Any One Here Familiar with Kettlebells?

Options
I used them in a haphazard kind of way about three years ago. I'm planning on making them a significant part of my fitness routine now. I have three weights, 5/10/15, which is probably as much as a 102 pound little old lady should be flinging around. I downloaded a Kindle book that seems to have a lot of good information about proper form; improper form was part of the "haphazard" usage that didn't go so pretty good last time. I've found some You Tube videos that I'll audition.

Any suggestions, caveats or dire warnings will be appreciated.

Replies

• CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Hi! I love my kettlebells. Have the from 5 to 35lbs. You are smart to be focused on form. I had a personal trainer who taught me the right form and when I found a “beginner” kettlebell routine on YouTube by FitnessBlender. I loved it but big BUT here - I knew where to modify the form where I think the instructor was off. It’s only 30 minutes but was full body and I got great results.

I’m forgetting her name - I think it’s Heather - no Hannah Eden. She has a beginner kb instructional video on YouTube that great and thorough.
  • mandycat_florida
    mandycat_florida Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    CeeBeeSlim: I found a Hannah Eden's beginner kettlebell video. I'll give that a try before moving on to those videos of her looking like a tiger with an attitude. Those intimidated me without even opening them up. Thanks for the tip!!
  • mandycat_florida
    mandycat_florida Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    CeeBeeSlim: Just one more comment about KB's and then I'll devote myself to actually using them instead of talking about them.

I bumbled across a trainer named Steve Cotter, who appears to be The KettleBell King. I ordered from amazon his Encyclopedia of Kettlebell Lifting, a set of five CD's. He is nothing if not thorough. I've just finished listening to 20 minutes of his introduction and all he's covered so far was safety and general rules. Some of them I would never have thought about: don't wear shoes unless it's necessary and then only flat bottomed shoes without an elevated heel; don't wear lifting gloves or a lifting belt; be very careful of hand calluses; don't look at bright lights indoors or towards the sun outside; don't work out in front of a mirror. He reminded us not to drop a kettlebell on our feet; I had already figured THAT one out on my own.

The entire set was just under $26, which may seem more than you want to pay since you're farther down the road than I. But there are more than 15 different workout plans as well as detailed descriptions of all the individual exercises. It's a LOTTA information. Note that Steve's presentation style lacks a certain zip; think of it as boring stuff that keeps us from ending up in traction.
  • k8richly
    k8richly Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells are great!
    Meanwhile, this Steve guy sounds boring. My main takeaway on form is control, conteol, control - whether you are lifting it or swinging it, its all about a firm core and control. You swing the KB, don't let it swing you! (Even if you only weigh 102lbs!)

Send an action pic @mandycat_florida !!!