22 years of being a vegetarian and working toward vegan

Options
Hello, I am brand new to the vegetarian group. 22 years of being a vegetarian and working toward the vegan lifestyle, but it is harder than I imagined. Cheese is my weakness and I am a month without cheese. :# Some vegan cheese does not melt. I am loving MFP! It keeps me real with myself and on track of what I am eating. It is a part of my lifestyle now to not go over my daily calorie allowance. Being a vegetarian does not alway mean healthy, so I am trying to do the healty vegetarian way. The french fries, chips, cookies, pizza, etc. I pass on now. So far, great recipes. Let's share ideas.

Replies

• laughingdakini1
    laughingdakini1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm longtime vegetarian too, but yeah cheese is great and for me hard to give up. Good for you for giving it up if you want. We try a lot of the vegan cheese in our house and yeah some is so foul and not even organic or really healthy, plus peeyew smelling. Those round nice expensive ones--name forgotten--are good, mostly cashew and in mozzerella style and actually decent.

I was off mfp for a long time and just started again yesterday--have not been losing weight but have toned up muscles tremendously with a little underdesk elliptical pedal-pusher thing while sitting and reading, and another for arms on the table. They have helped me so much with toning.

I stick with organic when I can, and have just been throwing organic vegetables into and on everything, and protein--just ordered organic unsweetened vegetable protein powder to add to everything, since I believe higher rotein is really helpful and is what i was missing when first vegetarian and pretty much living on mac and cheese and pizza etc.

Oh well. Good luck to all!