Living The Lifestyle Thursday 8/24/23

Options
imastar2
imastar2 Posts: 6,009 Member
This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – Wildcard
Wednesday-misterhub(Greg)
Thursday -imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: Fasting / Intermittent Fasting. Notwithstanding Religious Fasting. Is Fasting or Intermittent Fasting something that you have an interest in or have participated in the past.?

Fasting or Intermittent fasting is a topic of much discussion in many articles. Comments regarding your thoughts or experience with it.

Replies

• Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,095 Member
    Options
    The only fasting I do, now, is for some medical tests.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,009 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I've not been a big participant in the art of fasting throughout my life and eating. I'm not against or don't necessarily have an argument with it.

My mentality on this subject is interrupted by the meer thought of intentionally missing a meal and the proability of doubling down on the next meal. Shakespeare quote " To thine ownself be true" comes to mind as a term that reminds me to listen to my own body.

Sometimes due to my life schedule and I use that term rather loosely because of my history with obesity I try to have meals as a high priory in most of my days. Priority is not only timing but sustenance as well. I have an aversion when busy on a project to put off a meal or delay it. This is a fairly serious issue for me in that I push it too far sometimes. There are days that I may only eat 2 meals. Yesterday was one of those days. I ate a late breafast then got tied up due to a doctor appointment and wound up eating lunch dinner around 5:00-5:30. I did eat a couple of pieces of toast and jam around 8:30 pm.

I've know people who do it regularly with success. I have no issue with it except I just don't believe it's for me.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I regularly fast between 10 PM and 8 AM. 😉

Honestly, anything that imposes an external boundary on my choices leads me down the path of rebellion. Tell me I can’t snack after dinner? Hah - I’ll show you snacking!

Doesn’t have to be rational; it’s just how I tend to react. It makes the boundaries of fasting a non-starter for me. 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,485 Member
    Options
    Medical tests only. And I cry like a baby.
  • ClayandRocks
    ClayandRocks Posts: 69 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I tend to regularly go 16 hrs without eating. But this is not really due to an intent to do intermittent fasting. I don't have much of an appetite in the morning, some days my first meal is at 2pm. (Although some mornings I wake up starving, in which case I eat a small portion of something satisfying.) And because I have issues with reflux, I avoid eating later than 9 pm.

And I'll add that this does not seem to help nor harm weight management -- I can squeeze a lot of food into 8 hrs if I don't watch out.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,283 Member
    Options
    I refer you to my August Intermittent Fasting thread.