Vegan Keto

Options
sueellen561
sueellen561 Posts: 2 Member
Hi, i did Keto, successfully, several years ago when i was a meat eater. I no longer eat meat or their by-products so I've been investigating Vegan Keto, which basically means getting protein from plant sources. Just a lot of research. Very little support. On my own. Was wondering if anyone else was on a similar journey. Thanks, sue

Replies

• maggybd
    maggybd Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi @sueellen561

Are you still around? I am also doing (mostly) vegan keto and I need a friend!
  • sueellen561
    sueellen561 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, i finally checked the ;community' board. Yes, I am still mostly vegan except for a few things. I am focused, for health reasons, on loosing weight. Since the summer, I am down 25 lbs. very slow. but steady. I do have 2 eggs for breakfast with cheese, and I have a low cal yogurt (Chobani Zero) as a snack. My health provider gave me these guidelines: 60g protein, 60g fat, and 60g carbs (i compute my own net carbs). Where I struggle, since I do not cook much, is on finding variety. Salads are getting old, and with the winter, i'm looking for warm meals. I think I've just been lazy. its a hectic time of year and I dread visiting with folks. They pepper me with all kinds of VEGAN questions - with a tone that it is not OK. Their meat eating ways are challenged and they have to defend themselves. I do not preach my ideas but they feel free to preach to me. Ugh. Anyway, enough for now. Don't know if you'll read this.

When I reach my goal weight, I will gradually add foods that I am leaving out for now. I need to see how my body reacts. Again, health reasons.

Take care, happy holidays,
    Sue Dec 22, 2023
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I can't help with this. I am going the other way to more meat based. My only comment is that you can lose weight simply by restricting calories. I do Keto due to other health issues beyond simply losing weight. I was losing weight just fine tracking calories with no real thoughts about my macros. Now that I am eating Keto/Carnivore I find this approach works better for me personally, but my weight loss rate was basically the same as it was just counting calories, it is other health markers that really improved for me along with the ability to adhere to the way of eating far better.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    Hi, i finally checked the ;community' board. Yes, I am still mostly vegan except for a few things. I am focused, for health reasons, on loosing weight. Since the summer, I am down 25 lbs. very slow. but steady. I do have 2 eggs for breakfast with cheese, and I have a low cal yogurt (Chobani Zero) as a snack. My health provider gave me these guidelines: 60g protein, 60g fat, and 60g carbs (i compute my own net carbs). Where I struggle, since I do not cook much, is on finding variety. Salads are getting old, and with the winter, i'm looking for warm meals. I think I've just been lazy. its a hectic time of year and I dread visiting with folks. They pepper me with all kinds of VEGAN questions - with a tone that it is not OK. Their meat eating ways are challenged and they have to defend themselves. I do not preach my ideas but they feel free to preach to me. Ugh. Anyway, enough for now. Don't know if you'll read this.

When I reach my goal weight, I will gradually add foods that I am leaving out for now. I need to see how my body reacts. Again, health reasons.

Take care, happy holidays,
    Sue Dec 22, 2023

Sorry I'm late. My life is bananas. (Which aren't keto but are vegan :wink: :joy: )

Check out Healthful Pursuits if you haven't. She has vegan keto recipes on her page.
    https://www.healthfulpursuit.com/roundup/keto-vegan-vegetarian-recipes/
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    This is about a dr. who does vegan keto. There is a podcast and also a couple of cookbooks mentioned on the page. Be sure to listen to the podcast, this dr. is a surgeon and also Type 1 diabetic, interesting lady for sure.
    https://ketowomanpodcast.com/carrie-diulus/