Fearless October 2023

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
Ahhh...it's that time again. Fall. Temps turns cooler. Leaves change color. At least in the Northern Hemisphere, anyway. But, regardless, all those holiday foods start creeping in on us. Pumpkin this and that. Parades of Halloween candy-crack...And shortly after that Thanksgiving (for some). More and more holiday parties smack us in the face with all those goodies. Before you know it, it's the New Year, and you're wondering "What the heck happened!!!" You're sporting extra weight. You feel guilty and unhealthy. And disappointed in yourself.

And now you're justifiably afraid. You're welcome. :joy:
In honor of this being the scary month, you can tackle fear or a scary pattern that often derails you or inhibits your progress.

It doesn't have to be scary! This month's theme is Fearless October. This will be month 1 of a "prepping for the holidays" basics crash course: This is my 8th holiday season as a low-carber. And I have lost weight during this period in the past. It CAN be done.

The keys to success in this WOE, or any eating plan for that matter, is three-fold:
  • Consistency
  • Persistence
  • Time

Well, isn't that trite and overly simplistic? I'll admit it is simple, but not easy.

Don't freak though. To let those 3 keys work for you, you need to be prepared. PLAN PLAN PLAN. I can't stress this enough. Plan ahead; log ahead. When you have a firm plan and procedure in place, you create good habits. And good habits work for you by keeping up momentum even when things get busy, chaotic, or just plain scary. You've already paved the road for yourself! All you have to do is stay on the smooth way and enjoy the scenery.

So in this challenge, and in the months ahead, we'll be working to set up and reinforce those good habits before you get in the thick of it. We'll be setting up those easy paths and building up that momentum by practicing a habit pattern to predispose us to sail through the holidays. Here will be you can keep track of the goals you reach. We can encourage one another, get advice about any trouble spots, share low-carb-legal recipes of our holiday favorites. Identify scenarios or patterns that absolutely scare you to death, and tackle the hades out of them.

We're going to compete with ourselves. We'll set up good habits in areas like: water, electrolytes, staying under carb goal, logging daily, staying close to cal goal, hitting our exercise goal, and for resisting a temptation or working on our "fear."

You all may want to add a goal like: "Pre-logged Day" or "Planned Ahead" or "Resisted Off-Plan Halloween Treat" or "Packed On-Plan Lunch". I do not recommend nixing the logging calories or carbs; however, if you are one who becomes stressed by calorie counting, that's ok. But I recommend at least keeping track of your daily carb intake. Portion and carb creep are real. And it helps to occasionally reset our ability to "eye" our carb-count. Now would be a good time to recalibrate your carb-sense. I want every single one of you guys to coast through the holidays, enjoying them to the fullest. Preparation and consistency are key.

On the First of the month, or now if you just can't wait, chime in to let us know your personal goals.
We'll accept challengers at any time of the month. Remember, competing against yourself and starting on getting the basics down (or refreshing them like I am), before the hectic holiday season is fully upon us, is our goal.

em7od5ymabaq.pngLet's go get it!em7od5ymabaq.png

Replies

• MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Happy Autumn.

My weight loss goal by Halloween is to be around 285... that's about 8 or 9 pounds away from right now but I still got a week in Sept.

I love the whole Autumn/Halloween season, but I have a few challenges ahead of me as I've never gone as low carb before as I am now. I've done the "moderation" route and it has never, ever worked, so I'm sticking to the "abstinence" route that has worked for me these last few months.

I'm not going to be having my pumpkin spiced lattes from the shops at all. Too triggering for me. But I think if I stay away altogether, I'll be okay. I'll just stick with my bullet-proof coffees whipping oils/eggs into my brew. Maybe I'll add a pinch of cinnamon to make it seasonal.

Another issue is that our family's religion, Halloween is also a major holiday (Samhain), and I'm usually the host of the big holiday traditional meals & treats. I told everyone already-- I'm making low-carb versions of everything. No potatoes in the beef stew (though they can have a baked potato with theirs if desired), no flour to thicken it, egg white rolls to accompany instead of flour-based rolls, low-carb desserts, etc.

Instead of the sugar apple bread I make in bulk every fall-- we usually have a loaf a week from Sept till the end of November-- I'm making one loaf of a pumpkin-nutbutter grain-free bread.

Also making some treats like fat bombs and keto chocolates as a treat for me & the other low-carbers around here on Halloween night.

I'm buying candy for trick-or-treaters, but not till the day before; and not as much as I usually do so there is no leftovers this year. And if there are leftovers, they're being given away on Nov. 1.

If I go to any parties or anything, I'll just eat before I go, keep away from the food, occupy myself with dancing, and have an emergency low carb chocolate protein bar in my pocket just in case. I don't usually eat them but better I eat like an Atkins or Elevation bar than a plate of cupcakes and chips.

• tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    My October goals include sticking with 150 + min of intentional movement, continuing wit C25K and pre-logging my meals each day. Now that I have some tech issues resolved, I should be able to sustain this.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,120 Member
    Options
    I know I should probably have goals for October, but I really can't say I do. The closest I have to a goal is to stick to eating Keto and staying within my calories.
  • baconslave
    Options
    I know I should probably have goals for October, but I really can't say I do. The closest I have to a goal is to stick to eating Keto and staying within my calories.

sounds like goals to me :smile:
  • baconslave
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

sounds like goals to me :smile:

Personally, my goal for the next couple weeks is to not gain any more weight. :sweat_smile: Cuz I keep getting sabotaged from losing by my Saboteur and my mental health and crazy kid junk. Still working out though. Needing to add some walks on the weekend or something now that the weather will be less sweltery. I'm hoping I can formulate a plan for actual loss goals for No Nonsense November.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,380 Member
    Options
    I thought I put my October goals down ... I apparently am losing my mind LOL Anyway my October goals are:
    * Stay with Keto and IF
    * Meal Prep on Sunday's
    * Get 6 hours of sleep
    * Home Gym 5 days a week for 45 minutes
    * Drink 140 oz of water daily
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    Today my daughter turns 18 ... Where does time go ?? She wants a pot roast dinner and lemon cheesecake cupcakes (of course it will be keto so mama can have some :) She is having a few friends over
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Today my daughter turns 18 ... Where does time go ?? She wants a pot roast dinner and lemon cheesecake cupcakes (of course it will be keto so mama can have some :) She is having a few friends over

Awesome, happy mommy anniversary!! Sheesh it goes so fast, doesn't it?

Sounds like a great dinner. Have fun!

• taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I’m late to the game but want to buckle down for the month. I went off the rails this weekend thanks to my loving Saboteur but I need to ignore his influence and remind myself that I am trying to cut down the fluff around my waist and thighs. I tried on some dress pants tonight as I have to go into the office this week and was disappointed that several were tight. So goals for the rest of the month are to continue my fasts with a couple of 24 hours per week and stay low carb. Ignore the goodies and don’t allow them in the house- they only make me feel bad.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options

Awesome, happy mommy anniversary!! Sheesh it goes so fast, doesn't it?

Sounds like a great dinner. Have fun!

She had an awesome birthday and yes my little girl is not little anymore ....Time does go fast
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    Well I have decided to get off my high horse and stop having a pity party ... I will be working out on my home gym for the 1st time since getting injured in October 2022 ... I have also decided to drop the IF ...so I will be having breakfast after my workout ..I think this will workout better for me ...I hope everyone has a great day :)
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    Seems like every time I set some intention, life gets in the way. Last week was a workout and food bust with our last camping trip of the year. @baconslave I know you can relate! Back at it with workouts yesterday and with logging/meal planning today. Going into the office once a week is also throwing a wrench in my lunch workout plans but I can work around that, just need to set an alarm on my phone for when I get home :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,120 Member
    Options
    Seems like every time I set some intention, life gets in the way. Last week was a workout and food bust with our last camping trip of the year. @baconslave I know you can relate! Back at it with workouts yesterday and with logging/meal planning today. Going into the office once a week is also throwing a wrench in my lunch workout plans but I can work around that, just need to set an alarm on my phone for when I get home :)

I have found eating keto while camping easier than at home as at home we have far more food that the rest of the family eats that is not in any way keto. Camping, we have less, so I am tempted less.
  • taylok23
    Options
    @tishsmith101 I can relate with life just getting in the way. I was in the office two days this week and didn’t eat much at lunch so when home made up for it in the evenings. I have a travel day tomorrow so I suspect it could be hard to stay on plan and be fulfilled but I’m going to try. I can see my midsection suffering from my choices and I mentioned previously that pants are a bit snug so I really need to focus. It’s a daily struggle to make good choices but if I do most of the time, I’m hoping to stay on track.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    I saw my surgeon last week ... Ankle is not healing properly so I am in a hard cast for 6 to 8 weeks ... I swear I can not catch a break ... I hope everyone is doing good
  • taylok23
    Options
    Well, I’ve not stuck to plan and am ticked off with myself for letting things get out of hand. I knew I was eating off plan and likely partaking in drinking more than normal but now clothes are starting to feel more snug than I like. I hopped on the scale and have gained 5 pounds since I last weighed a few weeks ago (yes, some is likely water) but I also got the gumption to do measurements. Since February I’ve increased measurements across the board. Now, I do think my bicep and quads have gained muscle but I’m going the wrong way in the waist, hips and chest! I’ll be 50 in March and really want to shake this fluff. So no more jacking around. Fasting won’t work if I’m not staying low carb. I know this, I just have to get consistent. Thanks for the vent!
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    @taylok23 I am right there with you, this month has been quite a disappointment. I gotta rein it in and stop making excuses.

@Megan_smartiepants1970 you really can't catch a break. Hopefully hard cast is the answer.
  • baconslave
    Options
    November challenge: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10902439/no-nonsense-november-2023/p1?new=1

It's ON, y'all. Enough is enough. Project Reclaim My PrePandemic Life commences Nov 1st
  • taylok23
    Options
    Last day of the month and I’m not happy with my progress or should I say lack thereof? I’m super tired of logging and worrying about weight or what food to eat or not. I need to keep it simple, eat whole foods, manage stress and fast. That will be the focus for next month. Hopefully others can share their successes!