Pre-Challenge Activity #2: SET SOME GOALS!

Options
kaliswalker
kaliswalker Posts: 1,196 Member
edited September 2023 in Social Groups
fgx0qz1syq73.png

Plan your 5% Journey by SETTING GOALS. Our previous activity discussed why you are here and what you would like to get out of your 5% Challenge Journey. Please consider your thoughts about that first activity and expand upon those thoughts. Please think about this carefully, it may be the most important plan that you will make for the entire challenge. There are several hundred MFP members who have joined the 5% Challenge and every one of them has a unique reason for wanting to 'become healthy'. Don't look at it as losing weight, although for many, that is the ultimate goal. Think of this as a chapter in your life leading you from where you are now to where you want to be. Think of how you feel today ... think of how you want to look and feel tomorrow. Make a plan, a realistic plan that will help you get to your goal.

You won't be able to visualize what YOUR tomorrow looks like without having a plan in place. Think of your overall plan, then set some goals ~ small measurable goals to help you to. Set goals for small, specific tasks that will give you a sense of accomplishment and will help to motivate you to keep moving forward.

MFP is a site designed toward a healthy lifestyle, so you have already taken one important step in your personal healthy lifestyle journey. Yet, a healthy lifestyle is much more than what you eat or how much you exercise.

Try to think about achieving balance in your life which is necessary to have a healthy lifestyle.

~ Set a specific goal (or goals). Do you want to fit into an outfit that you haven't been able to wear in some time? Do you want to walk around the block effortlessly? Do you want to be able to bend over to tie your shoes? Remember - this is YOUR goal ... YOUR journey ~ give your goal(s) some thought.

~ Once you've decided on your goal(s), give yourself a timeline. For this purpose - you already have a timeline ... the 5% Challenge ~ commit to it! A seasonal challenge lasts 8 weeks. Each week consists of 7 days. 7 days X 8 weeks = 56 days. 56 days from beginning to end. What can YOU accomplish in 56 days?

~ WHY? Ask yourself this simple, but VERY important question. WHY are you doing this? Give this simple question some serious thought. There is no right or wrong answer to YOUR why, but be honest with the answer.

~ EXERCISE? Make an appointment to do it and put it in whatever calendar you use. Treat it as a doctor's appointment or an appointment to have your hair done. Create this appointment and stick to it ~ make it a priority. Consider a 30-minute workout at lunch time, 3 days/week or you might want to work out for 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes after work. Whatever time you have carved out for this 'self care' ~ keep this important appointment with yourself.

~ NUTRITION? How will you nourish your body? You can Google anything/everything having to do with weight loss and you will come up with a list of do this and/or don't do that. The list is sure to include: Paleo, Atkins, Keto, Intermittent Fasting and everything in between. Most nutrition-based articles agree: nutrient-dense and well-balanced meals are what you should strive for.

📓Your assignment: Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #2: SET SOME GOALS!

In order for you to make/execute a plan, please also write it down. If you blog, that is an excellent way to record your plan ~ you will also be able to go back to review your writing and reaffirm your commitment to yourself and your healthy lifestyle. To blog on MFP, please visit and join: ✍️🖊️📓💻 Seasonal 5% Challenges ~ BLOGGERS!! ✍️🖊️📓💻.

Here is the link: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/143978-️-️-seasonal-5-challenges-bloggers-️-️

Remember to feel proud of each and every day that you 'work your plan', however, if you have a day where you find you stumble, don't dwell on it; pick yourself up; dust yourself off and keep walking toward your goal(s). We can all have a 'whoops day' it what you do the next day that counts. Never make it 2 bad days in a row!

Feel free to add your comments to this thread outlining your goal setting plans for a successful 2023 5% Challenge (if you blog, you may add the link to your blog here or you may simply wish to copy/paste your writing here - or do both!), but please consider sharing!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PLEASE NOTE: The Seasonal 5% Challenge Teams are very active. You will be expected to participate to the best of your ability.

ALL challenge weeks run from Saturday through Friday - you will be expected to record your exercise and Living the Good Life points based on weekly Challenge Themes (Healthy Habits). You are expected to record these points daily or at least as often as you can during the week but no later than 11:59 pm each Friday (your local time). In addition, you are expected to weigh in one time per week by 11:59 pm every Saturday (your local time). Your individual team leaders and/or team mates will help to answer any and all questions about where to record your points.

🔮Our individual 5% Challenge Teams are currently being set up.

✉️You will be invited to your individual team soon, in enough time to get to know your team leaders and team mates. Until then, get to know some of the Challengers that will be participating right along with you.

📢Announcements will be made when invitations to your individual teams are sent. Please visit this team, the 2023 5% COMMUNITY TEAM often as this will be the best source for up-to-date information.

Pre-Challenge Activities (consider reading/participating in one or all of them):

Replies

• Sableness
    Sableness Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Goals:
    PT consistency + 2
    NEE
    tiny goals

I choose not to overwhelm myself with too many goals or long term goals. I do best in small doable increments with tangible results. I reached a tiny goal today. 👏🏼

• Lessennan
    Lessennan Posts: 2,965 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #2: SET SOME GOALS!
    39k8h5klrh6n.jpeg
    My ultimate goal, hopefully for Christmas

My goal is to get fitter, healthier and lighter, currently by about 21lbs

Reasons
    1 self esteem
    2 to be fit enough to push Anne in a wheelchair part ways on our longer walks when her stamina fails a little

Goals
    Have enough spare calories each week to lose 1lb per week, while staying at or just above 1200 calories
    Cut out the mindless comfort eating
    Measure, measure, measure.

• amberlinamk1
    amberlinamk1 Posts: 371 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

My main goals are:

#1 Gain energy so I can feel more motivated. (The way I feel when the sun is out out I’m on vaca 😬)

#2 Stop eating so much sugar/treat. I know this can add to weight gain and depression.

#3 Stop mindless boredom eating when I’m at work

#4 Feel better in my skin!!
  • sgod50
    sgod50 Posts: 828 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

My ultimate goal is to lose weight and get healthier. To do that I'm going to focus on habits that I can control.

#1 Track my food daily and stay within my calorie range.
    #2 Continue building my exercise routine - strength training and peloton riding.
    #3 Start tracking my steps and start increasing my weekly step count
    #4 Continue with the good habits that I already have including listening to my 'Why' every day, getting to the gym, tracking my food and trying to stay in my calorie range
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Goals for better health (lose weight)
    1. No sugar
    2. Up steps to 7500 min daily
    3. Plan my meals daily
    Prioritize ME and my goals, my needs!
  • cmoak54
    cmoak54 Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    “One Day And One Step At A Time”. My ultimate destination is to be healthy, happy and feel great. Eating right and exercising makes me feel like I am in control of my life and keeps my blood sugar in control. I want to be happy with how I look and feel which helps improve my mood and relationships with family and friends.
    Goal 1: Keep majority of food choices whole, healthy, low carb foods that do not spike my blood sugar and improve my 24 hour average blood sugar on CGM to 90-120 every day, (Tracked on CGM, Currently averaging 113-126).
    Goal 2: Stay within my calorie goal and lose at least 1# per week – minimum 8 lbs. lost by end of challenge. (I am already averaging a 1.3 lb./week loss since April 1).
    Goal 3: Exercise – Do something every day, get out of the chair! Work up to minimum 10,000 steps every day, per Fitbit. Plan for a minimum of 20-minute walk before lunch, alternate days with chair yoga or weights. (up until this week I haven’t done any exercise or worn my Fitbit in months.)
  • macrat12
    macrat12 Posts: 5,223 Member
    Options
    My goals are to get in 15K steps daily while hitting my macros, getting in a gallon+ water daily, 60 min walk daily and 3-5 resistance training workouts a week.
  • MCTortoise
    MCTortoise Posts: 2,504 Member
    Options

1. Track nutrition and consistently stay in calorie range.
    2. Exercise daily at least 30 minutes.
    3. Strength train routine minimum 3x per week.
    4. 7,000 steps a day
    5. Track my healthy habits in my journal for accountability.

~ Marianne
  • azhkrgrl
    azhkrgrl Posts: 424 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Overall Challenge Goal: Meet my 5% weight goal
    Quantifiable Steps:

Nourishment
    - Eat breakfast every day
    - Eat 3-5 servings of fruit & vegetables every day
    - Drink at least 96oz of water (3 fill-ups in water bottle) daily
    -Practice mindful eating by taking at least 20 minutes to eat each meal without any distraction
    -Meal plan weekly and stick to it so I don't fall back on old habits/eat out

Movement
    - Walk 5000 steps per day minimum
    - Take short breaks every hour to get up and move while working
    - Exercise at least 10 min a day & build up to 20 minutes, then 30 minutes. Classes to include stretching/flexibility twice a week & strength training 3 times a week.
    -Walking/cycling on the weekends.

Self-Care
    - No electronics at least 30 minutes before bed
    - In bed no later than 10:30 PM every night
    - Wake up by 6:30 AM for a half hour of quiet before everyone gets up and moving
    - Read 15 minutes per day
    - Journal for a few minutes every day to reflect and track progress
  • EmPea888
    EmPea888 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    ~ GOAL: 5% reduction in body weight - 100% recommitment to me!

~ WHY? I want to feel vibrant and alive again. Long term it's really important for me to maintain strength, stamina and flexibility - I need to course correct to achieve that.

~ EXERCISE? MFP walking challenge, yoga/Pilates 3 x per week, fascia release 2 x per week, daily skin care, daily prayer, meditation & journaling.

~ NUTRITION? Plan meals a day in advance, stay within my budget, no sugars or grains, steady blood sugar, breakfast & lunch main meals with light supper.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 12,111 Member
    Options
    ~ GOAL: To lose another 2 to 4 lbs

~ WHY? To help my heart and kidneys in order to live healthier and longer.

~ EXERCISE? Getting in my 3,000 steps a day is NOT easy for me, but it's achievable if I go slowly.

~ NUTRITION: At at 1250 calories low sodium (most of the time).
  • Kateljm
    Kateljm Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Smart Goals:
    Overall: Achieve weight of 125 lbs. by 12/01/23.

Exercise:
    Complete 150 minutes of cardio a week.*
    Do at least 2 ST sessions per week.

Nutrition:
    To eat 5 freggies/day at least 4 days out of 7.

Restoration:
    Average at least 7 hours of sleep per night for 5 weeks out of 8.

WHY? Having been diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation despite looking very healthy on paper, I need to improve my efforts across the board to stave off additional A-Fib events. I need to place a higher priority on adequate Recovery; the Sleep goal is very important.
    * I may possibly have surgery this fall (evaluation 9/18), and that may lower my capacity for cardio during these 8 weeks. But it may just mean that I need to perform at a lower cardio intensity during rehab; my body will still need to move. (Less intense movement means less slush in my nutritional tracking!)
  • 2122DJC
    2122DJC Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    5% Challenge Goals written in my weekly planner in detail. Done
  • 15Katharina06
    15Katharina06 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My goal is to get my emotional eating under control and therefore only eat healthy foods in the evenings. snack prepared by me
    I also want to lose at least 2lbs and, above all, keep it off.
    240 minutes of exercise per week.
    and I want to learn to be proud of myself. Because when I filled out the profile here, I was completely surprised that I had already lost 6 kg since February. I wasn't even aware of it because I'm always busy being annoyed that I'm not losing enough weight
  • epivan
    epivan Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Meet macros nutrition goal daily.
    Circuits 5x/week.
    At least one bike ride/week.
  • tjharleygal55
    tjharleygal55 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    My life has seemed so out of control this past year, I need to refocus and I think this is going to help me greatly. Sorry that this is so long, but I need to write it all down before any interruptions.

Pre-challenge Activity #2:

~ Why? I know that exercise and healthy weight will allow me to stay active and alert as I keep getting older. Studies show that exercise keeps the brain healthier and my mom had severe dementia and other health issues. I’m 67 and want to keep my body and brain as active as I can for as long as I can!

~ My Goals and how I will reach them:

Nutrition: 1. I will track my food daily, staying at or slightly under my daily calorie limit, planning my meals ahead as often as I can.
    2. No eating after 7 PM, unless special circumstances (friends for dinner, etc)
    3. Drink at least 64 oz of water daily.
    4. Eat 5-7 freggies/day
    5. Practice mindful eating as often as I can

Exercise: 1. Work out 5-6X/week (Committing to 4/5 days being at least 20 min in my aerobic/anaerobic zone, even dancing counts 😉)
    1b. Plan my workouts for the week on Sunday evening and stick to the plan
    2. Do my routine weight training 2-3x/week. (I am teaching 2 strength classes 2x/week, so that will help)
    3. Do my ab routine at least 5 days/week
    4. Get 10,000 steps in daily, measured on my Fitbit (Need a new one, mine isn’t tracking steps anymore. 🙄)
    (This may seem overzealous, but since I am pretty active anyway, this is what I need to reach for. Some of this I am already doing. I know I will have days/weeks that I don’t complete this, but I need to challenge myself to this.)

Self Care: 1. Wake by 6:30 AM for 30+ mins of my coffee with God (my devotional time)
    2. Try to include morning stretching/yoga at least 3x/week
    2. Write daily in my Gratitude Journal
    3. No electronics at least 30 min before bedtime
    4. In bed AND asleep no later than 10:30 PM
    5. Be gracious to myself, knowing I am a “work in progress”

@azhkrgel I liked the way you did your goals and have some of the same, so hope you don’t mind me using some of them. 😊

• lavalily
    lavalily Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    My overall goal is to eat regularly rather than ignore hunger signals. Sticking with MFP helps with that goal.
  • joywilson383
    joywilson383 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    My overall goal is to lose 10 pounds by Christmas. I will do this by tracking what I eat and drink, and I will exercise everyday.
  • Sheila7631
    Sheila7631 Posts: 904 Member
    Options

My overall goal is to lose weight and get healthier.

#1 Track my food daily and stay within my calorie range.
    #2 Amp up my movement each week.
    #3 Work up to and then maintain 70,000 steps a week.
    #4 Reduce daily sugar/carbs while increasing fiber and protein
  • vexedangel678
    vexedangel678 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    My overall goal is to reverse my nonalcoholic fatty liver disease as much as possible. That means I need to lose weight and eat better. I've already lost 10 lbs. and cut alcohol from my diet, and do 20-30 minutes of cardio 3-6 days/week and take a 10 minute walk at lunch 5 days a week. I'd like to get to 206 during this challenge, which means I need to lose 1.375 lbs. a week.