is anyone else using keto diet for inflammation?

Options
jullie57
jullie57 Posts: 7 Member
I was recently diagnosed with Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR)
I started on prednisone which is a miracle and curse all in one. Has anyone found that inflammation is better on keto? I have been on keto for 7 weeks, lost 4 pounds which is ok considering prednisone messes up metabolism and causes water retention.

Best Answer

• Candue
    Candue Posts: 14 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I started out with an RA diagnosis and then they said I have LUPUS. I have been on keto on and off. When I am on, so much of pain just disappears. I have some GERD and that goes as well. Also, I take hydroxychloroquine, turmeric, vitamins D3, Vitamin K2, Iron with B12, Vit C and some collagen. Sounds like a lot but not really. Some of these are together, one pill. The turmeric while on keto can almost take over for the hydroxychloroquine.

Have you had your vitamins D levels tested? Typically, most autoimmune disorders come with low vitamin D. Some say that is partly the cause fo the disorders.

Answers

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,611 Member
    Options
    My wife notices a significant improvement when she sticks to things. I use it to manage my blood glucose and stay off diabetes meds. I am pretty strict. I don't have the joint issues she does so I don't have any personal experience to share there...
  • Alaplum
    Alaplum Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Yes, I notice a great improvment in inflammation on Keto. I can't speak for everyone but that is one of my main reasons for going Keto.
  • dja060
    dja060 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes! Keto Mediterranean. I fell on this lifestyle and sure felt the inflammation in my joints again (and weight creep back too!). Starting back this week :smile:
  • ForestGryl
    ForestGryl Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Yes! I have been diagnosed with several autoimmune disorders. My levels went down when I went off dairy I can't consume (I have a mild allergy) and gluten (I have celiac in the family). After going keto my levels (and the inflammation associated with them) went to normal levels. My immunologist has told me I need to stay Keto so here I am. I have given a bit on the dairy since it is very difficult without dairy (but do try to minimize) but do maintain gluten free since my family is and it fits well with keto.
  • whitetigerspace
    whitetigerspace Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have ME/CFS and many, many allergies. Very low keto greatly allowed me to essentially stop my allergy medication. It is clear that there is a whole lot of inflammation in my body in general. Keto is specifically recommended for ME/CFS patients.
  • jullie57
    jullie57 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I decided to go off keto on my own decision. It didn't go wellRheumatologist said get back on it!
  • LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 457 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    so, the surprising thing to me has been reading about the tie to inflammation - even allergies with keto. I also was encouraged to go keto for medical reasons - so it's not like it's something I just stumbled across and thought ah ha - let's do that! It's been a learning curve to adjust eating.

@jullie57 ~ what didn't go well for you? the actual keto impact on the body or the eating style?
    Did you see improvements the Rheumatologist thought you would experience? wondering if you will give it another go?

for me, the difficulty with Keto is the big change in food choices - it's not that I don't like the foods - what's not to love, right? It's just so different after doing low fat/low protein in prior years... so I'm used to breads/pastas/desserts, etc - and just seems weird when those go missing... I am looking forward to summer bbq grilling - think it will break up the winter food monotony a bit...
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I am not doing it for inflammation, but I do find that my achy joints don't ache nearly as much doing keto. I don't know if that is because of the keto diet or the weight I lost. Don't get me wrong, my knees still ache at times, but not nearly like they did before I started keto.
  • KetoGammie
    KetoGammie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yep. That’s a big part of mine. Rashes too. I have less cravings and little hunger. Haven’t noticed any improvement in inflammation or rashes but it’s only been a week.