Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #2: SET SOME 🥅GOALS🥅!

Options
hicim705
hicim705 Posts: 5,213 Member
edited December 2023 in Social Groups
fgx0qz1syq73.png

Plan your 5% Journey by SETTING GOALS. Our previous activity discussed why you are here and what you would like to get out of your 5% Challenge Journey. Please consider your thoughts about that first activity and expand upon those thoughts. Please think about this carefully, it may be the most important plan that you will make for the entire challenge. There are several hundred MFP members who have joined the 5% Challenge and every one of them has a unique reason for wanting to 'become healthy'. Don't look at it as losing weight, although for many, that is the ultimate goal. Think of this as a chapter in your life leading you from where you are now to where you want to be. Think of how you feel today ... think of how you want to look and feel tomorrow. Make a plan, a realistic plan that will help you get to your goal.

You won't be able to visualize what YOUR tomorrow looks like without having a plan in place. Think of your overall plan, then set some goals ~ small measurable goals to help you to. Set goals for small, specific tasks that will give you a sense of accomplishment and will help to motivate you to keep moving forward.

MFP is a site designed toward a healthy lifestyle, so you have already taken one important step in your personal healthy lifestyle journey. Yet, a healthy lifestyle is much more than what you eat or how much you exercise.

Try to think about achieving balance in your life which is necessary to have a healthy lifestyle.
~ Set a specific goal (or goals). Do you want to fit into an outfit that you haven't been able to wear in some time? Do you want to walk around the block effortlessly? Do you want to be able to bend over to tie your shoes? Remember - this is YOUR goal ... YOUR journey ~ give your goal(s) some thought.
~ Once you've decided on your goal(s), give yourself a timeline. For this purpose - you already have a timeline ... the 5% Challenge ~ commit to it! A seasonal challenge lasts 10 weeks. Each week consists of 7 days. 7 days X 10 weeks = 70 days. 70 days from beginning to end. What can YOU accomplish in 70 days?
~ WHY? Ask yourself this simple, but VERY important question. WHY are you doing this? Give this simple question some serious thought. There is no right or wrong answer to YOUR why, but be honest with the answer.
~ EXERCISE? Make an appointment to do it and put it in whatever calendar you use. Treat it as a doctor's appointment or an appointment to have your hair done. Create this appointment and stick to it ~ make it a priority. Consider a 30-minute workout at lunch time, 3 days/week or you might want to work out for 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes after work. Whatever time you have carved out for this 'self care' ~ keep this important appointment with yourself.
~ NUTRITION? How will you nourish your body? You can Google anything/everything having to do with weight loss and you will come up with a list of ‘do this’ and/or ‘don't do that’. The list is sure to include: Paleo, Atkins, Keto, Intermittent Fasting and everything in between. Most nutrition-based articles agree: nutrient-dense and well-balanced meals are what you should strive for.

📓Your assignment: Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #2: SET SOME GOALS!

In order for you to make/execute a plan, please also write it down. If you blog, that is an excellent way to record your plan ~ you will also be able to go back to review your writing and reaffirm your commitment to yourself and your healthy lifestyle. If you blog on MFP, please remember to visit: ✍️🖊️📓💻 Seasonal 5% Challenges ~ BLOGGERS!! ✍️🖊️📓💻.
Here is the link: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/143978-️-️-seasonal-5-challenges-bloggers-️-️

Remember to feel proud of each and every day that you 'work your plan', however, if you have a day where you find you stumble, don't dwell on it; pick yourself up; dust yourself off and keep walking toward your goal(s).

Feel free to add your comments to this thread outlining your goal setting plans for a successful 2024 Winter 5% Challenge (if you blog, you may add the link to your blog here or you may simply wish to copy/paste your writing here - or do both!), but please consider sharing!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PLEASE NOTE: The Seasonal 5% Challenge Teams are very active. You will be expected to participate to the best of your ability.
ALL challenge weeks run from Saturday through Friday - you will be expected to record your exercise and Living the Good Life points based on weekly Challenge Themes. You are expected to record these points daily or at least as often as you can during the week but no later than 11:59 pm each Friday (your local time). In addition, you are expected to weigh in one time per week by 11:59 pm every Saturday (your local time). Your individual team leaders and/or team mates will help to answer any and all questions about where to record your points.

🔮Our individual Winter 5% Challenge Teams are currently being set up.

✉️You will be invited to your individual team soon, in enough time to get to know your team leaders and team mates. Until then, get to know some of the Challengers that will be participating right along with you.

📢Announcements will be made when invitations to your individual teams are sent. Please visit this team, the 2024 WINTER 5% COMMUNITY TEAM often as this will be the best source for up-to-date information.

Previous Pre-Challenge Activites (consider reading/participating in one or all of them):
Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #1: INFORMATION and YOUR INPUT! ℹ️🔠
Here is the link: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/47836858#Comment_47836858

Heidi (hicim705)
Overall Co-Leader, Seasonal 5% Challenges (hosted on MFP)

Replies

• gouldsgranite
    gouldsgranite Posts: 3,500 Member
    Options
    Winter 2024 Goal - maintain my weight for 10 weeks.
    Exercise - Daily Yoga practice and walking min. 30 minutes per day
    Nutrition - Continue with current heath plan.
    Smoothies (plant based protein, fresh spinach, banana, berries and orange) for one meal most days.
    Lean protein, veggies, whole grains, legumes for one meal daily. Fish 2-3x a week. Limit sweets and snack foods, no alcohol.
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,966 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Winter 2024 Goal - maintain my weight for 10 weeks.
    Exercise - Since I’m definitely a cardio person get at least 15 mins of strength and yoga in 4 times weekly (lots of biking and walking)
    Nutrition - Meet my low carb, high protein and iron diet plus …..after dinner snacks ONLY yogurt or fruit
  • lulabelbo
    lulabelbo Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Goal - My doctor said I need to stay hydrated, so I’m going for at least 64 oz of water/day not counting coffee, tea, etc.
    Exercise - I do senior shape videos inside. I plan on walking (with my cane) at least 15 min outside 3x/week.
    Nutrition - follow the mind diet and let myself eat cookies and sweets only on weekends.t
  • cmoak54
    cmoak54 Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    2024 Winter Goals
    Improve Smart scale metrics - BMI, BF% downward trend, Hydration above 50
    Exercise - Improve. Follow daily exercise calendar, something every day. Zone minutes/wk. >350, hit peak zone > 2/week.1 guilt free exercise rest day.
    Nutrition - Improve consistency of average daily calories. Macros- more protein. Improve consistency of freggie intake to 5/day. <100 carbs/day. Maintain BG level daily average < 115.
    Pass annual physical March1 with no issues within my control; A1C <6.
    Find something to be happy about every day! Positive attitude, keep moving forward.
  • gouldsgranite
    gouldsgranite Posts: 3,500 Member
    Options
    Goal for Winter Challenge-

Practice yoga daily. Continue with the Yoga with Adriene series. Still the best and pretty much only $10 a month I spend on fitness. YWA app.

Continue daily declutter. Got most everything in its place now. Kondo, be darned! To keep up with my daily step goal of 10,000, will need to keep the party alive.

Participate daily with my 5% team, the Shape Shifters. Keep up to date with leader information. These teams are my accountability and where my like minded friends hang out.

Daily self-care. I have to write it down, still. Writing it here helps me remember to listen to my body and fill it with what it needs daily. Look myself in the eyes and smile! I'm worth it.
  • lavalily
    lavalily Posts: 2,036 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
      *Yoga daily - get back to it regularly
    • Finish clearing out boxes after my move
    • Follow the guidelines I've set for healthy living
    • Continue going to the gym and working with my trainer
    • Maintain my weight goal
    • Strengthen my legs
      @gouldsgranite I also love Yoga with Adrienne!
  • lindapost1
    lindapost1 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    Weight lose goal - Lose 5lbs or at the very least maintain my 183.8 weight
    Exercise - Take a bike right, do my exercise ball sit ups, do my dumb bell exercises and of course my stretching. All at least 5 times a week,
    Nutrition - Continue with current heath plan of the Keto diet.
  • sgod50
    sgod50 Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Goals for Winter challenge:
    • Track my macros and stay on my plan
    • Focus on getting more NEAT
    • Limit my work hours
    • Steadily increase my exercise - both amount and intensity
    • Get enough sleep and be consistent with my bedtime routine
    • Drink enough water
  • macrat12
    macrat12 Posts: 5,225 Member
    Options
    Goals for Winter Challenge:

Track my macros
    Get in at least 3-5 resistance training days
    Drink 120OZ+ of water
    Get in 60 min walk daily
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 12,124 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    2024 Winter 5% Challenge GOALS:

Why?
    I've gotten my BP down to a good rate over the Fall and kept it good during the break. WOOHOO!!! This is now achieved. WOOOHOO TO THAT!! Now though to bring peace back into my life, to stop being scared of what can happen, and embrace the changes my body insists on, have more people over, serve finger foods that are also healthy. Make all events about the people NOT the food. Eat out LESS!
    Exercise: Aiming for 30 to 40 minutes a day, hit my steps of 3500 (24,500)\ weekly goal. GET UP often instead of going for distance, make it easier on my body, burning more calories in turn throughout the day. ADD in 3 times a week aerobics/Yoga/Stretching
    Nutrition: LESS eating out, add in more healthy recipes, it's about NUTRITION not JOY. I need to wrap my head this part, sure I WANT to enjoy what I eat, but not every single meal needs to be "THE BEST EVAH!" rather focus on tasting pleasant, but also better for me. How will i do this? Watch some more healthy cooking videos. This has been something over the past few weeks I've started to do, and WOW!! It's pretty neat!! ALSO WASTE LESS FOOD!! Once I am able to be comfy in this style invite others over I do not know well.

To KEEP These all organized I'm putting them all into one document, easy to glance down through and see it all in one place. It's an idea others may wish to consider, along with blogging them. I'm going to copy and paste this to the BLOGS.
  • JanetMH1
    JanetMH1 Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    Winter 5% Goals

Exercise: Setting a timer to get up from my desk once each hour (I work at home.) and walk, exercise/do a chore for at least 10 minutes each time.
    Nutrition: Increase water intake to 56+ ounces/day. Will drink at least one glass (12 oz) during my fitness breaks.
    Why: I am no longer going to be last on my list of "projects" or importance!
  • itladyee
    itladyee Posts: 3,967 Member
    Options
    I took another look at my goals for 2023 and I still don't think they were half bad.
    Goals are supposed to be SMART, I think my goals were smart but I shall revisit

A SMART goal is smart because it is:

- Specific: Your goal statement should make it clear exactly how you need to focus your efforts. To be specific, a goal should answer the questions:who, what, when, where, and why.
    - Measurable: You want your goals to be measurable so you can track your progress. This portion of your goal statement will answer the questions how much or how many.
    - Achievable: Your goal should challenge you, but reaching it shouldn’t be impossible. You need to be realistic when setting your goals; otherwise, you will be setting yourself up for failure (and frustration).
    - Relevant: Does your goal matter to you? Will achieving it bring you closer to your ultimate vision? You have to make sure that your goal fits in with the bigger picture of your life.
    - Time-Bound: The deadlines you set for your SMART goals will prevent less important tasks from getting in your way and delaying progress. You’ll be able to keep your priorities straight when you have the sense of urgency that comes along with a deadline.

One change I'm making in 2024 is not radar focusing on weight loss. Not that I don't want to lose weight but I want to focus on the things that, as an end result, will cause me to lose weight - but not focusing on just losing weight. I hope that makes sense. I think that's where I get into trouble mentally as I either want to lose a certain amount a day/week/month and when it doesn't happen, I get frustrated and sometimes lose focus. I've had this focus before but somewhere along the way - it get's lost.

Goal#1 - Calories - 80% of the week my calories will be between 1200 and 1400, 20% of the week my calories will not exceed 1600.
    - Log each and everything that I eat and/or drink in a timely manner each day.
    - Next Target - *nutrition* and *Food combinations*

Goal#2 - Wine Reduction - Almost Dry January
    Exception days
    - January 1 - 2 Vacation
    - January 8 or designated celebration day for my husbands birthday

Goal #3 - Water - Target by the end of each week
    Ending 1/6 = 33 ounces (2 bottles)
    Ending 1/13 = 50 ounces (3 bottles)
    Ending 1/20 = 67 ounces (4 bottles)
    Ending 1/27 = 84.5 ounces (5 bottles)
    Ramp up slowly vs drinking immediately drinking 1/2 your body weight and spending tons of time in the bathroom. I'm hoping that my slowing increasing my intake will train my bladder🙂

Goal #4 - Exercise - 6 days a week.
    I started this program on 12/9 and I'm kicking it! For now. The days are getting a little tougher to get going but that's why I like the morning work out. Before my mind has a chance to object - I'm crawling out of bed and half way there.
    ST - Arms & Legs - 3x a week + 10 minute Bike and 20 minute treadmill
    ST - Chest, Shoulders, Back - 3 times a week + 30 minute treadmill
    Next Target - Core muscles

Goal #5 - Finish reading Younger Next Year, Start Reading Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit Emotional Eating
  • Sparkuvu
    Sparkuvu Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    GOALS, WINTER 2023

WHY: Because I am not feeling as well as I was.

EXERCISE: Add back the weight training that went bye-bye during illness. Just DO IT, no skipping, no excuses.

NUTRITION: continue to weigh daily and correlate gains/losses with eating. Figure out FAT content, I HATE fat and fatty texture, so where is it hidden that I apparently like? Increase protein a little & veggies. Less sugar.

• paceka2
    paceka2 Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Goals - Winter Challenge 2024

Weight: I would like to lose 1# per week to meet my 5% goal.

Exercise: I will continue with my 2-3 Pilates classes each week, I want to add 1 Cardio/Strength class, I want to start my day with a daily yoga practice, and since it's winter I will get back on the treadmill 5 days per week starting with 10 minutes and building up to 20 (or more).

Water: I have also been told by my doctor to increase my water intake, which has been challenging without my daily walks with Daisy. So I will be mindful of getting at least 8 glasses per day.

Nutrition: I want to get back to logging my food daily, increase my protein (daily protein shake), and cut back on fast food by creating healthier options from scratch. This one is a little vague, not quite sure yet how to execute.

Mental Health: There is currently a lot of stress in my life which I need to learn how to manage. I want to begin to meditate at least 5 times per week and practice box breathing daily. I also use the Curable app to help me manage my pain - I want to listen to one of the podcasts or do one of the writing exercises 3-4 times per week.

I am copying these goals to a document so I can revisit them on a regular basis!
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Winter 5% Goals

Exercise: I have a pretty good exercise routine already, but will be putting more effort into it. I do 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of strength training 5 days a week.

Weight: I will be super happy with losing the 5% which will be 8 lbs, but I am really shooting for losing 2 lbs. per week so that will be 20lbs. I'm a go big or go home kinda person.

Nutrition: Continue with IF and Keto, but will be more consistent. Definitely drink 64 ounces of water a day.

Health: My health has gone down hill this past year. My bp is borderline as well as my blood sugar. These are the things that lead into my "why'.

Why: I let a lot of things get in the way of taking care of myself and will not let that happen anymore. I've yo-yo'd too much this year and actually gained more so my ultimate goal is to lose 35 lbs. by June.

No alcohol: I let alcohol control me for far too long. It sabotaged all of my efforts and led me into not making healthy choices.

Stay mindful: I will be wintering in Florida at an RV Resort from Jan. 1-Mar. 1. I've struggled in the past with staying on track. It's hard being consistent when I'm not at home. Praying this challenge will hold me accountable.
  • SusanM18MFP
    SusanM18MFP Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Goal #1: Return to tracking meals and exercise.

Goal #2: Make at least one meal a day plant-based.

Goal #3: Add one day of strength training per week.
  • marg750me
    marg750me Posts: 2,703 Member
    Options
    To finally lose some of these last 30lbs.

Eat more fruit for snacks which is better for me

Increase strength exercising

Walk 10,000 steps a day
  • christyc1256
    christyc1256 Posts: 5,089 Member
    Options
    Goals

- Log all of my food
    - Exercise at least 30 minutes every day and a minimum of 60 minutes strength training per week
    - Drink at least 40 oz of water every day
  • Grannysue91
    Grannysue91 Posts: 4,647 Member
    Options
    Winter 5% Goals

Exercise: I need to do more stretching and strength training. I also want to start doing the chair yoga at least 3 days a week. I have so many different exercise machines, treadmill, elliptical and Teeter Step up bike and so many exercise videos that I plan to really mix things up and not get stuck on doing just one or two days of something different.

Weight: I really want to reach my 5% weight goal for this challenge. I haven't done this in a long time. I would like to get down to the 140's but have been stuck in the 160's for a while. It is still better than the 212,2 I started out with after my chemo, radiation and 5 years of lowering my hormones, two which can and does cause weight gain. So my focus is to lose the 5% of my goal.

Nutrition: I will do better at tracking my food intake, everything I put in my mouth, and be more aware of what I need to do to eat healthier than I am now. I drink a lot of water, but adding some more when I can. No soda of any kind. I love soda, but I don't need soda. A mind over matter kind of thing.

Health: I have done very well with my health. I am no longer pre-diabetic and do not those meds anymore and I am off of my BP meds and my diuretic and potassium meds. For me the worse part of my health is STRESS. I am a caregiver for my DH and last year was a very stressful one for all of the problems my DH had. I need to learn how to manage my stress better this year. I will also be working to get more steps in each week.
  • Tabatha_Cain
    Tabatha_Cain Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Winter 5% Goals:

Weight: To do my best to hit my 5% Goal.

Exercise: Increase my exercise and my steps. I want to try and get 5,000 steps or more every day. That is my goal since I work a sedentary job. I need to find a new workout program that works for me and I can get it done every day.

Nutrition: To Eat as close to my current macro percentage as possible, and to keep my calories within my daily allotment. I want to minimize my sweets to keep my glucose and A1C down. To make any adjustments needed smoothly and within too much upset.

Health: Get my glucose and A1C in top notch working order, to get out of the obese category and work on toning my muscles to increase my metabolism. Work on getting through my perimenopause without gaining weight as best I can.