Options
Ceriusly1
Ceriusly1 Posts: 5,740 Member
MFP response
Inbox

Lucy Jones
Wed, Aug 23, 9:39 PM (13 hours ago)
to me

I tried to send this through MFP twice but it never seemed to go! So I thought I'd send it this way for you - and it is to be shared with the team.
I'm not on Maui island with Lahaina that burned. SUCH a tragedy!! We will grieve for a long time! I'm on the "Big Island" of Hawaii. We've had several small fires, but nothing with the devastation of Maui.

I went to the hospital on July 31 for 3 days, went home, and 4 days later was back in the hospital. this time for a longer stay, as you can see. It seems all my systems shut down so it was touch and go for a few days. At one point, I told God it was okay if I left this planet, but evidently, overnight, God decided I had a few more things left to do here.

The next morning I woke up with a determination to finish whatever tasks I had left here on Earth, and from that moment, I steadily improved to the point where they allowed me to go home. I said I'd like to go to rehab because my legs and whole body were still too weak to navigate on their own and since I live alone, I thought I needed the extra time.

The only rehab available was Kona Life Care (basically a nursing home but also with a rehab unit). I couldn't believe how bad it was. I was given a hard, single bed that was sort of tucked into the corner of a larger room - not a real "room" at all. AND it was in an area with all dementia patients! If I had stayed, it would have probably killed me with depression. I told them I wouldn't stay there, and all they could do was say, "But honey (in that tone reserved for old people who have dementia) look at the pretty view. Isn't it a pretty view?" They saw my age of 89 and decided I must surely have some form of dementia. They didn't know ME!!!

I called three people and figured the first of the three to call me would take me home. Since I wasn't there under doctor's orders, but voluntarily, I could do that. So a friend said to her husband, "Let's go break Lucy out of nursing home jail." LOL So they took me home, got me settled, and that was that.

Yes, I'm still weak and yes, I still need physical therapy, but my physical therapist will come to the house and take care of me. Various members of the church are coming to just sit here at my house, to be here if I need any help.

The bottom line is that I was malnourished, and they gave me a diagnosis of "pancreatitis," although those numbers are normal, and the doctor said I probably didn't have pancreatitis at this point. There are still two consultations outside of the hospital that need to be taken care of - urology and gastroenterology. If there is any other issue, it would probably be urology for me, but not a single thing showed up in any other area, even with the most advanced technological testing.

I am abnormally healthy, but "ya still gotta eat, ya know?" I had lost all appetite, nothing looked good or appealed to me whatever, so I had quit eating. For those of you who think you want to lose weight, be sure to keep eating a good wholesome diet. I hadn't intended to starve myself, and I didn't even need to lose weight, as I was lower than my original WW goal. Eat, eat, eat - and stay healthy!

It's a long note but needed to be said for the members of all the teams I've been on. Eat, eat, eat - and stay healthy! I will rejoin our team for the fall challenge. Put my name on the list and I'll be back!!

Gratefully alive,

Lucy

~ ~ ~
Lucy L. Jones, Ph.D., LLC
Books & Profile
Author Page
Blog
lucyleejones.com
District 14 ACS Branch Chief

Let yourself be silently drawn

by the pull of what you really love.

~ Rumi

Replies

• Ceriusly1
    Ceriusly1 Posts: 5,740 Member
    Options
    Dear Lucy! I am so glad to hear from you! I know a lot of challenge members are concerned and praying for you and you are truly missed!

There is always a space for you on this challenge and we are looking forward to having you back for the Fall Challenge!
  • Kurtize
    Kurtize Posts: 5,679 Member
    Options
    Dear Lucy, hugs and prayers.
  • DNjoys
    DNjoys Posts: 7,433 Member
    Options
    Sending prayers for a full recovery and regained stamina.
  • Catwmncat
    Catwmncat Posts: 6,936 Member
    Options
    Lucy you are one remarkable woman! Indeed your work is not yet done here on this Earth. Your reminder to all of us to Eat Healthy even when nothing looks good or appealing is a very good and important one which will surely resonate with some. Hopefully it will give them the motivation and courage to continue eating to maintain their health. Wishing you the best while you continue to recover and gain strength.
  • cormierannie
    cormierannie Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    sending lots of hugs and prayers your way, Lucy.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 12,260 Member
    Options
    HI, Lucy hon!! We have been very worried about you. Glad you were not affected by the fire on Maui. Still, you've been through so much. It's strange how we age we can lose our need to eat. I've seen it many times (I live in a 55-plus high rise). Same with drinking water, we lose the ability to tell we are thirsty and hungry. Just a small bit of nutritional food throughout the day it will all add up.

TY TY TY TY for writing Lucy!! We are delighted you have a strong system of help, we'd not doubt that!! You are a lively, interesting person many enjoy. Please take care!!
  • Musicfanno173
    Musicfanno173 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Hi Lucy! I'm so happy to hear from you! Happy to have you back with us healthy!
    God certainly does have plans for us all even if we don't know what those are. All will be revealed in His good time.
    Certainly happy you have such caring and loving friends.
    Blessings to you. Hugs.
    Jules
  • Learningmoments
    Learningmoments Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Hi Lucy, I am new here but look forward to your return. You are a very inspiring lady. Thanks for the good advice. You are amazing. Keep getting stronger and healthy. Our prayers are with you.
  • jeanhickokhaley1
    jeanhickokhaley1 Posts: 3,356 Member
    Options
    Lucy, I was also worried about where you lived. Sorry to hear about your medical situation. God will get you through this. You have wonderful friends!
  • Sp33dy143
    Sp33dy143 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Sending healing vibes and many thanks to your wonderful friends who've rallied and "broke you out Lucy" I've seen, having cared for an elderly neighbor and my mom, how food can be literately hard to swallow. Suggestion for those who deal with the dilemma... offer very small portions throughout the day and always include something that they love to eat, even if it's ice cream. Glad you are planning on joining in this Fall.
  • katiecondy1
    katiecondy1 Posts: 3,341 Member
    Options
    What an adventure..So glad you had buddies to break you out of "old folks jail"!!
    I understand the lack of appitite and nothing looks or sounds good.. I lived on Frozen chicken pot pies ..meat..veggies and starch..for some time. Find something that you can tolerate and eat it no matter what. Hopefully some appitite will return.
    Take care and take it easy!!