Pre-Challenge Activity #7: Have You Made An Appointment With Yourself?

Options
kaliswalker
kaliswalker Posts: 1,197 Member
edited September 2023 in Social Groups
nqccf673obg9.png
When thinking about the 2023 5% Challenge, you must COMMIT to the changes that you plan to make and you must also commit to the Challenge itself. There are many ways to commit to the Challenge … but ~ the easiest and fastest way to make that commitment and to help ensure you start (and finish) the Challenge is to Make An Appointment With Yourself.

In researching this topic, I found that I’m not the only one that tries to ‘stay on track’ by adding this type of journey to a calendar. If you are anything like me, there is a ‘wall calendar’ that still adorns a part of my kitchen. On it, I carefully add birthdays and some important appointments, but I find that most of these are duplicated on a calendar that I carry with me. Years ago, I used to carry a smaller, purse-sized calendar and I would carefully record birthdays/anniversaries/appointments/vacations, etc. on it. Fast forward several years, almost everyone carries (and uses) a calendar by way of an ‘app’ that is on your cell phone. Why not add the 2023 5% Challenge as an event (or appointment) on whatever calendar program that you use?

One suggestion is to add the 2023 5% Challenge as a recurring event. One time per week is all that is really needed, but it will serve as a constant reminder that you are working toward a goal that has a beginning and an end. Not sure what to ‘calendar’? Here is a format that you can copy/use for your own purposes (or you can design your own format). First, consider color coding the Challenge to a color that makes it ‘stand out’ and is different from any/all of your other appointments. Next, decide how you want this appointment to show up on your calendar … following is an example of a weekly appointment (that shows up every Saturday during the Challenge with an additional entries highlighting the final day of the challenge and final weigh-in):

fc6xjcql0sdr.png

This is not a unique idea as you can do an online search for something like: Planning a weight loss journey/calendar. You will find many ideas that deal with this idea. In previous topics we have discussed planning in many different ways, this exercise strives to keep you on track. A seasonal 5% challenge is 8 weeks. Each week = 7 days. 8 weeks X 7 days/week = 56 days in total. You CAN commit to 56 days (or 8 weeks) and making an appointment with yourself to ensure that you are present each and every day is so smart!

📓 Your assignment: PRE-CHALLENGE ACTIVITY #7: Have You Made An Appointment With Yourself?

💭Please think about the suggestions of this exercise and let everyone know that you have committed to the Challenge by making an appointment with yourself. In addition, please share your creative ways to remind yourself to show up!!

Feel free to add your comments to this thread outlining your plan for a successful 2023 5% Challenge (if you blog, you may add the link to your blog here or you may simply wish to copy/paste your writing here - or do both!), but please consider sharing!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PLEASE NOTE: The Seasonal 5% Challenge Teams are very active. You will be expected to participate to the best of your ability.

ALL challenge weeks run from Saturday through Friday - you will be expected to record your exercise and Living the Good Life points based on weekly Challenge Themes. You are expected to record these points daily or at least as often as you can during the week but no later than 11:59 pm each Friday (your local time). In addition, you are expected to weigh in one time per week by 11:59 pm every Saturday (your local time). Your individual team leaders and/or team mates will help to answer any and all questions about where to record your points.

🔮Our individual 5% Challenge Teams are currently being set up.

✉️Invitations to individual teams have been sent out. Members are packing their bags and getting their boarding passes so that they can join their individual team. Until then, get to know some of the Challengers that will be participating right along with you. Once you have joined your individual team, please check your team's instructions, become familiar with them and get to know your leaders and team mates.

📢Announcements will be made when invitations to your individual teams are sent. Please visit this team, the 2023 5% COMMUNITY TEAM often as this will be the best source for up-to-date information.

Previous Pre-Challenge Activities (consider reading/participating in one or all of them):

Replies

• amberlinamk1
    amberlinamk1 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I added all that to my calendar last challenge but it became a habit. I wake up and just get on MFP multiple times through the day (except when I was on vaca 😫😫) and I love that it became a habit!
  • epivan
    epivan Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Already on my calendar.
  • sgod50
    sgod50 Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    On my calendar, but I try to sign on multiple times a day to track my food.
  • 15Katharina06
    15Katharina06 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    checkin with the app is now like a habbit . I made my apontment with me for this challenge
  • tjharleygal55
    tjharleygal55 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Made my appt on my calendar for every Sat. During the challenge. 👍
  • sgod50
    sgod50 Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I've made my appointment for the challenge, also for exercise.
  • lavalily
    lavalily Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Since my issue is not eating enough on a regular basis, I've added "food" times to my calendar along with other appointments. If I connect eating with certain other daily activities, I'm more likely to remember to eat.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Going to make opening the app part of my daily startup at work, so it stays in mind.
  • joywilson383
    joywilson383 Posts: 1,385 Member
    Options
    I always put my exercise times on my calendar everyday. I track what I eat and drink everyday.
  • vexedangel678
    vexedangel678 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I haven't done this yet, in general since I have ADHD I really hate appointments and will rebel and not do them when it's just me. 😂 But I can set a reminder on Alexa. I am good at checking in on the weekend but not so much during the week, although I think I do good at sticking to plan still.
  • katiecondy1
    katiecondy1 Posts: 3,284 Member
    Options
    Sessions planned..but depends on what is happening that day ..life is less than level around here!!
  • cmoak54
    cmoak54 Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I already check-in to the MFP app daily to record my meals and check-in to the challenges. I am a bit of a data nerd, so I also have tracking spreadsheets and charts where I track many things related to my journey such as my weight, calories, steps, sugars, etc. as well as challenge log-in information. They are all updated to include this challenge's requirements. I am looking forward to this challenge!
  • 130StrongerEachYear
    Options
    PRE-CHALLENGE ACTIVITY #7: Have You Made An Appointment With Yourself?

I have the daily reporting and weight in on my habit tracker...Love giving myself stars each time I complete a task. Allows me to quickly see how I am doing building healthy habits.
  • cormierannie
    cormierannie Posts: 4,460 Member
    Options
    i have made an appointment with myself to eat healthier every day, to take better care of myself, to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day, to exercise every day and i track what meals i have on mfp.
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    PRE-CHALLENGE ACTIVITY #7: Have You Made An Appointment With Yourself?

I am pretty good at checking in to MFP daily on work days, but I have an avoidance tendency when I'm at home on days off/weekends. I have added tasks to my planner and my tracking spreadsheet which I already use, that should help me stay on track!
  • ThursLins
    ThursLins Posts: 1,506 Member
    Options
    Activity #7
    I've added "5% Challenge Weigh In" on my phone/computer calendar to recur weekly. I love that I can schedule a reminder.
    Exercise is already on my kitchen calendar (kept front & center...used daily to keep us organized.)
    I will work on adding more of the challenge items to it.
  • marg750me
    marg750me Posts: 2,703 Member
    Options
    I check in everyday the times can be a problem for multi check ins
  • nbruns83
    nbruns83 Posts: 1,943 Member
    Options
    I have a runner's desk calendar and since I log all my fitness there as well as here at MFP, that's pretty much a daily appointment.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 12,124 Member
    Options
    [PRE-CHALLENGE ACTIVITY #7: Have You Made An Appointment With Yourself?/b]

I'm on MFP several times a day. I will start again tomorrow with tracking my food. Every AM I decide on what I'll do for stuff to be done for the day. Daily exercise is at least 30 mins some 3 days will be ST along with cardio.