What can be done along side the c25k?

Options
I'm trying to lose 100+ lbs. I know you're only supposed to be doing the c25k 3x a week and resting the other days, but is there anything else that you can in addition to the c25k either on the same days as the plan or the "rest" days that wouldn't be too strenuous? Should I be doing something like strength training? If so, how often? I feel like I'm not doing enough even though I'm definitely going have to repeat week 1 of the c25k plan because I'm so out of shape. I was working out 4-5x a week for the last few months, but wasn't really losing weight. Maybe a lb or so, but that could just be normal fluctuating weight. I switched to this after seeing posts lately from one of my nieces about her getting back into running and it made me want to try again. This has been so much harder. Definitely have been working up a sweat with this and making me feel achy. Just gotta keep at it. Anyway, back to my questions. Should I be doing other exercises or is it at least okay to do so? Should it be something like strength training since c25k is more aerobic/cardio? Also, if I do do other stuff, should I do them on the same days as c25k or on my "rest" days instead? Please help. 🥺 I'm so tired of being around 230lbs while being only 4'11" and losing weight will help with my some of my issues. Sorry for the long post. I'm just really struggling.

Replies

• kirianah760
    kirianah760 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough healthy foods? With 100 lbs to lose, you should be dropping pretty quickly at first. Nutrition is the #1 component to losing weight. What’s your diet like?
  • Jakette3
    Jakette3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think it’s great that you have taken up running. It’s really great for your cardiovascular system!!! I am
    In a similar position (5’2” and need to want to lose 50). I once read you can’t outrun eating habits. So I am working on revisiting my meals and meal prep. I am starting off slowly… cutting down on unnecessary sugar. In addition to eating habits, muscle burns more calories, so yes, on “off” days, weight training to build muscle. I just started body weight training, squats and lunges. It should also help with the running. My goal is also to incorporate yoga- that is a work in progress.
  • Itadakimasu7
    Itadakimasu7 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I was a runner for a long time but took a break due to illness. What I used to do was use the elliptical to train my running muscles without pounding when it wasn't a run day or I needed a break from the trail. I had an elliptical back then at the gym. Currently I have my trusty bicycle. It's hard when you work to fit in training and it kinda blows me up if I try to do too many different exercises. I find it easier to just put one foot in front of the other or pedal. If I try to figure out how to correctly do a dead lift it kinda does in my brain. (I'm probably just the laziest exerciser in the world actually ;-P ) I used a Youtube fitness routine from HasFit for awhile, they're very good and Yoga with Sean Vigue. Good luck, consistency is your friend, it will get you there.

• KyleCrane933
    KyleCrane933 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Like others have said running is great but if no ready can be hard on you.. one poster said you can't put run your diet.. this is true.
    My recommendation elliptical.. walking and counting paces.
    Use the food log and find that less than ideal food that is kicking your daily macros past the recommendation. And see if you can manipulate the portions to keep you in goal.
    If you have masters your nutrition and are just moderatly active you will see the weight start to drop.
    Go to the doc and get blood work done to find anything you missed in your nutrition. Get it rechecked till you have masters your micro nutrition.
    Honestly I hate to say refrain from hard running till you drop at least 20 to 30 to save your knees later in life.. but do be active and find activities you like.
    For the rainy days being from Florida before that is every day.. get a shoe or boot drier. They work wonders.
    Walk the beach nature trails.. bicycle. Swimhit the swapmeetand fle markets and walk and get fresh veggies.. refrain front he cuban and taco truck though as they will defeat the unconscious exercise you are getting by being outside.

Again baby steps stay healthy get your macro nutrition in align. Follow up with blood work to see everything is in align.. And work up to a run.. however running is not the only exercise one can do to burn calories.
  • DavidK_CO
    DavidK_CO Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do a couple days of strength training alongside my running. It helps to build some muscle to make running easier and to burn a few extra calories throughout the day. As with running, start slow and listen to your body.

Multi-joint exercises (bench press, rows, squats, etc.) give me more bang for the buck time wise. My shoulders say "No!" to any kind of overhead press.

Stay away from weight that is too heavy. Look for a weight you can do 10-12 repetitions with.