Pre-Challenge Activity #1: INFORMATION and YOUR INPUT! ℹ️🔠

Options
kaliswalker
kaliswalker Posts: 1,248 Member
edited June 2023 in Social Groups
On behalf of the overall leadership team as well as the leaders of our eight individual challenge teams, 👋WELCOME👋 TO THE 💐2023 SUMMER 5% CHALLENGE💐!! We hope that you take some time to read about and take part in the pre-Challenge activities as they are designed to help you get prepared for success.

For the several hundred of us that join the Seasonal 5% Challenges from season to season, we come here because we are looking for friendships, support, structure, continuity. Most of our 5% Challengers have followed us from SparkPeople after they closed their site in the summer of 2021, but with our visibility, we’ve managed to pick up a few new Challengers from the MFP site. No matter how you found us, we are so happy that you did!!

In doing some research to write these activities, an older article was found on the internet that discussed Team Challenges and our own 5% Seasonal 5% Challenge was highlighted. Our own @kaliswalker (Lynn), one of the original founders of the 5% Challenge, was interviewed ~ here is the link to the article. It discusses the importance of teams, but our own 5% Challenge was in the spotlight in this article that was written in 2016: https://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=memberrun_challenges_can_help_you_find_success

When SparkPeople closed, we, the current Overall Leadership Team, realized that without SparkPeople and its team spirit, we (and hundreds of our 5% Challenge friends) would be lost and struggling. We sprang into action and searched for an alternate site where we could continue our journey; our story. Although many sites were considered, MyFitnessPal was ultimately chosen as our 'new home' with the start of the 2021 Fall 5% Challenge.
Bringing the 5% Challenge to MFP was a true labor of love, and with full disclosure was not smooth sailing as we had hoped, but the Overall Challenge Leader Team put their heads down and worked hard to continue. At this point, our Challenges are enjoyable and are doing what they were intended to do ~ to provide a space where you could practice healthy habits and where you could chat with other, like-minded MFP members and where you could chat with and meet a new friend or two!

🗬🤔 Now that you have been provided with a bit of a background of the 5% Challenge, please think about what you need and how you are going to be approaching the Summer 5% Challenge. Will you continue to practice healthy habits that you have already learned and are working for you? Are you looking to begin something entirely new? Are you still trying to identify where you are right now and what you would like to get out of the next 8 weeks? There are no right or wrong answers here as everyone’s healthy lifestyle goals/journey are unique - like we all are. 🤔🗭

📓Your assignment: Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #1: INFORMATION and YOUR INPUT!

😊Your FIRST Countdown Activity for this Challenge will be for YOU to decide where YOU would like to go on YOUR Seasonal 5% Journey. Everyone's reason for joining this Challenge is different. We would like you to dig down deep to share what your motivation is for coming here. We would like you to share what brings you here, and even more importantly - what keeps you coming back! Perhaps there are things that you would like to get out of your personal 5% Journey that we haven't discussed and/or researched. Why don't you write down some of YOUR ideas ~ we might even be able to incorporate some of those things in this or future Challenges!😊

✍️Feel free to add your comments to this thread outlining your exercise plan for a successful 2023 Summer 5% Challenge (if you blog, you may add the link to your blog here or you may simply wish to copy/paste your writing here - or do both!), but please consider sharing!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PLEASE NOTE: The Seasonal 5% Challenge Teams are very active. You will be expected to participate to the best of your ability.

ALL challenge weeks run from Saturday through Friday - you will be expected to record your exercise and Living the Good Life (Healthy Habit) points based on weekly Challenge Themes. You are expected to record these points daily or at least as often as you can during the week but no later than 11:59 pm each Friday (your local time). In addition, you are expected to weigh in one time per week by 11:59 pm every Saturday (your local time). Your individual team leaders and/or team mates will help to answer any and all questions about where to record your points.

🔮Our individual Summer 5% Challenge Teams are currently being set up.

✉️You will be invited to your individual team in time to get to know your team leaders and team mates. Until then, get to know some of the Challengers here that will be participating right along with you.

📢Announcements will be made when invitations to your individual teams are sent. Please visit this team, the 2023 SUMMER 5% COMMUNITY TEAM often as this will be the best source for up-to-date information.

Heidi (hicim705)
Overall Co-Leader, Seasonal 5% Challenges (hosted on MFP)

Replies

• Sableness
    Sableness Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    My exercise tends to lag over the summer; it’s just too hot here in Florida. I’ve recently discovered mall walking. I have a Sparkfriend in South Florida who goes all the time who inspired me. I never shop there so it hadn’t crossed my mind. Question: can someone explain in simple terms the easiest way to post pics on MFP?
  • jeanhickokhaley1
    jeanhickokhaley1 Posts: 3,397 Member
    Options
    Now that the weather has warmed up I aim to get outside everyday and do some gardening. I hope to pick up my walking as well.
  • sunshineyourway
    sunshineyourway Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I enjoy being outdoors more with the warmer temps and Sunshine.
  • gouldsgranite
    gouldsgranite Posts: 3,604 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to the summer challenge to strengthen my exercise routines and track my food intake daily in the food diary. Seasons come and go, the 8 week challenges are key to keeping my healthy goals first and foremost in my life.

• digger61
    digger61 Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Now that the weather has warmed up I aim to do some gardening. I will be doing more hiking this summer and getting more weight training in
  • joywilson383
    joywilson383 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    I plan to walk every day. Now if it gets too hot outside, I will do a walk at home video. I might throw in some swimming 🏊‍♂️ .
  • harvest_fairy
    harvest_fairy Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I plan to add more exercise and water.
  • Dgrodis
    Dgrodis Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Now that school is out I plan on being more active on here.
    my plan is 50 pushups/ 50 squats/ 5min on my bike/plus 10k steps a day.
    Make sure I eat healthy, I am vegetarian but I eat too much junk, plus juicing and smoothies and of course get my water in.
  • Lizmossman
    Lizmossman Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My Goal is to drink more water I am terrible at that, prefer tea. I am going to aim for 2 - 3 litres a day and hope that it becomes a habit. Starting with a target of 1 litre a day in week one.
    My goal is too increase my fitness and strength in 2023, I started Apple Fitness + in December, and been building up top 20 minute classess. So I am going to aim to complete 30 minute HIIT twice a week and weight resistence 3 times a week and staying active in the garden, walking/cycling on the weekends. I have also bought a skipping rope and want to build up my stamina, I can just about do 30 seconds at moment 🤭
    My goal is too follow a Mediteranean diet, avoid ultra processed foods and reduce the carbs I eat using healthy alternatives.
  • therealbluenote
    therealbluenote Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I plan on exercising in my neighborhood pool every other day and increasing my walking!
  • hjlord9292
    hjlord9292 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I plan on utilizing my local gym as well as my neighborhood for outdoor walks. I want to work on eating mindfully while not putting strict diet restrictions on myself.
  • 130StrongerEachYear
    130StrongerEachYear Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You asked about exercise. Early this year my brother announced that he was going to walk the entire Appalachian trail this year beginning in April. I thought I would make it a goal to walk that many miles this year on flat level ground from the comforts at home. I started paying attention to my fitbit steps and found to my surprise that I was averaging between 1200 and 1500 steps a day. Honestly it should not have been a surprise I sit all day in my work and was coming home and sitting all evening. I tried getting to 10,000 steps a day and actually did it a few days and then hurt so much I did not want to walk any more. I knew you do not jump from 1200 daily steps to marathon walking and had tried it anyway only to discover that it is not a good idea to increase your activity too quickly.
    Beginning last month I gave my self a goal of walking at least 4,000 steps a day. I did it all but one day...so time to celebrate. for this month, I am raising the goal by 100 steps a day. This week my goal is to walk at least 4500 steps a day and so far the lowest day has been 5,420. So small goals are working.
    I understand that the goals in the 5% plan is to track minutes of exercise. So beginning today I will be adding some basic exercises and plan to do just one of each. I think that will take me about 5 minutes. That may seem like a small goal for very active exercisers. But when starting out, I am learning to start small and grow slowly. By the time the 5% challenge starts in a month, I hope to be at 10 or 15 minutes a day to start and challenge myself to continue increasing each week for the 8 weeks. That may only get me to 30 minutes a day. I figure if I can go from zero to 30 in 12 weeks I am building a sustainable path that can last me a lifetime.
    Looking forward to the challenge.
  • pmbach1
    pmbach1 Posts: 2,102 Member
    Options
    I am so glad all our leaders got together and provided this space after Spark People closed. It has been a god send for so many myself included. I am in maintenance but need to take off a few gained pounds. I hope to do that this summer 5% challenge.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Plan to up my daily steps to 7500.

Not eating after 1630

Walk dog daily

During july and aug to up swimming to 3 or 4 times per week. More upper body machines at gym.
  • mrsjcw2007
    mrsjcw2007 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My goal is to increase my motivation and stay consistent with strength training. My family is joining the YMCA and I want to also add Pilates to my routine.
  • Sparkuvu
    Sparkuvu Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options
    I've been somewhat off track, and have had some regain as a result. Then, as a result of that (see that pile up happening), I've been back to being pretty hateful to myself. I need to unload this baggage along with the weight that's causing me misery. I'm looking for where ever my motivation went. Considered not rejoining the challenge, as I don't feel very helpful to my team, but I know that has only made things worse in the past.
  • Lessennan
    Lessennan Posts: 2,961 Member
    Options
    For the summer challenge I need to sort out my mindset.
    Stop making life issues my go to reason for failing. Life won’t go away so I need to get real.
    I need to
    Be relaxed enough at bedtime to get 8 hrs sleep
    Refreshed enough each morning to be in control of my eating
    Do real exercise each day not just functional housework tasks for at least one hour

• paceka2
    paceka2 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    It seems I am still recovering from my back surgery last summer because it's still difficult for me to do the simple things I used to do. My main goal is to get up early enough to take my dog for a walk before the heat and humidity roll in. Right now I'm able to walk 1 mile often sitting at least once during the walk. By the end of the Summer Challenge I want to walk 1.5 miles without having to sit at all. I would also like to increase my days at the gym from 2/week to 3/week.