Pre-Challenge Activity #3: Meal Plan

Options
kaliswalker
kaliswalker Posts: 1,196 Member
edited September 2023 in Social Groups
8hbioqlz78nz.png

❔What is the first thing you think of when you decide that you need to 'get healthy' and 'lose weight'?
❔What is at the top of the list when your doctor tells you that your blood pressure needs to be managed or that your cholesterol numbers are too high?

More often than not, they will suggest that you follow a low carb, low sugar, low salt, low fat, etc., etc., etc. diet. They may even give you a '2-pager' on what they might suggest for you to follow and then they tell you to make an appointment for a 6-month appointment to see how you are doing and out the door they go to their next appointment. This scenario is if you are one of the lucky ones. You could be one of those who have been brought to an Emergency Department of a hospital with chest pains, tingling in your limbs, shortness of breath, etc. After running a battery of tests your diagnosis is revealed and ultimately, as part of your discharge plan, your eating habits are once again attacked.

Most of the time, after such an appointment, you feel like a failure; you feel hopeless. Let me tell you, it is NOT you. Our food supply is tainted and clever advertising can entice us with delicious looking overly processed food that, if you think about it logically, CAN'T possibly be all that good for you!! Whatever you think about nutritional information that is shared within the media, the more ingredients in a food that you can't pronounce and the less work you have to put in to get something on the table - the more unhealthy the meal becomes.

Searching on the internet for ideas becomes even more confusing ... many sites tell you to eat this and not that or to eat that and not this, but if you look closely you will see that many of these sites are also sponsored by those that have a monetary interest in the 'healthy food' industry. Although I don't believe everything that I read, even from those sites that are 'experts', I think that a lot of what is written here is true. Please join me in reading the following article published by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/healthy_eating/index.html

Of course, there are plans out there like Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem, Noom, Atkins, Paleo, Keto - the list goes on and on. Unfortunately, there is no 'one size fits all' and various plans work better for some than for others. You have to decide what interests you and then give it a try. Knowing that weight-loss and healthy lifestyle is not the same for everyone lends itself to the fact that you can/will try many things before you find something that resonates with you and fits into your lifestyle and helps to get the results you need. Do some research; pick a plan to follow what piques your interest and follow that plan for a period of time.

In business, they talk about adopting processes in a 'plan-do-check-act' format. It means that there is a task that needs to be completed. You PLAN how to get that task done by doing research and developing steps that are needed to execute that task. You DO follow that plan and CHECK your progress. If you find a flaw in the plan, you ACT to correct your steps to eventually have a satisfactory outcome. You really can use this 'plan-do-check-act' approach in many aspects of your own life. Why not try this approach to find the nutritional plan that resonates with you? What meal plan are YOU following for YOUR healthy lifestyle journey?

> > > > Of course, any and all of these recommendations NEVER, EVER supersede recommendations from your healthcare provider. We are all individuals and are all at different stages of life (and health) which sometimes dictate what we can and can't eat. If you are under a physician's care and a meal plan has been recommended for your specific needs, please continue following your doctor's orders! < < < <

📓Your assignment: Your assignment: Pre-Challenge Activity #3: Meal Plan

Whatever ‘ food plan’ you are doing or something that is working for you, write it down!!

Feel free to add your comments to this thread outlining your meal plan for a successful 2023 5% Challenge (if you blog, you may add the link to your blog here or you may simply wish to copy/paste your writing here - or do both!), but please consider sharing!!

Remember to feel proud of each and every day that you 'work your plan', however, if you have a day where you find you stumble, don't dwell on it; pick yourself up; dust yourself off and keep walking toward your goal(s). Never make it 2 bad days in a row!

We invite you to add your comments to this thread outlining your goal setting plans for a successful 2023 5% Challenge (if you blog, you may add the link to your blog here or you may simply wish to copy/paste your writing here - or do both!), but please consider sharing!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PLEASE NOTE: The Seasonal 5% Challenge Teams are very active. You will be expected to participate to the best of your ability.

ALL challenge weeks run from Saturday through Friday - you will be expected to record your exercise and Living the Good Life points based on weekly Challenge Themes. You are expected to record these points daily or at least as often as you can during the week but no later than 11:59 pm each Friday (your local time). In addition, you are expected to weigh in one time per week by 11:59 pm every Saturday (your local time). Your individual team leaders and/or team mates will help to answer any and all questions about where to record your points.

🔮Our individual 5% Challenge Teams are currently being set up.

✉️You will be invited to your individual team soon, in enough time to get to know your team leaders and team mates. Until then, get to know some of the Challengers that will be participating right along with you.

📢Announcements will be made when invitations to your individual teams are sent. Please visit this team, the 2023 5% COMMUNITY TEAM often as this will be the best source for up-to-date information.

Previous Pre-Challenge Activities (consider reading/participating in one or all of them):

Replies

• Lessennan
    Lessennan Posts: 2,965 Member
    Options
    My thoughts now are no longer which diet plan should I try this time.
    This time it’s what personal plan can I organise within my calorie limits that I can live with long term.
    I don’t eat out very often and I don’t eat much processed foods but I’m not going to ban anything in moderation.
    This is for life not just till I lose an ounce or two.
    I’m cooking for one now most of the time so I can try new things, measure precisely the portions, and eliminate loads of treats that I don’t particularly like, from the store cupboard.
  • macrat12
    macrat12 Posts: 5,223 Member
    Options
    My food plan is simple tracking macros.
  • cmoak54
    cmoak54 Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    I chuckled to myself when you talked about the Plan-Do-Check-Act process for meal planning. When I was still working I emphasized that process regularly to all our employees. Most people do this for most activities, but don't consciously realize they are doing it! It applies perfectly for this.
    My meal plan: Track macros, 1200-1300 calories and < 100 carbs a day. Minimize/eliminate processed foods, read food labels, measure/weigh as accurately as possible, be honest about recording what I eat. I don't intentionally plan cheat days but know that there will be meals that don't meet macros, I always look at the averages.
  • sgod50
    sgod50 Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    For my food plan I'm tracking macros. I also get at least 64 ounces of water every day, get a minimum of 5 servings of freggies and try to eat mostly whole foods.
  • azhkrgrl
    azhkrgrl Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    For my food plan, I will use the plate method, where half of my plate will be filled with non starchy vegetables, one quarter with lean proteins, & the last quarter with whole grain or starchy vegetables.
  • EmPea888
    EmPea888 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    FOOD PLAN

* Breakfast either mackerel with mixed bean salad or an omelette (or frittata if I have leftovers to use up).
    * Lunch will generally be a protein with mixed veg especially green leafies - e.g. salmon & broccoli stew, chicken with multiple veggies or salad, carbonara/Bolognese sauce with courgette (zucchini tagliatelle) or carrot vermicelli (made with a spiraliser), chicken curry on cauliflower rice. I'm cutting out bread/pasta/rice so there will be lots of substituting going on.
    * Dinner - I want to eat light in the evenings to get some element of intermittent fasting going on - also to aid sleep. This is likely to be berries with natural yoghurt, a sprinkle of muesli for texture and some chopped nuts.
    * Snacks - no eating between meals. But I am hoping to round off each meal with a piece of fruit, some nuts or Montezumas 100% cocoa chocolate. I'm hoping I can really get my activity up and have treats of no-flour seed bread with peanut butter.

I really need to be measuring my food as my portion control is a bit non-existent at the moment *yeesh*. I don't do low fat and I will still be having oil, butter and whole milk from within my allowance.
  • Kateljm
    Kateljm Posts: 1,608 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    My Food Plan is a Balanced Diet, Low-Sodium, with 100-calorie daily deficit.
    • I achieve this by cooking from scratch, and including abundant non-starchy veggies and fruit.
    • This round I will make my own coleslaw mix, top with a hard-boiled egg, and tomatoes or carrots, and accent with 1 Tablespoon of homemade vinaigrette. When I eat this for lunch or dinner, I never gain weight, and I feel satiated. Another option: Kale protein smoothie - 4-5 freggies!
    • I will continue making batches of steel-cut oatmeal, topped preferably with fresh fruit, but not more than 1/2 teaspoon of sugar if omitting the fruit.
    For dinner, we will have
    • mostly chicken or fish, steamed or air-fried.
    • Sausage occasionally, served with bell peppers and onions.
    • Hearty bean and vegetable soups.
    • Modest, measured portion of rice, pasta, or potato (homecut air-fried potatoes).
    • I weigh my ice cream, between 50-59 grams (less than 1/2 cup); weighing seems less restrictive than using a measuring cup.
    • Eating out perhaps once a week, but pre-planning what I can order that won't sabotage me.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 12,111 Member
    Options
    I'll stay with my tried and true, staying around the 1250 calories mark. I also track my sodium which automatically eliminates fast food very often. WOOHOO TO THAT!! Tracking my food is the best way for me to stay on my goal.
  • 15Katharina06
    15Katharina06 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I plan tthree main dishes per week that a healthy often veggie. For breakfast I go weekdays with my kefir smoothie.
    I want to choose healthy snacks and fruits . I d o not make ad iet . I still want to enyoy my meals but i also want to choose wisely
  • amberlinamk1
    amberlinamk1 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    My Food plan is to track my macros and log into MFP
  • epivan
    epivan Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I need to hit my 40-30-30 macros daily. I've been consistently short on protein for the past few months and it's showing on the scale.
  • tjharleygal55
    tjharleygal55 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    My Food Plan is simply tracking what goes into my mouth on MFP. My breakfasts and lunches don’t vary much. The wild cards are usually our dinners. So, I will plan the week’s dinner meals on Sunday evening to keep from going outside my goals. If there is a “splurge” (company for dinner, etc.) I will plan to enter the amounts of what I am eating ahead of time and stick with them. I know there will be times I don’t follow it, but that’s when grace in my self-care part of my goals will come into play. I will, however, keep it from becoming a 2 or more day thing. I will also need to plan my snacks, because that is often where I derail. I need to keep healthy snacks around, fruit/veggies already prepped, to be able to grab and run or sit and enjoy my snacks. Mindfully eating my snacks will also help!
  • lavalily
    lavalily Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Because I have a habit of ignoring hunger signals, my goal is to eat from all of these five food groups every day. Not eating put me into the hospital recently with "malnutrition!" Even though I thought I was eating properly, it turns out I wasn't eating enough to keep me healthy! I wasn't trying to lose weight - I just wasn't hungry or I was too busy to take time to eat.
  • roan4wrd
    roan4wrd Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Food Diary and Water intake logging throughout the day. Mindful eating and planning for times away from home - always trips me up.
  • joywilson383
    joywilson383 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Food diary and water intake logging throughout the day. Mindfull eating and emotional eating are also my major problems.
  • vexedangel678
    vexedangel678 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing intermittent fasting with a 12-8 pm eating window. I am also staying within calorie range according to MFP to lose weight consistently, and following the Mediterranean diet as closely as possible.
  • katiecondy1
    katiecondy1 Posts: 3,283 Member
    Options
    Big challenge for me ..as I get busy and forget about eating till I am starving. With nothing out to fix I tend to grab what there is and over do. To have a delivery of ..This is what you will eat today would work for me. Cooking for one is not that much fun!! But gonna give the DASH plan a go this go round and do my best to stick to it!!
  • 130StrongerEachYear
    Options
    Pre-Challenge Activity #3: Meal Plan

I have found that healthy Keto with time limited eating works for me.
    I do start the morning with a 2 cup Keto Coffee with MCT oil, cinnamon and Hershey dark baking chocolate.
    Lunch is a large 6 to 7 cups of green leafy vegetables plus protein, avocado, nuts, oil and vinaigrette dressing.
    Dinner is protein and a half plate of vegetables. Yogurt with Chia Seeds and berries for dessert.
    Eating lunch and Dinner between noon and 6 PM.

Never thought this would work for me, but once I got it started...I find that I am not hungry. And it helps me lose weight consistently...a little every week.
    For me this is a simple formula...not many decisions...easy to prepare and very satisfying.
  • prosearose
    prosearose Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian high protein, low carb, low calorie small dishes throughout the day. Variety in food to ensure good nutrition. Mindful eating, small bites. Eight glasses of water per day.
  • ThursLins
    ThursLins Posts: 1,506 Member
    Options
    Pre-Challenge Activity #3 - food plan

Currently following close to a Keto food plan. Keeping it low carb. Altho, I truly dislike putting a name on this bc we're not on a "diet" and we're working towards what works for us.