Spring into a New You (May 2023 Challenge)

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
Spring is a time of new beginnings. What better time to take that first step to better health? Summer is around the corner! Let's get ready. So this month pick one habit you want to change (or more if you are feeling extra adventurous) for this month whether it be for your WOE, fitness, or mental health. Got the activity down but feel like you can still improve? Spring into action to tackle that area.

As you know, my challenges are always roll-your-own so feel free to tailor it to you. If you just want plain ol' unfancy support and accountability, we're here for you.

Let's get this!

Replies

• huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm Amanda.
    - almost 50yrs old from New England
    - shortie 4'11"
    - CW = 122.6
    - 6/12/23 GW = 116

I can really use this Challenge, to achieve my 1st goal by mid-June.
    Going to see family in CA, and would like to drop a bunch of the covid weight.

I started on 4/23/23 on low carb, because my body is REALLY addicted to carbs.
    Not eating a lot of starches helps keep the hunger/cravings away.

Since 2/10/23, when I joined my local group challenge, I've worked-out/some movement everyday for 80days straight. Would like to continue through May.

Walking miles achieved:
    - March = 51
    - April = 61.5
    ==>==> May = 70 miles = Goal

But I also want to increase my weight training also, would like to be able to do 1 pull up again.
    (My max was 8).

Thank you for your support!
    Amanda
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,806 Member
    Options
    My May goals are to stay with keto and IF ...try to get 6 hours of sleep ( foot still not allowing me a good night sleep) ...try to use my home gym 5 days a week for 30 minutes (it has been sitting there collecting dust ) and meal prep once a week with my daughter
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970 my goals are right in line with yours! Although I do aim for 7-8 hours sleep. My added goal is to halt the mindless snacking (even on healthy choices) that crept in the last 10 days. Yesterday in particular my brain was not getting the message I was full. I'm 0 for 31 on that goal but much more aware of it today. I'll take that as a win. Strength class with my trainer yesterday felt great :)
  • LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    waves hello!
    we're thick in the middle of moving & unpacking & setting up our next home - can't wait to get kitchen unpacked and going again - will be moving back into lo-carb eating and bbq grilled meats & veggies... yum! will try to pop in but probably won't be online much until we get settled... glad we do have a place to chat - thank you @baconslave for hosting the challenges!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    I saw my podiatrist this past Monday ...We did x-rays today and my ankle is still broken in 2 places .... He put me in a hard cast ( I have been in a soft cast for awhile ... he said try to stay off of it has much as you can ....elevate it ...this is not the news I wanted to hear ... I was hoping to swim in my pool this summer looks like that want happen :( I am so frustrated to say the least ughhhhhh
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I’m in for May as well even though we are a week in. I’ll continue my cycle synching and want to watch snacking (seems a common area of struggle) and portion sizes. I’ve gained a little weight in the last month but my scale shows I’ve dropped body fat percentage. I’m not sure how much to trust that little liar so I’ll need to get some measurements. I’m heading into a week of staycation but end it with a colonoscopy so I’m hoping to stay on plan rather than eating my face off without the distraction of work. Good luck everyone!
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    CW 170
    Getting about 7 hours sleep/night the first week of May. Activity has been a combo of cardio, strength and yard work for a total of 6 hours since 5/1. Snacking has decreased but I have not done any meal prep. I did make out a vacation menu so now some meal prep has to get done LOL.

Would really love to get out kayaking one night this week, think it will have to be tonight or Friday.
  • taylok23
    Options
    I’ve done alright in snacking this week but portions have not been great. I did carb up on Wednesday and Friday because of my 36 hour fast and scope. But I did realize now that if I want to do a 24 hour fast now and again, I totally can do it. Because of being off work I’ve also had more drinks than I normally would but will get back at it next week. I’ve needed the time to relax and enjoy myself. Keto will also be my focus for about two weeks as my cycle starts next week.
  • LifeChangz
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970 ~ oh no, so sorry to hear you still have 2 breaks, how disappointing.

haha @ lying scales! ours is packed in storage since last year.... just had a w/in @ docs this past week and managed to maintain the last 6 mos while i was off my feet and in a motel... I am hoping for some progress going forward.... and will continue with lo-carb; +/-30g per meal, 3 to 4 meals/day. It is easier for me than keto.... My db was pondering carnivore... I think that's like extreme keto - I just do better with a higher level of carbs and it is hard to switch between keto/lo-carb on my body.... i hate the fatigue/weakness first couple weeks of keto... And tbh, would love a magic wand with all this! lol...
  • ddllmn5
    ddllmn5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone I'm Lynn I'm joining a bit late but am hoping to get some healthy low carb recipes to help me loose weight. I'm willing to put in the work bc I've got a big problem with carbs....I love them wwaayyy too much. If anyone knows some good low carb meal plans I'd really appreciate it. Glad to be part of the group.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    LifeChangz wrote: »
    @Megan_smartiepants1970 ~ oh no, so sorry to hear you still have 2 breaks, how disappointing.

haha @ lying scales! ours is packed in storage since last year.... just had a w/in @ docs this past week and managed to maintain the last 6 mos while i was off my feet and in a motel... I am hoping for some progress going forward.... and will continue with lo-carb; +/-30g per meal, 3 to 4 meals/day. It is easier for me than keto.... My db was pondering carnivore... I think that's like extreme keto - I just do better with a higher level of carbs and it is hard to switch between keto/lo-carb on my body.... i hate the fatigue/weakness first couple weeks of keto... And tbh, would love a magic wand with all this! lol...

Thanks @LifeChangz ... I see my podiatrist tomorrow afternoon ... I have a strange feeling that I will be having a 5th surgery
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    ddllmn5 wrote: »
    Hello everyone I'm Lynn I'm joining a bit late but am hoping to get some healthy low carb recipes to help me loose weight. I'm willing to put in the work bc I've got a big problem with carbs....I love them wwaayyy too much. If anyone knows some good low carb meal plans I'd really appreciate it. Glad to be part of the group.

Welcome aboard .... here is a low carb meal plan from eating well
    https://www.eatingwell.com/category/4298/low-carb-meal-plans/
  • LifeChangz
    edited May 2023
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970 ~ so how did it go?
    ~ awesome ideas resource you posted, thanks!

hubby decided to go lo-carb the other day, shopped some meat and cheese, no bread, brought it home, went to eat, and was like, where's the bread? he did roll-ups but it is such a shift from a carb heavy way of eating... it's all delish, just different. he added pickle spears to the grocery list to roll up in the middle.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    LifeChangz wrote: »
    @Megan_smartiepants1970 ~ so how did it go?
    ~ awesome ideas resource you posted, thanks!

hubby decided to go lo-carb the other day, shopped some meat and cheese, no bread, brought it home, went to eat, and was like, where's the bread? he did roll-ups but it is such a shift from a carb heavy way of eating... it's all delish, just different. he added pickle spears to the grocery list to roll up in the middle.

He called in sick so I see him next month ...You're welcome

That is awesome your hubby decided to go low carb .... I love meat & cheese roll ups with pickle spears .. I also make an italian roll ups with lettuce olives banana peppers and olive oil and vinegar

• tishsmith101
    Options
    Did not get out kayaking yet but boy did we do great on vacation activity! Close to 50 miles of biking and hiking for the week. That allowed me to enjoy a full week of Standard American Diet with no regrets. Today I'm back on low carb and IF. Strength training at lunch then hoping to get started on my veggie garden after work, weather will be perfect.

Megan, so sorry about your foot!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    Did not get out kayaking yet but boy did we do great on vacation activity! Close to 50 miles of biking and hiking for the week. That allowed me to enjoy a full week of Standard American Diet with no regrets. Today I'm back on low carb and IF. Strength training at lunch then hoping to get started on my veggie garden after work, weather will be perfect.

Megan, so sorry about your foot!

Thanks Tish ... I have a feeling I will be having a 5th surgery ...the pain is still unbearable ughhh ..I am soooooo over this darn foot of mine ...
  • taylok23
    Options
    I’m still here doing what I can. The nice weather has made me want to sit outdoors with drinks so I’ve had more alcohol recently than normal. But I am keeping with daily strength training and 4 mile walks so hopefully it has balanced out a bit. It helps that my husband has started to be better about what he is eating. But my snacking at night has been hit or miss and portions haven’t been great at dinner. Sooooo still room for improvement. I’m hoping being consistent about 80% of the time is okay til I buckle down a bit and get over this hump I’ve been on.
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    What a great weekend. Got my veg garden planted Friday, kayaked 3 hours Saturday, 2 hour bike ride Sunday and participated in the Murph Challenge yesterday for the first time yesterday. My activity will be limited this week as the muscle soreness is creeping in. Food was on point with some salads and fish for dinners.