Avoiding blisters

Options
I am trying to train to walk the marathon in December so downloaded my running calendarfrom halhigdon and been able to follow regularly.

However, I have started forming blisters on the balls of my left foot from those long walks (8+ miles). Please I need advice so I can keep my routine and continue long distance walks. Are there any specific shoes or socks to help with the friction?

I also noticed that my right heel shoe is mostly worn out due to pronation maybe? When do I know to replace my shoes?

Answers

• gloriawrightcook
    gloriawrightcook Posts: 4,149 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!!! First off, yay for getting the work done and training for that race! That is so awesome! And gosh yes, shoes and socks, so very important. Have you been fitted for shoes at a running shoe store? Not sure where you are or if you have anything like that available, but that would be my first suggestion, if you haven't done it already. Where I live, we have the most amazing Fleet Feet, and that is who I recommend, but any good running store will be able to help you. Because as you alluded, there are under pronators, over pronators, etc, and so the right fit makes all the difference. If you haven't got a running shoe store any where handy, I believe that some of the running shoe websites (try Brooks shoes to start) may have some guidance on their websites for determining what type of runner you are. Also, trying a few shoes on (if possible) can help you decide if you need more cushion, or not.

Also, consider going up at least a size from your normal shoe size, if you haven't already.

For me, I find that most of my shoes can go about 300 miles or so, some more, some less. I am also a heel striker. I do track the mileage on my shoes, but I also watch the bottoms of my shoes for signs of excess wear. I can also tell because my knees and my hips might start to ache or hurt if they are getting too worn down. Shoe preference is so very different - many people swear by Brooks or New Balance, and I like them too. Others love Hokas - me, not so much. I currently wear Sauconys, sometimes Atras. I think for each of us, it is a matter of trying a few shoes on and finding what fits, what feels good, and trying it out! I A lot of the running stores have 30 day return policies, even if you have worn them a lot - so that you can try them out and get the right shoe for you.

Oh, and socks! So, don't go with socks that are made by the running shoe companies. They specialize in shoes, not socks. Go with a sock by a company that specializes in running socks. Some of the popular ones are Balega, Features, and my favorite, Swiftwick. There are some that are supposed to be blister free, but usually I like a thinner sock. Some have compression, if you like that (I do not). Do NOT wear cotton socks or cotton blend socks, ever, they will cause friction and blisters. Another thing - do you live in a hot humid area? I do, so for my long runs, and even my shorter runs sometimes, I use petroleum jelly all over my feet and toes to help prevent friction. If blisters are preventing you from getting your training in, Compeed makes a good blister pad (you can get them on Amazon).

I love to chat about this kind of stuff, so let me know if you need more info or just want to talk - also, we have a daily check in thread here - we don't usually check in daily, but I do try to check it every couple of days for comments. Please feel free to drop in there and let us know how your training is going! I get so excited talking about races and training and all of the stuff!!! LOL, it is my passion, can you tell???