Living the Lifestyle: Wednesday 08/02/2023

Options
misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,283 Member
edited August 2023 in Social Groups
This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – Wildcard
Wednesday-misterhub(Greg)
Thursday -imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: Serving Estimations

Determining a proper serving at home is not that difficult. It often gets neglected, but it's not that hard. We have measuring cups (liquid and dry) and spoons. I still have my WW 1-cup and 1/2-cup servings spoons, and I actually still use them. Most of us have scales. As I said, we often neglect the act of measuring and just eyeball it. Well, maybe that is just me. ;-)

But, when we are out and about, it is not always easy to determine the estimate. Is that a 1/2-cup of hummus, of rice, of refried beans? Or, maybe a 1/4-cup? Or, maybe 1-cup?

Meat is not so difficult to estimate. Although, we might overestimate the size of the palm of our hand when estimating 4-6 ounces. lol

So, how do you do it? How do you estimate points/calories when you're out. Maybe the item is in a database, with a predefined value assigned to that brand's foo items. But, often not. Often, we are left to our own devices.

You going to take your scale with you to Burger King? To Sal's Steakhouse?

I didn't think so.

Replies

• crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    misterhub wrote: »
    You going to take your scale with you to Burger King? To Sal's Steakhouse?

I remember that question coming up on the original message board, and Murple’s response was “I’d rather be fat than crazy!”

I’ve used that line once or twice since. 😊
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    My first approach is to look for the restaurant. Second is to find something representative from another restaurant. Third is SWAG.

If it’s about portion size, for most proteins I default to eight ounces. If they tell me it’s an 18 ounce ribeye, 18 is what I track.

Overall? I rely on the idea that if I make a consistent good-faith estimate, the sums of my errors will balance out over time.

(And I tend to do a recalibration of my eyeball once or twice a year - usually before 4th quarter holidays.)
  • ClayandRocks
    ClayandRocks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I try to eat from a selection of relatively standard dishes when I eat out. (I eat out so frequently that I have about two dozen familiar meals.) This way I am guessing about fewer things than I might need to otherwise. In most cases, I will have previously eaten half of one of these meals and taken the other half home to weigh and then put that information in my tracking file.

In less well-informed circumstances, I just assume it is the same as the standard that most resembles it. The other thing is that I rarely order calorie bombs anymore, so less consequence in being wrong.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,009 Member
    Options
    I actually quit measuring and weighing food a pretty long time ago. One reason was that I did it for years and years and pretty much new what a 1/2 cup snd a cup looked like and etc;. Recently I've been doing a mixture of low carb and high protein.