JUBILANT JANUARY 2024!

Options
magic71755
magic71755 Posts: 3,770 Member
u1teexg1n7e6.pngitbka9x6fm4t.pngvkij724wsgzu.png

We made it! 2024 gang and we all seem to be on the right path. How fabulous is that!

I had my sick time at the end of 2023 and I am so ready to get into exercising this month. My gym should be opening any day now...it's five minutes from my home. I signed up way back in May 2023 with a reduced rate. The one thing I am looking forward to is the sauna. Nothing like a good sweat:

Facilities offering sauna bathing often claim health benefits that include detoxification, increased metabolism, weight loss, increased blood circulation, pain reduction, antiaging, skin rejuvenation, improved cardiovascular function, improved immune function, improved sleep, stress management, and relaxation.

Here's to making the most of the New Year...remember, we are in charge of our health. We make the choices and live with the consequences.

Replies

• magic71755
    edited January 1
    Options
    Aug 8: 154.6
    Sept 1: 152.4
    Oct 1: 150.2
    Nov 1: 150.0
    DEC 1: 148.8
    Jan 1: 143.6
    8nncz6zstc62.pnguotonkv2vhil.pngija1hj9efxbm.png

Going to my sister's today...will take vegan Banh Mi (not that healthy-but stress free ...New Year's Day special)
    https://leesandwiches.com/menu/12-vegetarian/ ...We have a Vietnamese sandwich shop near me...so I will stop and pick up six of them...also, some vegan cookies to have with a cuppa tea. How easy was that!
    coffee w0citmty4gr8.png

Oatmeal for breakfast with frozen berries.
    Lunch (see above)
    Dinner when I get home...left over Siam I Am salad.
    Making life deeeeeeeelicous! 0ddqao7lnv1f.png

• SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 705 Member
    Options

nhucdcdve6u7.gif

Have a fantastic first day of 2024!
    Spring
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,897 Member
    Options
    Mornin' All! Did my usual wild and crazy NYE dinner and a movie with my brother. It's nice to be home getting ready for bed by 9:00. I slept in until 7:30 this morning too... it's like a real holiday!

Nanc, hope you have fun with your family today. Wow, you are really getting close to your goal! I have a good feeling you are going to make it this year! Glad you're feeling better.

Happy New Year to you too, Spring! When did you say you are leaving for your BIL's place?

I just saw something last night that the Daily Harvest foods are supposed to be available at Kroger now. I didn't realize that. From the Daily Harvest website, it doesn't look like they carry them at the store I usually visit but at a couple other stores nearby so I'm going to check those. When I search the Kroger website they don't show up though.

Big plans for a productive day. Have two more loads of laundry to do, towels and blankets. Going to clean out a couple drawers in the kitchen that have got cluttered up, then tackle my walk-in closet. I have two long overhead shelves plus 4 shelves wall to wall along the back. I got some of those wire shelf dividers and hoping it will help me keep it organized. I want to set a goal of spending half an hour on the house every evening speed cleaning a room or reorganizing a couple cabinets. Things like that.

Need to do a little cooking. Looking forward to my black eyed peas and cabbage. Also making balsamic roasted mushrooms, mini peppers, and beets, and pickled onions. My salads this week are going to be soooo good!

And last but not least, I need to get some work done today but going to try to limit it to a few hours.

• Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year! I hope everyone has a wonderful start to 2024.

I'm looking forward to a year of healthy food choices and plenty of activity thanks to my VR games.

Congrats on your weight loss progress, Nanc. You rocked 2023.
  • Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone.

Have my goals set out for the year and broken down for the month of January
    This is what I want to accomplish this month
    1) Eat according to my plan every day
    2) Drink 72 oz of water daily
    3) Walk on treadmil 30 minutes every day
    4) Track all my food for the month
    5) Read through the Bible in One Year with my sweet husband
    6) Quallity prayer time
    **7) Lose 5 pounds this month

Today's weight: 239.8 goal it to be at 234.8 on January 31

dwue7o5r774d.jpg
  • Mihani
    Options
    I got all the laundry caught up (4 loads of towels and blankets!), reorganized the pantry, and cleaned out the two kitchen drawers that were all cluttered. Then I got bogged down in work for more hours than I hoped so I don't know if I'll get to the closet project today. Need to get on cooking now unless I want dinner at 10:00.

Marilyn, great goals. How have you been feeling?

Carla, you make me want one of those headsets, but I have such a short attention span that I am reluctant to buy anything these days.

Okay, off to cook! Feeling good about what I've accomplished today. Hope I can stay this productive through the new year.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    Magic, Great job with the weight loss! How was your day at your sister's?
    Mihani, I checked out the Daily Harvest site - I like their ingredient lists, only real food and no preservatives or addititives. They're not listing the Kroger near me, but they do have the one near my sister listed so, next time I'm at her place, I can check it out. Thanks for the info.
    Carla, your plan is so straightforward and simple, I'm sure you'll have a great 2024. I'm afraid to try the VR thing. I keep seeing videos of people falling over their furniture and breaking their TVs, etc. LOL
    Marilyn, your goals sound very clear and achievable.

My 2024
    Early 60s, 5'-8" (ish)
    SW (02.10.22) - 150 lbs
    CW - 151.4 (01.01.24)
    January GW - 145.0
    Final GW - 125 lbs (or may possibly stop at 130, depending on how I feel and look)

I had lost about 15 pounds last year, but the last couple months I have really not been taking such good care of myself and the scale is showing it. I posted on the December thread, but I'll repeat here.

I'm making a commitment to start in January vegan-forward - basically 100% vegan at home and as vegan as I can when out. I've done it for weeks at a time, but just always fall back to eating cheese. I'm also going to cut out the processed food - it might be giving me a lot of protein, but it's also giving me a lot of sodium, sugar and preservatives. So 2024 is my year to truly go Whole Food, Plants Only!

I also have to commit to a regular gym routine - it's been pretty inconsistent since mid-September and I need my workouts back! A couple days of step classes, couple days of treadmill, ST 2x/wk and a few yoga and Tai Chi classes.
  • magic71755
    edited January 2
    Options
    Smiley NOT working at all today...darn.

Morning all...

Great goals everyone...I wish us all the strength and perseverance to make them happen!

I called on my gym membership yesterday.... A lovely gentleman gave me the 411. They open on January 17...I have an appointment next Sunday to go over my goals and sign up for a trainer to get me started on the machines so that I am using them correctly. I can only go three days a week..Sat - Mon. But that's ok, I will still get strong in 2024.

Have tests this month for the Cardiologist (plant-based and friends with Dr. Campbell -- hehe dropping names here) and then a follow-up appointment in February to go over everything.

I bring that up because at my initial appointment she mentioned how important strength training is...do not just do cardio. So good for all of you getting into weights. I am taking to heart what she recommended.

I had the best time at my sister's. I go back on Saturday ... niece goes back to Houston on Sunday. We are going to Pita Jungle...so easy to eat plant-based there. HURRAY!

today

coffee
    just egg with spinach
    sandwich
    oatmeal with flaxmeal and oat milk
    tea and crackers for a late snack.

Make it deeeeeeeeeeelicious everyone.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    dds5cq8wl1bu.jpg
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    Magic, how lucky you are to have a plant-based doctor!
    My first day of the year went ok - ate well and stayed in my calorie range, but didn't get any good exercise in; just the work I put into the mu shu veggie dish I made for dinner.
    Today is better. Had good breakfast and lunch and had a 45-minute step/sculpt class this morning then did a couple of arm exercises upstairs on the machines.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    I got the year off to a fantastic start. I managed to not have any added sugar and stayed on plan with my food - and no snacking after dinner. I earned over 100 zone minutes because there is a Madonna playlist workout in Supernatural VR that is medium intensity and quite long. There wasn't a low intensity option and I was feeling Madonna. I ended up with a very high heart rate, so I will put off the medium intensity longer ones until I am more fit. (but super fun, looking forward to being able to rock that one again)

@Marilynsretired Great goals! Nice to have the shorter term weight loss goal to help keep you motivated and on track.

Spring, yup I've watched those VR 'fail' videos, too. There was one where a guy fell over because he was trying to lean on the virtual pool table he was playing on. Nice workout this morning!
  • magic71755
    Options
    qr4cu93rrvlr.png

I am wishing everyone a wonderful day... a late start so just a quick hello!

Do make it delicious, won't you?
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Ruby was feeling sick yesterday and was very slow to eat her breakfast. I am happy to report that she ate normally at dinner last night and again this morning. And her butt is wiggling again!

I got in 60+ zone minutes and 7000+ steps yesterday for activity and stayed on track with food.

Today will be day 3 with no sugar. No withdrawal headaches so far.

I normally don't talk about what I'm having for breakfast or an afternoon snack because it is usually up in the air. If Joe is making his oatmeal right around the time I am ready for breakfast, I will join him. Smoothies aren't really appealing right now, but they are always the plan. And yesterday morning I ended up having baked tofu with buffalo wing sauce.

Lunch was a slice of Ezekiel with natural peanut butter.
    Dinner was enchiladas verde with rice and cruciferous slaw with an amazing dressing.

Same dinner for tonight.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    Day 3 of making serious changes to my lifestyle. So far so good. Have not reached 72 oz of water yet but getting more every day.

On Monday made a really good Beef (I used chicken) and Vegetable soup. The recipe came from a website of a fellow who has kidney failure and has improved his numbers. On his website he has a cook book you can print up nowing all the recipes are with the foods that we can eat. None of them have salt in them but plenty of other herbs and spices. I really enjoyed the soup - and am about to have another bowl of it shortly for my lunch - and my husband who seems to think he needs to salt everything even enjoyed it. When it was all ready and we sat down to have some - I told him he could then add some salt if he really felt he needed it. His response was that it is a soup he would make all the time due to how tasty it is.

Have lost 0.7 of a pound since Monday according to my scale and am happy about that. And am tracking my blood pressure as blood pressure is a big thing that affects your kidneys. It has been in a good range each time.

Will see on Tuesday when I get officially weight at my TOPS meeting what my weight will be. Am working on a goal of 5 pounds to lose this month - so am remembering every morning to eat properly in order to make this goal. Now it is time for me to get up and walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes - that is a long time for me so hoping I can do it - but 15 minutes would be a good start but aiming for 30 minutes.

srtb6o3bf7ch.jpg
  • Mihani
    Options
    Carla, glad to hear Ruby is okay.

Gals, I'm swamped at work and really stressed out so I haven't been posting much. I hope by this weekend things will settle a bit, but for now just a quick check-in.
  • magic71755
    edited January 4
    Options
    Stressed at work...that seems about right for this time of year...((((((((((((((((Mihani)))))))))

Keep posting ladies...more involvement the better.

Cleared the kitchen of all naughty items...

today
    coffee
    oatmeal with flax and raisins
    sandwich on Jewish Rye
    Mad Greens vegan salad
    Early to bed. Tomorrow is FRIDAY! xkw5nzayj1yq.png

Glad Ruby is back to eating. That is always disturbing for a dog mom.

Great job posting, Marilyn. Keep it up.

Later, ladies. Make it deeeeeeeelcious.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    @Marilynsretired great progress! Always nice to find a go-to recipe that you both enjoy.

Sorry things are so busy at work, Mihani. There never seems to be down time at your office to regroup.

Yesterday I had less than 5000 steps and only 7 zone minutes. I did one walk with Ruby and Radar, but didn't get in any VR time as the batteries in the hand controllers died and the rechargeables I have on hand didn't work. I should have replacement batteries today.

Yesterday's food:
    blueberry walnut oatmeal
    enchiladas dinner repeat
    fruit salad
    halo orange
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    Carla, glad to hear Ruby rebounded so quickly.
    Marilyn, it sounds like you found a good source to help you out with your kidneys - I hope you see better numbers next time you go to the dr.
    Mihani, I hope you get a less stressful year at work in 2024.
    My week has started out good with tracking and exercise, but we had some ricotta cheese left in the fridge so I'm not quite vegan yet since I'm finishing that up (I hate to throw food out) :s
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    am enjoying the food program that the kidney doctor has approved - lots of veggys and fruit but they say I can have a little chicken or turkey (no red meat) to help with protein but am on a low amount of protein as protein is hard on kidneys when they start to fail.

Since January 1 (today is day 4) I have lost 1.2 pounds and just generally feeling better. Will see what my blood work for January to see if what I am doing is helping to bring up my numbers

d5pccyraqdhp.jpg
  • magic71755
    edited January 5
    Options
    I know it's not Mardi Gras yet...but this is so cute, I have to use it several times...still no moving smileys but at least I can get them to copy and paste. kf13l6r5ywgo.png

Still coughing like a son of a gun...I guess it lasts for a long time. And my voice is not back to normal. Mornings are my best time...right after my hot shower. By 4ish, I am ready for bed.

Stay healthy, my friends...this was NO picnic!

Today's plan:

coffee
    Just Egg Frozen on toast with jam
    Sandwich
    Mad Greens Salad
    Ninja Creami
    klzzxhfmozrj.png

Living life deeeeeeeliciously!

PS: My niece is now sick...so not sure I am going to my sister's tomorrow. Sunday, I will go to Sprouts and finally do a good veggie shop and get busy with more fruits and veg in my life.

Mommy Tang did a fun YouTube a few weeks back. She made spring rolls but she did not close them up...instead, she jam-packed them with veg and rolled them like a burrito...much easier to do, than making cute little spring rolls. I might try that on Sun/Mon.

later, gang