Financial relief at last. And more...

Options
JudyValentine3
JudyValentine3 Posts: 42 Member
The Ontario government gives diabetic seniors $170 a year for their needles for their pens. That will cover the cost of my needles for 1 year. Annnd...
There is a Canadian Disability Tax Credit. After all these years, they have relaxed the criteria to some degree.
It used to be, if you were type 1, you had to prove you spent 14 hours per week, managing your diabetes. So, I honetly don't think I spend 14 house a week.
But now, they have said, if you are type 1, it is accepted that you spend 14 hours per week.
So, I talked to my doctor yesterday. Even though my diagnosis in the beginning was treated as type 2, it is in fact type 1. A surgical error caused my pancreas to get infected with C-difficile, which in turn caused necrotizing pancreatitis. This destroyed 50% of my pancreas right from the start. During an agonizing two years, I had pancreatitis attacks darn near every meal. Then I started getting fistulas for nearly 11/2 years. All that has left me with 10% of a pancreas.
So, my doctor has said, I really am a type 1 and agrees with the endocrinoligist who said I should have been treated as a type 1 back in the day when this adventure began.
She will fill out the forms so I can apply for this tax credit which can be applied to my income tax return every year, and they will re-visit my previous returns and hopefully apply it to those years as well.
So, I may finally get something for a surgeon's slip of a scapel when removing a gallstone.

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    This is great news for you! Helps that grocery budget too...
  • JudyValentine3
    Options
    I just hope the government agrees.

• 802Lundgren
    802Lundgren Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello JudyValentine3,
    wow, dont take this the wrong way but what a terrible story, I feel for you and hope you'll get some "compensation" back.
  • 2t9nty
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Hello JudyValentine3,
    wow, dont take this the wrong way but what a terrible story, I feel for you and hope you'll get some "compensation" back.

No lie - we need an update with good news...
  • JudyValentine3
    Options
    Apparently, they are processing my application, and a decision will be ready on or about August 5. Keeping my fingers crossed.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    They have been processing this for over two months! I wonder if they will backdate benefits to the time of application. That would be nice...
  • JudyValentine3
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    They have been processing this for over two months! I wonder if they will backdate benefits to the time of application. That would be nice...

Last update, September 15. When I applied, I ticked the box that asked if I want this applied to past tax returns. If they approve, it will be applied to all my tax returns since 2015, when I was first diagnosed.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    That will be REALLY nice when they finally process it.
  • JudyValentine3
    Options
    Update from Revenue Canada.
    I have been approved for the Disability Tax Credit for the years from 2015 to 2028. They'll be sending me a letter in the mail. I know I get a certificate number for future tax returns but not sure how to apply it to my past returns. Hopefullu the letter explains it all. But, I'm so glad that I was approved.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    Update from Revenue Canada.
    I have been approved for the Disability Tax Credit for the years from 2015 to 2028. They'll be sending me a letter in the mail. I know I get a certificate number for future tax returns but not sure how to apply it to my past returns. Hopefullu the letter explains it all. But, I'm so glad that I was approved.

Whoohoo! I hope this is easily resolved...