, spinal fusion surgery, cataract surgery in both eyes and carpal tunnel surgery. The spine surgery took the most out of me and I was forbidden to do much for the first 3 months, then for the next 3 months I was allowed to exercise but only keeping my back perfectly straight - no twisting. I was happy to be able to do some things but not healed enough to be rid of the pain, which made it hard to want to work out.

I can say that now I am about 85% back to myself with about 8 additional pounds. I want to continue to heal while growing stronger and losing at least that 8 pounds. Both my husband and I have gotten into some bad habits that we are working on breaking. I'm also trying to create more healthy meals for us going forward.

I'm excited to start this process!
  • therealbluenote
    therealbluenote Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    What brings you here, and even more importantly - what keeps you coming back! 😊
    I was asked in April to take my high school chorus to Italy for a performance tour. I said yes, thinking it would never materialize. A month later it materialized! I knew I had to start losing weight. I had success on MFP before, so I came back. I was lost. I stumbled upon this group and joined. I am really glad I did! The accountability, the encouragement, the organization of the group, the new fitness friends - these all help keep me focused and on track. I am so grateful! I have lost 75 pounds since starting. It hasn’t been perfect. It hasn’t been easy. But I’m still here!

Now that Italy is over, I started thinking, uh oh - what’s next? What will motivate me to not quit? I’ve quit so many times before. Then I realized, oh snap I’m starting a new decade in July! My next goal is my 60th birthday this summer. I plan to be down 100 pounds by then. I know I can do it! 💪🏼

✍️ Add your comments to this thread outlining your exercise plan for a successful 2023 Spring 5% Challenge.
    I hate exercising. But this time around I am going to PLAN my exercise weekly. I am going to write (I’m old school, I need to physically write this out! 😆) in my teacher planner my walking times at school and at home. I live by that planner so I’m going to use it to increase my steps to at least 8k a day by my birthday!
  • MidlifeCrisis78
    MidlifeCrisis78 Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    Your FIRST Countdown Activity for this Challenge will be for YOU to decide where YOU would like to go on YOUR Seasonal 5% Journey. Everyone's reason for joining this Challenge is different. We would like you to dig down deep to share what your motivation is for coming here. We would like you to share what brings you here, and even more importantly - what keeps you coming back! Perhaps there are things that you would like to get out of your personal 5% Journey that we haven't discussed and/or researched. Why don't you write down some of YOUR ideas ~ we might even be able to incorporate some of those things in this or future Challenges!😊

Where would I like to go on the Spring journey?
    I'd honestly just like to feel like myself again. Some days I feel like I'm living in a dream, and I no longer know myself. My body feels different, I find myself grasping to recall words that are on the top of my tongue... I feel like a failure in many ways. I'm always tired. Inconsistent. I have terrible night anxiety, I wake up multiple times in a panic, and can't go back to sleep. I'd really just like to feel better. I feel like I'm not really sure
    where to begin with that.

What brings you here and keeps you coming back?
    I have a commitment to the team, which I try to fulfill daily. I need to have the same commitment to myself. That's my main goal this spring. To pick three simple things and do them consistently: tracking, drinking water, and cleaning my space. I think small steps will capitalize into bigger ones, and eventually I'll get back to myself.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    What is my motivation for coming here?

There are several reasons that are motivating me to be here.
    1) I want to continue to be in a place that keeps me accountable.
    2) The encouragement that I see and receive.
    3) My overall health. I don't want to end up like my parents. (On oodles of medication and horrible quality of life.)
    4) I want to be able to continue to travel and hike and have energy to do things.

My exercise plan for a successful 2023 Spring 5% Challenge is....

My goal is to make it to the gym 5 days a week and do heavy weights and cardio. Hopefully, 60-75 minutes each day.
  • bookieNJ
    bookieNJ Posts: 3,704 Member
    Options
    🌷🌷For the 2023 Spring 5% Challenge, I want to get down to my weight at thanksgiving of 170ish. Been fighting the 175-177 all winter. Trying to really increase my water, have less snacks and as close to dash diet as I can
  • marg750me
    marg750me Posts: 2,761 Member
    Options
    I like the accountability, friendship, encouragement and knowing all here are in the same boat healthy living. I’ve been stuck between 170-178 for 3yrs now. My primary says not to worry about it but I want get to 150lbs. I’m going to do my best to reach it by my birthday July 29th. I have all I need to reach so I just have to stick the plan

Add your comments to this thread outlining your exercise plan for a successful 2023 Spring 5% Challenge.
    For now walking Milo 3x's a day, 30min stretching

Rejoining Y Then
    1. walk Milo 2x's a day
    2. Exerswim morning every other Mon, every Wed, Fri
    3. Aqua Zumba morning Tues, Thur
    4. Strength, stretching afternoon Mon-Fri

• Chubbynomore10
    Chubbynomore10 Posts: 990 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

My motivation for coming here was, in the beginning, to find friends with like goals and to lose the extra weight I have been carrying around for too many years. After I got here, added to that motivation was the fun of participating in the Challenges. I think I have sabotaged my weight loss efforts for years, first rocking between 190 and 170 two or three times, then from 170 to 150 and back a couple of times. I think when I lost that 20 pounds and people started noticing, I remembered several close calls I had had that involved strangers when I was younger. Then I had a health scare that made me dead serious about getting the fat off and really pursuing good health, It is a shame that it had to become a matter of life and death to wake me up. I really don't need a motivator now to continue my journey....I will never go back willingly....if, God forbid, I lost my ability to cook for myself or to remain active, then there would be no choice. But, barring that, I plan to finish the journey to my best weight and maintain it for life.
  • Ceriusly1
    Ceriusly1 Posts: 5,755 Member
    Options
    bump up
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

✍️Feel free to add your comments to this thread outlining your exercise plan for a successful 2023 Spring 5% Challenge (if you blog, you may add the link to your blog here or you may simply wish to copy/paste your writing here - or do both!), but please consider sharing!!

I hope I'm putting this info in the right place!! This group has a lot of discussions and announcements going on and it's difficult for me to determine where I'm supposed to be entering information! Lol.

I was very active on MFP up until a year ago, but life crowded in too much and I just couldn't keep up with all of it. We bought a new house and moved about 35 miles away from where we were living. I was also in the process of retiring from my 20 year bank job, so I was training my replacement person at work. I had also started my new part time job teaching massage at a local technical college 3 evenings per week, so I was literally working 3 jobs (1 full time and 2 part time) for about a month! I was still trying to get my new house together, and in the midst of all of that, hubby had a hip replacement! so then I (ALSO) had to mow the grass, find time to cook meals (he's retired so he usually cooks!), and TRY to keep my house clean!! I was still unpacking boxes (as I could find the time), oh, and did I say that one of my 3 jobs is my own business? I'm a LMT (licensed massage therapist) and have had my own (part time) business 2019. Whew!

Now that life has settled down, my 2 part time jobs are my "dream jobs" and I couldn't be happier! But over the last 12 months, I've literally gained almost all of my weight back. MFP has always worked for me in the past - so here I am again! My exercise of choice is walking. Last year I would do an "ice cream walk" - where I would walk 4 miles into town on the bike path to the local grocery store, buy a pint of ice cream, eat it with the spoon that I had brought with me, and then walk the 4 miles back home!!!! At one point about 4 years ago, I was up to walking 12-18 miles, starting very early on a Saturday morning! My knees are bad, so I cannot jog, bicycle, or do stairs, but I can walk!!

In this community, I'd like to try to observe and learn what others do to KEEP THEIR WEIGHT OFF! I've been able to successfully lose weight several times in my life, but for the life of me, I just cannot KEEP IT OFF! Ugh.

(Edited to add that my plan is to get back to my walking!)