How to deal with cptsd

Options
jalipsy
jalipsy Posts: 1 Member
I was diagnosed this past year with cptsd. Everyone always thought I just had major depression with anxiety. Evidently I repressed so much stuff and now it's all coming back and it's crazy. What hints can you all provide to help me cope please? I have a new counselor but she's not trained in EMDR or DBT. Should I get a new one? Good ones are hard to find. Thank you!

Answers

• DecryingShame
    DecryingShame Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You may never see this but for whoever it might help, I'd like to reply. I learned DBT and then started EMDR. I think this is the way to go. DBT helps you gain the skills to cope with the trauma that comes up in EMDR.

Both are very helpful, however if you have a good therapist who is helping you, that is so important. I personally think DBT is best learned in a group environment and would suggest adding a support group rather than changing therapists to learn the DBT skills.

I started EMDR after talk therapy had done all it could for me so again, I feel like if you have a good therapist who is helping, stick with that as long as it still works for you. When you get to the point that you've talked out everything you can, it's time to move into EMDR or other therapies that can help dig deeper into your trauma.

Also, it's really important to get a really good EMDR therapist. A lot aren't great and done badly, EMDR can cause more harm than good. Don't do EMDR with a therapist who is rushing things and doesn't take time to make sure you have a good foundation of coping with anxiety. Make sure you feel comfortable with your therapist's personality. EMDR is intense and you really need the best circumstances so you will benefit from it the most.