Hi I’m a crazy cat lady bookworm …

Options
4M_7M_M4H3R_4EVA
4M_7M_M4H3R_4EVA Posts: 27 Member
edited August 2023 in Social Groups
Good morning from the UK,

Just thought I’d drop in & say hello!

I’m ASD Autistic & ADHD, recently widowed & became a grandma (Grammy) in July.

I turned my husband’s WFH office into my reading room, it’s bright & airy, & it’s a comforting space because Andy used to spend so much time in there when he was working, so I feel a connection to him when I sit down to read in there.

Due to my sensory issues I tend to read eBooks, so I have Kindle downloaded on my iPad Pro, my phone & the iMac - I cannot hold books, the sensation of the paper is torturous & I’m unable to focus on the text because I’m obsessing bout the feelings of the book in my hands, so my darling hubby introduced me to Kindle about 12 years ago & it was a revelation.

I’m hugely into aviation, nuclear energy & politics, so my book collection has stuff like - Chernobyl: History of a Tragedy; Ghosts of Flight 401; All Four Engines Have Failed; Daughters of China; Growing Up Bin Ladan … I don’t read fiction very often, having said that my current ebook on my iPad is David Hough Prestwick Danger in the Sky Book 1, but it’s an aviation themed novel, so that’s probably why I’m reading!

The physical book I’m reading it - Betty Tottell All Four Engine Have Failed, it’s a book I have wanted to read for a long time, because I have relatives that survived that flight, but it has never been digitised, so I have to read the actual book which is slow progress, because I can only cope with holding the book for about 10 minutes before I get sensory overload & need to put it down, I have just ordered a cook book stand to see if that will help me with this issue.

Anyway happy reading & tracking everyone ❤️

Replies

• Btrflydog
    Btrflydog Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Happy to have you stop by. Good luck with the cookbook stand. If that doesn't help I found a book holder meant to sit in your lap that was made out of soft material for my mother inlaw. It is supposed to be able to hold either a book or a tablet. I found it on Amazon.
  • FitMary202
    FitMary202 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group, @Grammy_Maher! It's lovely to have you. I never thought I'd own or like a Kindle, but I love it. So glad you found what works for you too! Congratulations on becoming a Grammy as well!
    Happy reading!!
  • 4M_7M_M4H3R_4EVA
    Options
    Thank you @Btrflydog & @FitMary202

I was going to add you both as friends, but sadly it isn't an option on my iPad, iPhone & Mac, so please can you add me if you would like to have me on your friend list.

Love T ❤️
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    @Grammy_Maher sent you a friend invite. Look forward to getting to know you.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Catfish_Fan Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hello there, I am Doug. I like to listen to audiobooks along with my kindle, it reinforces my concentration on my reading so I can retain better. I read often but not as much gets read this way as the narrator is at speaking speed and we can read much faster than that. But I like my way best.

It's nice to meet you. I'll try to send a friend request too, always looking for more bookish friends.
  • 4M_7M_M4H3R_4EVA
    Options
    Hello there, I am Doug. I like to listen to audiobooks along with my kindle, it reinforces my concentration on my reading so I can retain better. I read often but not as much gets read this way as the narrator is at speaking speed and we can read much faster than that. But I like my way best.

It's nice to meet you. I'll try to send a friend request too, always looking for more bookish friends.

I love to have someone read to me, but I couldn't cope with Audible because of my sensory issues I found a lot of the narrator's voices intolerable, but if I'm at my daughter's I often get Alex to read to me, because the voice seems to soothe Amelia, & she seems to have the right pitch & pace for my ADHD brain to cope with. I have all Apple in my home & sadly SIRI's narration is dreadful 😂

What sort of books do you like to read? I'm an aviation geek, so anything about flying machines & I also have a fascination with nuclear energy, I also like political history books - The Four Daughters of China was hard reading, but eye-opening.

I got your friend request today, so thank you Doug, I'm Tee (Theresa).
  • Catfish_Fan
    Catfish_Fan Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    According to Goodreads, these are my favorite genres (in alphabetical order, not preference order):

Adult Fiction, Children's, Classics, Contemporary, Crime, Fantasy, Fiction, Historical fiction, History, Horror, Mystery, Paranormal, Romance, Science, Science fiction, Suspense, Thriller, and Young-adult

That covers a lot of fiction categories, but they left off Westerns. I mostly read fiction for enjoyment, but rarely a non-fiction title to learn.
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    According to Goodreads, these are my favorite genres (in alphabetical order, not preference order):

Adult Fiction, Children's, Classics, Contemporary, Crime, Fantasy, Fiction, Historical fiction, History, Horror, Mystery, Paranormal, Romance, Science, Science fiction, Suspense, Thriller, and Young-adult

That covers a lot of fiction categories, but they left off Westerns. I mostly read fiction for enjoyment, but rarely a non-fiction title to learn.

So you made me curious to see what Goodreads says my favorites categories are. They have mine as:
    Fantasy, Fiction, Historical Fiction, History, Horror, Humor and Comedy, Mystery, Science Fiction, Thriller, and Young Adult.

If I'm really lucky I find a book that incorporates several of these categories. For example, Horns by Joe Hill is considered Horror, but there were a couple places where it was fall off my chair laughing funny.

• LadyCalico2
    LadyCalico2 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Pleased to meet another crazy cat lady bookworm.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Going to have to investigate Goodreads just for giggles to see what it says. Probably memoirs, historical fiction, and classics. At least that's my prediction...
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Ah, turns out this is what I've got for favorite genres on Goodreads: Adult Fiction. Art. Biography. Book Club. Classics. Fiction. Historical Fiction. History. Literary Fiction. Memoir. Nonfiction. War. With the exception of Book Club, it all lines up.