Keto longevity

Options
A_mission_for_me
A_mission_for_me Posts: 19 Member
edited March 2023 in Social Groups
Five years ago I was an active member of this group and very successfully Keto for 8-9 months and reached the best health of my life. For some reason I stopped and I’m now back to my heaviest weight and have recently returned to my Keto ways and determined to stick to it this time but need some encouragement that is possible to stick to this again. So my question is how long have you been Keto? And what are your tricks to sticking too it long term?

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,495 Member
    Options
    Five years ago I was an active member of this group and very successfully Keto for 8-9 months and reached the best health of my life. For some reason I stopped and I’m now back to my heaviest weight and have recently returned to my Keto ways and determined to stick to it this time but need some encouragement that is possible to stick to this again. So my question is how long have you been Keto? And what are your tricks to sticking too it long term?

I have been on keto off and on ...I restarted this time on Feb 26th .... I make sure to meal prep on Sunday's so that I have my meals and won't go off the deep end eating my daughter's stuff ... having a plan is the key to stick with it ...Wishing you much success :)
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I was strict keto 2016-2018 and have been low carb since then with occasional keto months. I do tend to gain and lose the same 5-7 lbs every year. I am down my holiday gain and am still on a losing trend for a change. I use a food scale mostly for meats, I rely on importing keto recipes into the database and have gotten pretty good at menu planning and food shopping so that I need less meal prep. I've had to start buying separate snacks for hubby so that he doesn't eat mine. Feel free to send me a friend request.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I have been keto since 2016. I find the diet suits me, but it is a lifestyle.

FWIW, I stick to basic foods and don't typically eat anything "special." People at work understand that I am a seriously picky eater at this point, and so snack tables will often include cheese squares and broccoli so I will have something.

A biggie for me with compliance is that I cook supper and plan for leftovers at lunch. My wife cooks bacon and eggs (with cheese sometimes) for breakfast. Having one menu and one shopping list helps a lot. If you have to have different meals for members of a family, it is a lot harder.
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I too, have been keto and low carb since about 2016. I had gotten to my heaviest weight, went on high blood pressure meds and saw a pic of myself that didn’t make me feel good about my habits. I lost 30 pounds, went off the meds and have stayed relatively low carb, and mix in some carnivore now and again. My focus now is keeping protein fairly high and carbs in the 50-75g range sometimes going upwards of 100.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I did low carb in 2014-2015 when in my late 50s strictly, managed in that time to lose 11 kg (about 22lbs, shown in my avatar here) but then added back wine... Gained back a bit and maintained until last year, working from home has cut my movement drastically. Gained back now about 10 kg, so am trying to get back into ketosis. Hard to go back to being strict again, sigh. But the extra fat bothers me, gets in the way of yoga and I had to buy bigger jeans, arg. My health markers were ok at a checkup in March, though. Now I am 66 and it seems this body likes the extra fluff. I still mainly eat low carb.
  • ritabrue
    ritabrue Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been eating low carb for 2 years now. I'm down 50 pounds but can't get past my current weight. Been here for 1 year. I meal prep weekly, walk for my excise. Any ideas to get me over this hump and back to loosing weight?
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    ritabrue wrote: »
    Hi, I have been eating low carb for 2 years now. I'm down 50 pounds but can't get past my current weight. Been here for 1 year. I meal prep weekly, walk for my excise. Any ideas to get me over this hump and back to loosing weight?

I say reduce calories to jumpstart things. My maintenance calories are lower than the charts/MFP would claim. Sounds like you are in maintenance.
  • patioq
    patioq Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to make decision to eat to live, vice live to eat.
    A can of tuna, and dukes, is keto, and a full day proteins.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    patioq wrote: »
    Sometimes you have to make decision to eat to live, vice live to eat.
    A can of tuna, and dukes, is keto, and a full day proteins.

Props on the Dukes...