Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #4: 😅Exercise Plan😅

Options
hicim705
hicim705 Posts: 5,213 Member
by31fkn6dc34.png

🗬In thinking about pre-challenge activities for the 2024 Winter 5% Challenge, in the last activity we discussed meal planning. Anytime you think of a healthy lifestyle there are two things that are usually mentioned, healthy eating and exercise. Since healthy eating was already mentioned, this activity will be highlighting the importance of exercise as you plan YOUR journey.🗭

🤔❔I started researching by asking Google:
'What is the best exercise plan for a healthy lifestyle at any age?'
Here is the first answer that was received:
Which exercise is best for a healthy life? A combination of aerobic (walking, swimming) and strength training (weights) is best. Walking is one of the easiest activities to start. You don't have to do all 30 minutes at once. Try walking for 15 minutes twice each day.

🔍I looked further at the answers and found recommendations - by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and this article has guidelines, no matter what age you are. Here is the link:
https://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/basics/age-chart.html

📼There are endless videos (many of them are free) on sites like YouTube that deal with almost any type of exercise/physical activity that you can think of from 'Couch to 5K' to Chair Exercises.

Remember, a healthy lifestyle (like almost anything else in life) must have balance. The only one that knows your body is you. The only one that knows how you are feeling is you.

If you are not used to exercise and don't know where to begin - how about just getting up and walking around the house? Once you are comfortable doing that, perhaps walk around outside of your house, down the driveway, to the mailbox, down the block. No matter what you do, getting up to move will be so good for your body and it will help you feel accomplished once you are done.

In addition to planning your personal exercise plan, why don't you take a look for your sneakers? Are they in good shape? Do they need to be replaced so you will be comfortable when walking/moving? Do you have a water bottle handy? Do you own a step tracker? Do you use it? If you like to go outside to walk, especially now that winter is on the horizon - do you have the appropriate outerwear that will ensure you aren't too hot/too cold?

> > > > Of course, any and all of these recommendations NEVER EVER supersede recommendations from your healthcare provider. We are all individuals and are all at different stages of life (and health) which sometimes dictate what we can and can't physically do. If you are under a physician's care and are unable to exercise or you must limit your exercise to accommodate your specific needs, there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't continue following your doctor's orders! < < < <

📓Your assignment: COUNTDOWN ACTIVITY #4: Exercise Plan What exercise plan will YOU follow for YOUR healthy lifestyle journey? Think of what you can easily commit to in a day and commit to that. For a few days a week, consider doing ‘just a little more’ if you can to challenge yourself.

Feel free to add your comments to this thread outlining your exercise plan for a successful 2024 Winter 5% Challenge (if you blog, you may add the link to your blog here or you may simply wish to copy/paste your writing here - or do both!), but please consider sharing!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PLEASE NOTE: The Seasonal 5% Challenge Teams are very active. You will be expected to participate to the best of your ability.

ALL challenge weeks run from Saturday through Friday - you will be expected to record your exercise and Living the Good Life points based on weekly Challenge Themes. You are expected to record these points daily or at least as often as you can during the week but no later than 11:59 pm each Friday (your local time). In addition, you are expected to weigh in one time per week by 11:59 pm every Saturday (your local time). Your individual team leaders and/or team mates will help to answer any and all questions about where to record your points.

🔮Our individual Winter 5% Challenge Teams are currently being set up.

✉️You will be invited to your individual team soon, in enough time to get to know your team leaders and team mates. Until then, get to know some of the Challengers that will be participating right along with you.

📢Announcements will be made when invitations to your individual teams are sent. Please visit this team, the 2024 WINTER 5% COMMUNITY TEAM often as this will be the best source for up-to-date information.

Previous Pre-Challenge Activites (consider reading/participating in one or all of them):
** Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #1: INFORMATION and YOUR INPUT! ℹ️🔠
https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/47836858#Comment_47836858

** Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #2: SET SOME GOALS!
https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10905532/countdown-pre-challenge-activity-2-set-some-goals/p1?new=1

**Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #3: Meal Plan
https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10905533/countdown-pre-challenge-activity-3-️meal-plan-️/p1?new=1

Heidi (hicim705)
Overall Co-Leader, Seasonal 5% Challenges (hosted on MFP)

Replies

• sgod50
    sgod50 Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    My exercise plan is to continue strength training and cardio, increasing slowly but steadily with intensity and duration. I"ll also work on balance and flexibility.
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,966 Member
    Options
    My exercise plan is to continue getting miles in for other challenges plus adding 15 mins strength and yoga in 3 times this week.
  • lavalily
    lavalily Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I set 1000 steps each day using my walker, or an average of 7,000 per week. My other exercise takes place in a gym. I go three times a week for an hour each time. One of those sessions is with my trainer. She guides me in strengthening my leg that has nerve damage.
  • macrat12
    macrat12 Posts: 5,225 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be following Daily DB 1.0 from the Team CPT app along with the Core Challenge from the same app
  • cmoak54
    cmoak54 Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    My exercise plan is to MAKE a PLAN and Stick to it! To meet and exceed my exercise commitment of 210/ week.
    Consistent daily exercise is my goal. My plan and tracking is created; alternate days on the equipment I have to improve my FitBit zone minutes (more "Peak" minutes). Move as much as I can to get my steps up to 10,000/day.
    Strength exercises - 3 days/week, emphasizing my core and improving balance.
  • itladyee
    itladyee Posts: 3,967 Member
    Options

Exercise Plan ✔️

Finally, something I have under control (for now).

On November 20th I moved into an apartment temporarily that has a nice small gym. I cancelled by gym membership (last visited sometime in 2020, maybe 2021) and committed to working out for the 6+ months that I live there.

I've been wanting to get back to strength training but not going to the gym and limited equipment at home - it just didn't happen.

On December 9, I walked into that exercise room and it's my second home!🙂

My goal is 6 days a week as discussed in Younger Next Year.
    This is my schedule right now alternating days and resting on Sundays.
    Day 1, 3, 5: ST - Chest, Shoulders, Back + 30 minute treadmill
    Day 2, 4, 6: ST - Arms & Legs + 10 minute Bike and 20 minute
    My goal is adding in stretching and core workouts so my schedule will look more like this:

Day 1, 4: ST - Chest, Shoulders, Back + 30 minute treadmill
    Day 2, 5: ST - Arms & Legs + 10 minute Bike and 20 minute
    treadmill.
    Day 3, 6: Stretching and Core Exercises - 30 minutes treadmill

The days are getting a little tougher to get going but that's why I like the morning work out. Before my mind has a chance to object - I'm crawling out of bed and half way there.

I'm not going to like Day 3 and 6, I know that now. I'm going to have to find some motivations to keep me focused especially on those days!!
  • Sparkuvu
    Sparkuvu Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    3 X a week weights
    4-7X a week walking or other.
  • EclipsedAgain
    EclipsedAgain Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    My exercise plan is what I've been doing for years. I lift weights 3 x a week, with a short cardio afterwards. The other 4 days I work on cardio. I mix it up between running, walking, bike, boxing, jump rope and aerobics/dance. I try for at least 30 minutes of cardio on those days. My lifting is usually at least 30 minutes + 10-15 minutes of cardio.
  • paceka2
    paceka2 Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I take Pilates classes - once on the Reformer (which I absolutely love), and hopefully twice on the floor. Starting in January I am adding a cardio/strength/balance class. I plan to get up a bit earlier so I can do Yoga with Adrianne daily. Although the weather has been milder, I no longer feel comfortable walking with Daisy during the winter - so I'm planning on getting on the treadmill at least 5 times a week for 15 - 20 minutes. I have a personal trainer I meet with twice a month. Every evening I end the day with a nice stretch session which relaxes me before bed time.
  • lindapost1
    lindapost1 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    My exercise plan is lacking. This is where I struggle the most. Not that I am not active, but real exercise is a different story. I am not a couch potato by any means. It is just not the same as when I was in my 40s thirty years ago. Now that I think about it maybe I expect too much for my age. I don't know! I just don't want my age to be an excuse to not do my best. I really need to re-think this.
    One thing I realize is that if I don't get it done first thing than I think I have missed my chance. But that is not so...I am retired I can do it any time! Of course being retired along with my husband does not give me the time (me time) I would like for my exercise. For one thing I do not like comments from the peanut gallery when I am trying to concentrate :p Is this another excuse?
    Maybe I try to do too many different types of exercise in the same day. Maybe besides my stretches I should do a different type of exercise each day. That's it! That is my Exercise Plan! Thanks and God bless you all for the help!
  • cmoak54
    cmoak54 Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    @lindapost1 You and I sound a lot alike. I will be 70 this year and retired, and exercise is my biggest weakness. Finding something I like to do every day is my biggest challenge. I also don't like exercising when my husband is watching (even though he is very supportive), so I usually do a 10-20 minute routine first thing in the morning before he gets up. Then later in the day I go in the basement and use the exercise equipment or if it's nice I go for a walk. I wish he would walk with me because he needs to move more, but he is not interested. Finding a routine that makes me happy is what I am looking for, but I am doing better with it than I was 3 months ago.
  • marg750me
    marg750me Posts: 2,703 Member
    Options
    1. Do a plan for tues, wed thurs at home
    2. make a plan for short weekend at work
    3. Make a plan for long weekend at work
    4. walk friday mornings

• Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 12,124 Member
    Options
    Thanks to @Harvest_Fairy a member of PS4L I made a week chart for the Practice week. I didn't label the day, but top row is Sat/Sun/Mon etc.

06onsntf947t.png

DAILY STEP GOAL: 24,500 for the WEEK
  • Grannysue91
    Grannysue91 Posts: 4,647 Member
    Options
    I will be 72 in April and I am having problems with my knees. I plan to add chair yoga to my exercise and do strength training also. I love to walk outside when the weather allows.

I plan on doing chair yoga - 3 times a week
    Stretching -strength training 2 times a week
    Cardio - Aerobics, dancing, treadmill and step up bike 5 times a week
    Walking - using my Fitbit I want to try for 5,000 steps a day.
    I love getting in my Zone Minutes up as much as I can.
    Basically, I want to move around more and get my heart rate up.
  • Tabatha_Cain
    Tabatha_Cain Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    My Exercise Plan:

This year I am working on getting into a new program. I was doing BeachBody on Demand and then the price went up on that, then I was going to Planet Fitness and they started having people break into cars and lockers in their facility and fights breaking out there so I decided no more gyms. I have literally been walking outside while on lunch. So this year I am going to find a new workout program possibly on Youtube to start watching and participating. I am going to figure out getting up early to work out before my husband gets up for the morning and I have to start my morning things.
  • vexedangel678
    vexedangel678 Posts: 263 Member
    edited January 1
    Options
    Exercise Plan -
    Regular routine:
    *20 minutes of cardio/strength 5 days a week (I like doing Nike whole body workouts on Netflix or YouTube, other YouTube workouts, DDR, boxing; and we have other cardio and strength equipment in our basement)
    *10 minute lunchtime walk ***outside*** 5 days a week

As possible/needed -
    *1 extra hike 1 day a week
    *1 yoga session 1 day a week
  • Catwmncat
    Catwmncat Posts: 6,801 Member
    Options
    My Exercise Plan:
    30 - 90 minutes on gazelle daily
    100 zone minutes daily
    Walk a minimum 250 steps 12/12 hours... 13,000 - 15,000 daily.
    FUNctional Fitness 2 - 3 days weekly.
    Will also be checking into possibly joining a gym.
  • katiecondy1
    katiecondy1 Posts: 3,284 Member
    Options
    In place ..will be fine tuning as fitness increases
    Lots of walking and cardio..strength training with weights and bands
  • Retired_Sue
    Retired_Sue Posts: 11,067 Member
    Options
    Exercise - 90-120 minutes, 6 days/week; 30-60 minutes (mostly stretching) on rest days. Workouts will consist of a combination of Pahla B videos (cardio/ST/balance), stretching, dancing, walking.
    Most exercise will be done each morning before breakfast. Some exercise might occur in the afternoons (walking)
  • sushynes
    sushynes Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Exercise Plan: already stated it

Weights: 3x a week
    Walking on weekends, weather permitting, 80 minutes around the complex
    Aerobics: 40-70 minutes a day, 3x a week at least when plantar fascitis disappears
    Elliptical: Work Up to 10 minutes twice a day at least 4 x a week by end of February
    Stretches for my heels: 3-4 times a day as long as needed
    Calisthenics: 38-42 minutes 3x a week