Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #1: INFORMATION and YOUR INPUT! โ„น๏ธ๐Ÿ” 

Options
hicim705
hicim705 Posts: 5,209 Member
edited December 2023 in Social Groups
On behalf of the overall leadership team (Lynn @kaliswalker ~ Ceri @Ceriusly1 ~ Heidi @hicim705 ~ Barb @ladyluk1, and Diane @Dianedoessmiles1, as well as the leaders of our eight individual challenge teams (Fit Force ~ Mission Slimpossible ~ Positively Strong 4 Life ~ Rain Dancers ~ Red Hots ~ Shape Shifters ~ Tenacious GR8TERS ~ Thinner Winners) โ€ฆ
๐ŸŽ‡๐Ÿ•›๐Ÿฅณ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽˆ๐ŸŽ†HAPPY NEW YEAR, 2024๐ŸŽ†๐ŸŽˆ๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅณ๐Ÿ•›๐ŸŽ‡!!

๐Ÿ‘‹WELCOME๐Ÿ‘‹ TO THE โ„๏ธโ›„โœจ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ˜Š2024 WINTER 5% CHALLENGE๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ”ฅโœจโ›„โ„๏ธ!! This is our FIRST Challenge in a bright and shiny New Year and we hope that you take some time to read about and take part in the pre-Challenge activities as they are designed to help you get prepared for success ~ especially as the start of a New Year is when a lot of people make resolutions (either ๐Ÿ“ขloud and proud๐Ÿ“ข or ๐Ÿ”•๐Ÿ”‡silently, as a promise to yourself๐Ÿ”‡๐Ÿ”•). Whatever you choose to do ~ please remember, that you are doing this for YOU; your health, and your well-being to become the best **you** that you can be!!

For the several hundred of us who join the Seasonal 5% Challenges from one season to the next, we come here because we are looking to cultivate our friendships, seek support, and we look for structure and continuity. Most of our 5% Challengers have followed us from SparkPeople after they closed their site in the summer of 2021 but our sense of community and support has helped us to welcome Challengers from the MFP site who are now regulars to our seasonal Exercise/Healthy Lifestyle Challenges.
No matter how you found us, we are so happy that you did!!

In doing some research to write these activities, an older article was found on the internet that discussed Team Challenges, and our own 5% Seasonal Challenge was highlighted. Lynn, @kaliswalker (one of the original founders of the 5% Challenge) was interviewed ~ here is the link to the article. It discusses the importance of teams, but the 5% Challenge model was in the spotlight in this article that was written in 2016: https://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=memberrun_challenges_can_help_you_find_success
(As of this writing (Dec. 2023) this article still shows up and it is worth the read).

The story continued (and continues to grow): When SparkPeople closed, we, the current Overall Leadership Team, realized that without SparkPeople and its team spirit, we (and hundreds of our 5% Challenge friends) would be lost and struggling. We sprang into action and searched for an alternate site where we could continue our journey; and continue to write our story. Although many sites were considered, MyFitnessPal was ultimately chosen as our 'new home' with the start of the 2021 Fall 5% Challenge. Bringing the 5% Challenge to MFP was a true labor of love, and with full disclosure, was not smooth sailing as we had hoped, but the Overall Challenge Leader Team put their heads down and worked hard to continue and MAKE it work! At this point, our Challenges are enjoyable and are doing what they were intended to do ~ to provide a space where you can practice healthy habits and where you can chat with other, like-minded MFP members, and where you are encouraged to meet a new friend or two!

๐Ÿ—ฌ๐Ÿค” Now that you have been provided with a bit of a background of the 5% Challenge, please think about what YOU need and how YOU are going to be approaching the Winter 5% Challenge. Will you continue to practice healthy habits that you have already learned and are working for you? Are you looking to begin something entirely new? Are you still trying to identify where you are right now and what you would like to get out of the next 10 weeks? There are no right or wrong answers here as everyoneโ€™s healthy lifestyle goals/journey are unique - like we all are. ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ—ญ

๐Ÿ““Your assignment:
Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #1: INFORMATION and YOUR INPUT!

๐Ÿ˜ŠYour FIRST Countdown Activity for this Challenge will be for YOU to decide where YOU would like to go on YOUR Seasonal 5% Journey (as an added bonus, how YOU would like to begin to write YOUR 2024 STORY). Everyone's reason for joining this Challenge is different. We would like you to dig down deep to share what your motivation is for coming here. We would like you to share what brings you here, and even more importantly - what keeps you coming back! Perhaps there are things that you would like to get out of your personal 5% journey that we haven't discussed and/or researched. Why don't you write down some of YOUR ideas ~ we might even be able to incorporate some of those things in this or future Challenges!๐Ÿ˜Š

โœ๏ธFeel free to add your comments to this thread outlining your exercise plan for a successful 2024 Winter 5% Challenge (if you blog, you may add the link to your blog here or you may simply wish to copy/paste your writing here - or do both!), but please consider sharing!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PLEASE NOTE: The Seasonal 5% Challenge Teams are very active. You will be expected to participate to the best of your ability.

ALL challenge weeks run from Saturday through Friday - you will be expected to record your exercise and โ€˜Living the Good Lifeโ€™ points based on weekly Challenge themes. You are expected to record these points daily or at least as often as you can during the week but no later than 11:59 pm each Friday (your local time). In addition, you are expected to weigh in one time per week by 11:59 pm every Saturday (your local time). Your individual team leaders and/or team mates will help to answer any and all questions about where to record your points.

๐Ÿ”ฎOur Winter 5% Challenge Teams are currently being set up.

โœ‰๏ธYou will be invited to your individual team soon, in enough time to get to know your team leaders and team mates. Until then, get to know some of the Challengers in the 5% Challenge Community that will be participating right along with you.

๐Ÿ“ขAnnouncements will be made when invitations to your individual teams are sent. Please visit this team, the 2024 WINTER 5% COMMUNITY TEAM often as this will be the best source for up-to-date information.

Heidi (hicim705)
Overall Co-Leader, Seasonal 5% Challenges (hosted on MFP)
ยซ1

Replies

• Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 12,109 Member
    Options
    @Hicim705 Heidi so beautifully written!! I LOVE the preassignments, and often do them throughtout the challenge though I had as we have entered it also. WHY? Because these are a great way for me to stay focused. Very much appreicate your putting these up.

ajlbq0rvcaos.gif

I've been thinking of my goals this time around: Maintain my weight, cut down on going out to eat or if I do go out, make healthier choices, and or eat only half (I've been working on this it's going well) but when I come home to NOT eat the rest the same day, it can wait til the next day so I can stay in calorie range. This is the TIP of my iceburg.
  • marilynWtx
    marilynWtx Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    My goal is to stay healthy and actually attain better health. It's possible since I struggle with emotional eating so by working on my emotions and mindset, I'm helping myself to be feel/be better in every way.

I have no trouble working out since it makes an obvious difference in my mood. I've learned not to put roadblocks up in my head. I do my best for the moment and move on and it's working for me.
  • sgod50
    sgod50 Posts: 826 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    My focus this year is going to be tracking daily, exercising enthusiastically and eating healthfully.
  • hicim705
    edited December 2023
    Options
    sgod50 wrote: ยป
    My focus this year is going to be tracking daily, exercising enthusiastically and eating healthfully.

GREAT FOCUS - short and to the point yet so powerful!
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,965 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    My goal with big changes in 2024, moving from Washington State to San Antonio, Texas, continue with my health, consistency in exercise and not struggle with emotional eating. I would love to lose at least 10 pounds in the process..
  • gouldsgranite
    gouldsgranite Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Will you continue to practice healthy habits that you have already learned and are working for you?
    I am here to continue to practice the healthy habits I've learned in previous challenges.
    Thank you to the leader team and all challengers throughout the 10 years of these trips around the world. It continues to be the time of my life.
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,965 Member
    Options
    Will you continue to practice healthy habits that you have already learned and are working for you?
    I am here to continue to practice the healthy habits I've learned in previous challenges.
    Thank you to the leader team and all challengers throughout the 10 years of these trips around the world. It continues to be the time of my life.

I agree with you on BOTH accounts, well said!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    My goal for the next year is to cut down on fats & eat veggies every day. I do eat veggies but when I run out I tend not to get some more right away. My fats are over the recommend amount & I have to figure out how to get them down. I already started but I want to learn much more how & where to do it in my meal plan
  • hicim705
    Options
    2024 on tap...amazing

2023 started out well for me and then challenges hit... at the end of the year... I wiped out all wins for the year (as far as weight loss is concerned).

So my goal for 2024 is to figure out how to not let life challenges derail me. They will always be there, I just need to learn how to navigate them and not throw up both hands.

I'm changing my focus to health and lifestyle improvements and hoping that weight loss will simply be a byproduct of other positive changes.

I've joined a few more challenges to keep me busy....might be overkill but we shall see.

I feel like you wrote this for me and that you were probably walking beside me many times this year as I just threw my hands up in the air instead of navigating the 'sometimes rough waters of life' instead of giving in. Thanks for writing this - I'm going to try to keep this in mind (I think that more challenges may be overkill for ME but good luck to YOU!!

• lavalily
    lavalily Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    My goal for the Winter 2024 Challenge is to continue maintaining my weight. I'm still working on strengthening my legs so I don't always need to rely on the walker. I also enjoy being an encourager to those who struggle with weight, either to lose or gain. I've been on both ends of that and I realize how much of a struggle it can be. Another goal I have is to remain healthy. I had a health scare this past fall and if I continue to eat correctly, that shouldn't be a problem again.
  • Sparkuvu
    Sparkuvu Posts: 2,575 Member
    Options
    To start the year focus on maintaining so I do not do my normal regain. Thankfully, I've never regained all of it, but the yearly backsides make me feel like I am spinning my wheels...and spinning my wheels makes me feel like giving up...so I should get rid of things that make me feel that way. (SOUNDS simple) Foraging out a plan to be happily more consistent would be good. I should seek out more social connections for activity....that means commitments....that I've avoided since retirement, lol, so IDK.
  • JadeGypsyxo
    JadeGypsyxo Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My goals for the new year is to become the best version of myself. I am working on healthy habits and discipline even when I don't have the motivation. Motivation is often fleeting for me. It comes and goes. But mostly goes. It's important for me to show up for myself.

I often make goals and then don't follow through with them.... in all aspects of my life. I also tend to take on TOO much and then get burnt out.

My goal is to work on my mental health as well as my physical health.
  • JanetMH1
    JanetMH1 Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    My goal for the new year is to get movement back into my days. It's been a rough year and I became something I put on the back burner. I cannot do that any longer! I'm not getting any younger. My weight number is distressing. I had to step back from the 5% for a time as it was causing me to feel guilt that I wasn't participating as I knew I should, or wanted to.

I just finished a raft of annual medical appointments/tests (gotta love how providers just disappear and I am constantly making intake appointments) and have a clear bill of health. Only negative to be found is my weight.

So step one was joining the 5% to get back the accountability and challenges. Step two will be to participate as best I can and get movement back into things consistently.
  • katiecondy1
    katiecondy1 Posts: 3,283 Member
    Options
    After a few years of feeling like a soccer ball..just banging around from goal to goal but never sticking..this year the focus is to start, stick and finish. Set small achievable goals..weekly if must be ..but set self up to be a winner!! Get in better condition..neglect is showing and post surgery is catching up to me, knee is great but general condition is questionable!
    Looking at the clock I see the sands of time are on the long end of things for me..but I intend to continue to work to be the best I can be for as long as I can. So onward , forward and if needed put on blinders so the focus is not lost.
  • EclipsedAgain
    EclipsedAgain Posts: 3,520 Member
    Options
    My main reason for returning to the 5% Challenge, is the support I receive from my teammates. My goals are to lose weight (as usual) and to lower my A1c by diet and exercise. I've lost inches and sizes, but the scale is my nemesis!
  • paceka2
    paceka2 Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    My goal for the New Year is to get back into a better routine. The last few months of 2023 have been challenging for me and I need to take control and get back to living my life! I hope to lose some weight but my main concern is to get stronger and find a way to manage the stress of everyday life! Being a part of a team helps me keep a good routine going.
  • XxAngry_Pixi
    XxAngry_Pixi Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    My Goal for the next year is to learn my limits and work out how to be happy and healthy living within them. Chronic illness has taken a lot from me in the last few years, but I'm determined to get some of my bubbly happiness back.

Starting with re losing the 5 kgs I gained with my new meds. Honestly if thats all I acheive weight loss wise in 2024 I will count that as a win, but I'd like to go further and lose double that. As it stands today, I have lost 28kg from my highest weight, and need to lose another 22 to get to a healthy weight (65kgs) (though honestly I will be reassesing this with a dr once I hit 75kgs.