Pre-Challenge Activity #4: Exercise Plan

Options
kaliswalker
kaliswalker Posts: 1,197 Member
edited September 2023 in Social Groups
by31fkn6dc34.png

🗬In thinking about pre-challenge activities for the 2023 5% Challenge, in the last activity we discussed meal planning. Anytime you think of a healthy lifestyle there are two things that are usually mentioned, healthy eating and exercise. Since healthy eating was already mentioned, this activity will be highlighting the importance of exercise as you plan YOUR journey.🗭

🤔❔I started researching by asking Google:
'What is the best exercise plan for healthy lifestyle at any age?'
Here is the first answer that was received:
Which exercise is best for healthy life? A combination of aerobic (walking, swimming) and strength training (weights) is best. Walking is one of the easiest activities to start. You don't have to do all 30 minutes at once. Try walking for 15 minutes twice each day.

🔍I looked further at the answers and found recommendations - by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and this article has guidelines, no matter what age you are. Here is the link:
https://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/basics/age-chart.html

📼There are endless videos (many of them are free) on sites like YouTube that deal with almost any type of exercise/physical activity that you can think of from 'Couch to 5K' to Chair Exercises.

Remember, a healthy lifestyle (like almost anything else in life) must have balance. The only one that knows your body is you. The only one that knows how you are feeling is you.

If you are not used to exercise and don't know where to begin - how about just getting up and walking around the house? Once you are comfortable doing that, perhaps walk around outside of your house, down the driveway, to the mailbox, down the block. No matter what you do, getting up to move will be so good for your body and it will help you feel accomplished once you are done.

In addition to planning your personal exercise plan, why don't you take a look for your sneakers? Are they in good shape? Do they need to be replaced so you will be comfortable when walking/moving? Do you have a water bottle handy? Do you own a step tracker? Do you use it? If you like to go outside to walk! Do you have the appropriate outerwear that will ensure you aren't too hot/too cold?

> > > > Of course, any and all of these recommendations NEVER EVER supersede recommendations from your healthcare provider. We are all individuals and are all at different stages of life (and health) which sometimes dictate what we can and can't physically do. If you are under a physician's care and are unable to exercise or you must limit your exercise to accommodate your specific needs, there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't continue following your doctor's orders! < < < <

📓Your assignment: PRE-CHALLENGE ACTIVITY #4: Exercise Plan - What exercise plan will YOU follow for YOUR healthy lifestyle journey? Think of what you can easily commit to in a day and commit to that. For a few days a week, consider doing ‘just a little more’ if you can to challenge yourself.

Feel free to add your comments below outlining your exercise plan for a successful 2023 5% Challenge (if you blog, you may add the link to your blog here or you may simply wish to copy/paste your writing here - or do both!), but please consider sharing!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PLEASE NOTE: The Seasonal 5% Challenge Teams are very active. You will be expected to participate to the best of your ability.

ALL challenge weeks run from Saturday through Friday - you will be expected to record your exercise and Living the Good Life points based on weekly Challenge Themes. You are expected to record these points daily or at least as often as you can during the week but no later than 11:59 pm each Friday (your local time). In addition, you are expected to weigh in one time per week by 11:59 pm every Saturday (your local time). Your individual team leaders and/or team mates will help to answer any and all questions about where to record your points.

🔮Our individual 5% Challenge Teams are currently being set up.

✉️You will be invited to your individual team soon, in enough time to get to know your team leaders and team mates. Until then, get to know some of the Challengers that will be participating right along with you.

📢Announcements will be made when invitations to your individual teams are sent. Please visit this team, the 2023 5% COMMUNITY TEAM often as this will be the best source for up-to-date information.

Previous Pre-Challenge Activities (consider reading/participating in one or all of them):
Heidi (hicim705)
Overall Co-Leader, Seasonal 5% Challenges (hosted on MFP)

Replies

• Lessennan
    Lessennan Posts: 2,965 Member
    Options
    My exercise plan now goes like this
    Tuesday I’m calling my day off from anything household related.
    I’m taking myself out every Tuesday the weather isn’t too inclement and taking the bus to my latest starting point on the Fife coastal path and walking 4 or 5 miles just for me. Me time, relaxation, exercise, peace with just the birds and sometimes the seashore for company. And checking out the bits that are wheelchair friendly so Anne and I can do them together on a Saturday she’s at mine.
    Daily, I’m doing 1 hr in the church garden, if I’m home, currently digging and riddling to get rid of stringy roots to make it easier to hoe in future.

Trying to organise a free room in my house for exercise bike, wiifit, and space for exercise videos. Must be prepared for normal Scottish weather
  • macrat12
    macrat12 Posts: 5,225 Member
    Options
    My training plan is simple 60 min walk every evening, 3-5 resistance training workouts and 1 intentional mile daily.
  • sgod50
    sgod50 Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    My exercise plan:
    5 day strength training split, M, T, W, F, Sat plus warm up and cool down
    3 days Peloton rides
    Meet my step goal
  • cmoak54
    cmoak54 Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    My exercise plan:
    This is actually harder for me than meal planning. I have never gotten into a regular routine of exercise and have never consistently stuck with anything my entire life. This is where I will need the most encouragement and push! I am currently working on doing 20 minutes of any exercise daily.
    1) Work on gradually increasing my steps to 5000-8000 consistently, so I can maintain it (i.e. walks, Yes2next videos, elliptical),
    2) Start doing Strength and Balance training 2 days a week. Gradually build up, starting at 5-10 minutes. (find something I will stick with i.e. chair exercises, body weight, resistance band, weight machine)
  • azhkrgrl
    azhkrgrl Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    My exercise plan:
    - Walk 5000 steps per day minimum
    - Exercise at least 10 min a day & build up to 20 minutes, then 30 minutes. Classes to include stretching/flexibility twice a week & strength training 3 times a week.
    -Walking/cycling on the weekends.

• EmPea888
    EmPea888 Posts: 108 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    1. Walk 10,000 steps per day
    2. Move every hour
    3. Yoga/Pilates 3 x per week
    4. Fascia release 2 x per week
    5. Daily household tasks
  • 15Katharina06
    15Katharina06 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    M,W,F 60 min swimming with my man
    2 times weekdays I park my Car not in front of the buisness office and have a walk to work and back
    everyday 10 000 steps
  • amberlinamk1
    amberlinamk1 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    My Exercise plan is:
    Friday-Monday HIIT with weights 60 minutes with household duties included.
    Monday-Thursday walk 2 miles a day while at work with squats in between.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 12,124 Member
    Options
    My Exercise plan:

Cardio will be walking at least 3,000 steps a day on the days I am healthy enough

ST: I KNOW I should do this. Its an area of resisting to do. LOL, I'll work on that.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    M-F at least 45 min in gym - a combo of weights, cardio/swimming, increasing daily steps to 6500
    SS at least 7500 steps daily
  • epivan
    epivan Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Circuits 5x/week.
    At LEAST one bike ride/week.
    Run the furbabies 3+x/week.
  • tjharleygal55
    tjharleygal55 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Had already written my exercise plan with my goals. Here they are:

1. Work out 5-6X/week (Committing to 4/5 days being at least 20 min in my aerobic/anaerobic zone, even dancing counts 😉)
    1b. Plan my workouts for the week on Sunday evening and stick to the plan
    2. Do my routine weight training 2-3x/week. (I teach 2 strength training classes 2x/week already, so that will help)
    3. Do my ab routine at least 5 days/week
    4. Get 10,000 steps in daily, measured on my Fitbit (Need a new one, mine isn’t tracking steps anymore. 🙄)
    (This may seem overzealous, but since I am pretty active anyway, this is what I need to reach for. Some of this I am already doing. I know I will have days/weeks that I don’t complete this, but I need to challenge myself more than I am.)
  • lavalily
    lavalily Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Because I'm limited to a walker, I don't do some of the exercises I used to do, like running! But I do try to get in steps even with the walker. I go to a gym regularly and work with a trainer. She works on strengthening my legs as well as my upper body. At home, I have a set of weights by my computer and I use those while I write. My goal this time is to make that a routine rather than "when i think about it!"
  • joywilson383
    joywilson383 Posts: 1,385 Member
    Options
    I interval train everyday ( except for Sunday), on Sunday I just walk. I workout with resistance bands every other day.
  • vexedangel678
    vexedangel678 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I wake up early to do 20 minutes of cardio 5 days a week. This is the goal, anyway. I also take a 10 minute walk every day at lunch, I am pretty good at that one. Then on the weekends I like to do yardwork and/or go on a hike.

I am focusing on cardio now, but I do also have routines for stretching, strength, and calisthenics that I occasionally also do.
  • katiecondy1
    katiecondy1 Posts: 3,284 Member
    Options
    I have a set of exercises that are must do..for the rehab post knee replacement. Supplementing with ST , Also getting out the ole Richard Simmons CD's and will be "Dancing to the Oldies"..Walking with Kathy..trying to set up for being snowbound and having a "get it done" plan in place.
  • 130StrongerEachYear
    Options
    PRE-CHALLENGE ACTIVITY #4: Exercise Plan - What exercise plan will YOU follow for YOUR healthy lifestyle journey?

I have built in a 30 minute walk in my morning routine and until my mom's health really failed about 3 weeks ago and my home was filled with family. I will be able to restart this in a couple of days and be on track for the challenge

I was struggling last go around to get stretches and strength added. I am thinking I will add a strength session 3 days a week to the morning routine...Probably Monday, Wednesday, Friday. And a 10 to 15 minute stretch routine using Yoga every evening. Not sure yet. My mind is still pretty fuzzy and decisions are hard. I do know my night routine needs to be recreated. I used to spend 2 hours having dinner and watching a Hallmark movie with mom every night...now that is done.
  • ThursLins
    ThursLins Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Activity #4 - exercise

I exercise each day, adding a rest day here & there as needed.
    Gardening
    Line Dancing/ Dancing
    Swimming
    Walking
  • cormierannie
    cormierannie Posts: 4,460 Member
    Options
    activity #4- exercise
    walk for 60 minutes every day
    get in 10,000 steps daily
    dancing for at least 60 minutes daily
    strength training three times a week
    yoga once a week
  • paceka2
    paceka2 Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    PRE-CHALLENGE ACTIVITY #4: Exercise Plan

I already have a fairly well established Exercise Plan as follows:

Monday - Pilates Reformer
    Tuesday - Pilates Fusion
    Saturday - Pilates Fusion

30 min + Walk with my dog Daisy every day if weather permits.

30 min + Stretching and some strengthening exercises daily at the end of the day

What I would like to add:

Wednesday - Arora 360 which is a 45 min class that includes cardio, balance and strength
    At home Yoga on YouTube - Yoga with Adrianne has been my favorite site so far
    Walking on the treadmill on those days that I am unable to walk outside